Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 17, 2006, 11:04 AM   #1

I recieved my DDV-1000 yesterday and I must say it looks fabulous. As for video converting, I managed to get a DVD on a 1gb sd card running excellent with no video problems.

I looked at a few files and did a comparison between the file output of the DDV-1000 and a file output from my regular software encoders.
-bit-color usually is around 24 compared to 16 and this is the main reason why people seem to be having problems encoding videos to play on the dv camcorder.
-also, bit rate is a problem, if its too big or small, the device will not handle it correctly and it will either look bad or video jerk. File output of the device is arount 220-330kbps. These will work correctly.
-another problem is audio codec, it seems to be mp3 64-128kbs.

The way I went about it was install the Ulead "VideoStudio 8.0 SE DVD" and including the xvid codec along with all other options. ffvfw is also needed and will pop up for permission to install.

adding videos is simple. i used "little nemo" in the process and also some home grown movies I have.

process...
1-start up "VideoStudio 8.0 SE DVD"
2-choose "video studio movie wizard"
3-insert videos and click next (will not accept .vob files unless they are converted to .mpg-ill explain this later)
4-skip type template
5-click on "create video file" and choose xvid, pick destination, give it a name
6-click save and its recoded.
8-rename "little-nemo.avi" to "CLIP0001.avi" and copy the file to "your camera-DCIM-200MOVIE-CLIP0001.avi.

note- if you have "hide extension for known file type"enabled, renaming the "little-nemo" to "CLIP0001" will work just fine. even renaming to "CLIP1000" will work (without quotation marks) and also, clip1000 will work. as long as you keep the format filename clip0001 through clip1000, it will work just fine.

if you want to play this file in another computer, in the cd under d-Xvid-xvid.exe yours might be d: were this is the cd directory and d-Xvid-xvid.exe

copy xvid.exe to a thumb drive or burn it to a cd if you want 2mb and execute it in the other pc for viewing. this is the codec which enables the pc to view the file.

I just want to add that the .avi extension is an excellent file compared to .wmv, or .asf. It is transferable to any operating system like linux and apple playable compared to proprietary format such as .asf. It is a standard.

xvid is an excellent codec because it is free and downloadable, made by people who work on it on their spare time, http://www.xvid.org/ and installable over the net. It is created by dedicated users and is open source under the "GNU General Public License, and the Free Software Foundation." which i greatly support. It is a superb compressor

The audio is mp3 and you don't need to install any codec for this one since its already built into modern day operating systems.

Digilife knew exactly what people wanted and for this they used a GNU license which makes the product cheaper (you don't pay companies the right to use the xvid codec like .mpeg2 or .asf to microsoft), it is a standart .avi file extension, and is cross recodable as long as all codecs are installed.

Let me know if it helped you.
Cresho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2006, 11:23 AM   #2

I updated the instructions again.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 6:07 PM   #3

It would help me, if I had a DDV-1000 :G

Very clear and easily understandable

3FaCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 7:42 PM   #4

It will help me shortly.:-)
Old HACer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 10:14 PM   #5

Old acer...were like neighbors. Longbeach>? Huray!

BTW 3face, i can help you guys out putting videos into your camera. NOt sure if you guys posted tutorial on doing this. both you and fishy posted extremely well reviews on your units and i love it. The user interface makes the DDV-1000 look like silly screensaver.

I just need a video to raw video to analyze.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 3:33 AM   #6

cres. I have a demo on vid it is pass page one and also in that review. so i sent a pm and if you need some footage let me know meaning live footage over putfile andyoutube. what type of scenery (lol)
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 8:50 PM   #7

Thanks for posting the instructions. One thing though. It takes a millenium to convert the file. Is there any other way that you recommend or should I just grit my teeth and bear it?
ceb0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 9:13 PM   #8

yes... the process is slow. in advanced mode, you can do things in batched mode and leave 1 or more files to be recoded overnight(like 10 dvd movies) and have 10 movies done by morning.

i never sit around waiting for them to be completed. I always do them over night unless its a 30 minute cartoon or something.

roughly, i can encode a movie in the same amount of time it has. 1 hour movie is reincoded in 1 hour.

using other softwares, i can have a star wars movie from my dvd collection 150mb big. i have a 6gb microdrive for my zaurus and can hold over 30 full length movies and alot of audio.
----------------------------------
pc specs.
32 inch hdtv monitor
gigabyte mobo with athlon 2600xp
1gb ddr memory
1 tera disk space (1000gigs)
nvidia 6800gt
avermedia tv
5.1 soundcard from creative
extensive audio, video usb firewire inputs
all media card reader and cd dvd rw etc drives.
----------------------------------
Old Jan 19, 2006, 4:44 PM   #9

good stuff
mld03c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2006, 9:44 PM   #10

yes...1000 gigs...not mb