Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 10, 2006, 7:32 PM   #1

Hello all. I came around this forum looking for answers on how good the current hybrid recorders have come around. I see digilife has attracted my attention compared to mustek and aiptek.

Here is a good one for you guys, i use my mustek to record voice lectures in my class from way back up against the wall, i have a dv4500. it records fine and i love the fact that i have 2 AA batteries 1200mah (correction -2x 2200mah aa batteries). Is there a camera out there that is comparable to the digilife dv-1000 or m1 or v1 which does not use that proprietary garbage and can run on 2 AA batteries? i need it because i record 6-8 hours lecture a day and i reconvert to low mpeg audio or ogg for playback on my zaurus c1000 or also video playback on my zaurus c1000.

thanks.....
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2006, 7:47 PM   #2

As i went to a expo, but you may try if its not too late (lol0 to go t olas vegas and see th newer models out.

mostaa systems are obsolete. having that mustek is perfect. we know the battery life is endless but does not support higher sd capacity . Mustek has dropped their lin of dv series of the 200,3000,3500,4000,4500,5000 series

now they are all lithiums 3.694.5vdc0 single or triple cell in one battery. Allowing you to get addtional ones at a local shope

Supacam I higheyl DO NOT recommendsays they are garanteed 5 hour battery life . not at all, 2 hour max, the Aiptek I am favouring is at 2 hours and the screen is perm on

the Mustek is a lower tft and can be shut offstick with what you got andresearch for your answer in the hybrid list or brief description

gonna be hard to finda aa system unless you go voice recorder only..........
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 7:52 PM   #3

Voice recording on the MPVR is EXCELLENT. I highly recommend it.

Read my topic...all ...only 3 pages:O?! meh well read all 3 pages then as I go into quite a bit of detail about the awesomeness that is the MPVR...sometimes a little TOO much detail lol :G

Oh and battery life is ~3 hours with the standard 850mAh 8210 battery it comes with. That's with the screen ON the entire time.

Haven't really tested voice recording ONLY though. I'm sure it would last MUCH longer in the voice recording mode.

3FaCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 9:34 PM   #4

thanks for the advice. i need to make a correction though. i use 2x 2200mah for a total 4400mah. so i really need battery capacity for this venture. all in one and also carry battery capacity which is not proprietary.

ill be doing some research on the side.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 9:53 PM   #5

Uhmmmmmmmmmmmmm, mAh isn't as important as BATTERY TYPE.

AA is NOT as long lasting as Lithium Ion no matter WHAT the mAh is. I've had 2 2000mAh batteries in my 4500 for ...well since I got it and guess what? The 8210 Li-Ion battery in my MPVR lasts LONGER than those two batteries. Reason being is Ni-MH batteries (the kind I have) loose a percentage of their charge over time (although now, it's not REALLY so bad, used to be). Li-ion NEVER looses it's charge, well unless you mistreat it by exposing it to extreme heat/cold.

But I could be wrong, feel free to delete this post if I am...I am aren't I? lol oh well I DO know this, AA is NOT as long lasting as Li-Ion even if the mAh is 2 or 3x greater. :O:?:G
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:27 PM   #6

okay, my bro says lithium is way better and of course mah does not matter in this case. But my problem would be recording up to 9 hours of lecture per day max.np 60 lithium battery doesnt sound like it will last too long.

say... i was wondering if there is a way to carry a bettery pack that i can attach to it to preserve the battery while the battery pack is being drained and then goes from backup to main np 60 bat? what is used to charge the unit and what battery packs are availavble for the unit? i use a pelican battery charger for my zaurus when i take long trips. like right now, i been browsing the net for the past 8 hours not needing a charge and wireless.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:47 PM   #7

Cresho wrote:
Quote:
okay, my bro says lithium is way better and of course mah does not matter in this case. But my problem would be recording up to 9 hours of lecture per day max.np 60 lithium battery doesnt sound like it will last too long.

say... i was wondering if there is a way to carry a bettery pack that i can attach to it to preserve the battery while the battery pack is being drained and then goes from backup to main np 60 bat? what is used to charge the unit and what battery packs are availavble for the unit? i use a pelican battery charger for my zaurus when i take long trips. like right now, i been browsing the net for the past 8 hours not needing a charge and wireless.
check out ebay for spare batteries. There's a guy on there selling 830mAh 8210 li-ion batteries for .99 with $4.00 shipping. I have one, and the battery life is about 2/3rds of the official Aiptek, but still, it was only $5.00! Pick up 2 for around $10 and you've got a full 8 hours of VIDEO/PIC taking/MP3 listening/video playback...probably much longer for just audio.

The MPVR comes with a 4 hour charger(depends on the charge of the battery, half full battery-2 hours, quarter full-1 hour). So with 2 batteries you could be using one, charging the other and when one is done the other would be very close to finishing it's charging. So when the battery dies, you can easily just pop the cover, switch in the new battery and ....navigate the menu to audio and press the record button. Simple, but you MAY miss ~10-15 seconds of audio, not too bad. I'm sure with 2 batteries you could easily reach the 8 hour mark. But again, I haven't tested it. I WOULD, but my MPVR is currently being exchanged so....when I get my new one, I will test it. :G
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:47 PM   #8

If you leave the Li-ion battery in the camera and don't use it for a while, the battery will lose part of its charge. At least, that's the case with my4 Li-ion cameras.

It's better to remove the battery when not using the camera.
Old HACer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:51 PM   #9

^That's true, but that's like 2 weeks+ of no use. I HIGHLY DOUBT you can go for 2 whole weeks without using your MPVR! Well I know I couldn't! :G

Also, if you WERE to leave your battery unused for that long, it's best to leave it at about 50% charge. Read that somewhere. Or did I ??!:O

WHOAAAA!!!! SAME TIME POST!!!! HIGH FIVES!!!! :G
Old Jan 11, 2006, 12:00 AM   #10

I use my mustek dv 4500 everyday and everyday for the past 2 years maybee. and i recently found out how do disable the backlight when recording voice conversation. I do videos and pictures. but for weddings, i use the fujifilm finepix camera...

ill look into the spare lithium suggestions. Hopefully i can find a cig car lighter for the lithium>? do they make em at all>?