Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Feb 25, 2006, 1:19 PM   #41

So far I'm impressed. I did take it into a very low-lit pub on holiday - it was dark! This image was grainy which I expected. In what most would consider normal low-light it performs excellent. I really cant believe the quality you get out of this device for the money.
Nessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2006, 1:49 PM   #42

Hi to everyone.

I'm quite interested in a digilife ddv 1000 (or ispan ddv 920 that i understood are the same thing.) I've read in this topic that some of you own one of this: can you tell me how it works with video in the low light? and how the flash works in the dark with pictures? And,the most important thing for me, how the stabilizer works? is it really helpful or it damages the quality of the video?

Thank you very much!!!!
streetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 3:07 PM   #43
NX3

aijuswannasing, I was just up in Whistler got loads of footage with a DDV-1000. Low light for photo and film outside was surprisingly good but still low-life. Indoor it got a bit grainy sometimes.

I thrashed my camera on the slopes, its got covered in snow, very cold and wet and kept on working Quality of recordings was great on highest settings. I had a 1gb SD card so left on high.

In bright light, off the snow, into the sun even (not directly) it works well getting the colours. The sound recording was good as well give the mic is just built-in to the unit.

Photo came out pretty nice, not as nice as Sony DSC-P7 3m but close. Colour reproduction was a little darker.

It says it can fit 1h 20m on 1gb but I never really tested it. Anyway on similar settings on a Samsung Miniket that costs three times the price the DDV-1000 had no pixilisation compared to the miniket ! Miniket has optical zoom and copes in the dark better but I still rate the DDV-1000 as really good for the money.
NX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 10:55 PM   #44

streetracer wrote:
Quote:
Hi to everyone.

I'm quite interested in a digilife ddv 1000 (or ispan ddv 920 that i understood are the same thing.) I've read in this topic that some of you own one of this: can you tell me how it works with video in the low light? and how the flash works in the dark with pictures? And,the most important thing for me, how the stabilizer works? is it really helpful or it damages the quality of the video?

Thank you very much!!!!
The image stabilization is done with software - digital processing of the image. It takes a "window" of about 90% of the surface of the sensor being used. As the camera moves, it keeps recording 90% of the surface, but shifts what's recorded to counter whichever direction it senses the image moving. It does that sensing by "memorizing" what's on one or several spots, and keeping track of where that spot moves.

Of course, if you're panning, the "window" eventually bumps into the side of the portion of the sensor being used, so at that point the camera decides you're panning and stops trying to compensate for the panning. It can't do anything about it anyway. I belive it continues stabilizing in the other planes.

Fancier digital stabilization uses the corners, and so have some ability to distinguish a desired pan from hand shake. But not perfectly.

The other downside is that the 90% is then blown back up to 100%, so you lose 10% quality. I'm not sure the numbers are accurate for these cameras, but the principles are the same.

This is why optical stabilization is better - there's no loss in image quality.

Still, unless I'm using a tripod, or brace the camera against something, I find it highly desirable to have the stabilization on. I take a lot of stuff with me and the camera in motion, and on hybrids without stabilization, far too much footage wasn't worth keeping because of camera movement.

A problem to watch out for is that the "window" amounts to a small amount of zoom. Unlike using the real zoom feature, this does not show up in the viewfinder. So bear in mind when using the stabilization that there is some invisible cropping going on.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2006, 7:34 AM   #45
NX3

I had stabilization on all the time, recording while skiing etc and it helped really well. Also recorded going on the tube park Compared to recording without we got something watchable as I slide down so it is a handy feature.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 9:47 AM   #46

Hey NX3,

Thanks for the reply. Whistler? Thats awesome!

heh. Just wondering, where did u purchase your camera from? If over the net, were you charged much extra for customs? I always get hit bad from customs for some odd reason.

yeah.. darn i wanna hit the mountain but too busy w/ school. I dont even get a spring break! Crazy wheather we're having in Vancity but i know it must still be good up there in whistler. (snow wise)

aijuswannasing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 9:50 AM   #47

lol, spirit,

ii just realized ur from BC too. haha, Crazy. i swear BC's full of us gadget freaks. lol. YAY!!

oh yeah, and same question to you from above.
aijuswannasing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 3:12 PM   #48
NX3

I'm in England, I was on vacation in Whistler. It was quite good, might go again ;-) Great time and camera worked out really well. I got mine from ebay uk, sorry.

Only issue I have was I was going to make a DVD of my footage. Something I'd not realised before is the DDV-1000 records xvids at 30fps and PAL runs at 25 fps. Doh. Still I'll sort something out, might leave at mp4 disc at 30 fps.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 5:06 PM   #49

don't you love it 50 htz or 60 htz if you got the converter software you may lower down the rate fps but I think the res will be smaller.

if you have a vcr and able to playback record to tape then to dvd?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2006, 10:09 PM   #50

aijuswannasing wrote:
Quote:
lol, spirit,

ii just realized ur from BC too. haha, Crazy. i swear BC's full of us gadget freaks. lol. YAY!!

oh yeah, and same question to you from above.
Yes, I'm from Vancouver, and we do seem to be well represented here.

The only legal means I can suggest to avoid the duties is to find nominally Canadian suppliers, such as queenofglitter. This raises good questions, though. I understand there is no duty on computer equipment. Digital cameras are basically special-purpose computers. So are they cameras or computers for the purpose of duty? Does anyone know where there's a list of what products are subject or exempt from duty? I recently went to some trouble to get a car manual from the US, then discovered books are exempt from import duties. The government website seems strangely unhelpful in this regard.

And yes, I use my Digilife for videoing skiing, from downhilling at Whistler, to backcountry, to XC track skiing. The best clips are from cruising down XC runs filming people as you catch up and pass them, turning the camera to look back at them. The DDV-810 works better than the 720 for this, as the 720 rapidly lurches between lighting types depending on exactly where the camera is pointed. The 810 is not immune from this, but isn't as hyper about it. The stabilization is indispensable. These cameras have a lot of trouble dealing with the range of contrast in snow scenes, so cloudy days work best.

Rather than use the digital zoom, I often approach or back away from a subject. Again, the clips would be unusable without the stabilization (and 30fps).

sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote