Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 25, 2006, 10:32 PM   #1

Thanks all for your help in my deciding what camera to buy. But I forgot to ask an important question. I'm considering the Digilife DV-1000 and the Aiptek MPVR. The Aiptek website notes that some of their camera models drain batteries within days even if it is shut off. BAD!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"So those of you who own the MPVR or the DV-1000... do you experience drainage of your battery even if your camera sits unused for a month? I know they are rechargeable lithium-ions, but I don't feel like charging them up every week just to be able to use my camera!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I'm sure I'll think of some other question I forgot to ask. This website is a god-send for research and help with digital cameras. Glad I stumbled across you all.
RaeRae1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2006, 11:12 PM   #2

Oh, see, I forgot to ask something already! Does the MPVR also function as a webcam? I don't see mention of it. Thanks!
RaeRae1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 11:27 PM   #3

If youare not going to use a camera for long periods of time, remove the battery and store it separately.

I don't own the MPVR, so I don't know theshelf life of the battery in the that camera.

I haven't had my DDV-1000 long enough to test it for shelf life
Old HACer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 11:28 PM   #4

There seems to be some disagreement whether the MPVR works as a webcam, but I believe it does.

As for the batteries discharging, you could confirm this by doing some Internet research about the characteristics of the different types of batteries.

My experience is the the batteries in these cameras hold their charge pretty well. I wouldn't worry about it. If it goes dead, the camera won't lose its settings anyway. It's no different from storing it with no battery inserted. To tell the truth, I've never gone for more than a week without using these cameras.

Note that the Aiptek MPVR is basically the same camera as the Digilife DDV-810. The Digilife DDV-1000 is a substantially better camera. Check the specs in the Hybrid List for the differences. The MPVR/810 also uses a different chipset from the 1000. This means their detailed characteristics have many differences. Each have their pros and cons, but I like the 1000's feature set better.

Expect to pay a lot more for a 1000 than the MPVR.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 2:17 AM   #5

have to ask yourself some very simple questios:

1. how does the clock/date stat in the camera during shut off?

2. what will happen if it sits for extended periods? battery is older, etc

the date/time is charged by the battery, and the camera has to have some type of internal copaciter, or battery even a memory motherboard battery. you may leave the the battery in for 4 moths my AIPTEK 5300 is ticking and I left it at the last cell on red the last time I used it , it turns on it works, but for how long . possably 10 minutes or less .

The same with all hybrids. there is no drain at all, it was Aiptek , the site that had to make that statement to cover some angles. sitting batteries will drain but very lil. sitting rechargables when older will lose their charge, faster sitting alone and inside a camera.

batteries tend to leak, and when on svacation is is a good idead to UNPLUG your tv set one major thing you should always due, why dust collects on the top gets it and poof fire,

It happened, the tv is always on standby never off. it may look off but it is not. that holds true for batteries to. they heat up and leak (in that sense of a way0
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 11:35 AM   #6

The MPVR IS A WEBCAM. If you buy one today, it will function as a webcam. The older models of the MPVR didn't for some reason, but today all you have to do is hit menu when connected to the PC via USB and select camera. Load up any webcam software (NOT provided on the MPVR disc) and your good to go. Works with everything I've tried it with so far and its a GREAT webcam too

Oh and about the battery, with ANY lithium ion battery/camera it's best to store it outside of the camera if your not going to use it for awhile (week or more). Although I wouldn't think the MPVR would drain it if it's completely powered off. Don't know though.:?
3FaCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 1:33 PM   #7

a lil off topic this webcam feature I need to know on the box guys and gals. what year is the copy right lower left side if it says 2005 like my old one I am wondering

I just felt like hitting target up and got a great deal again. will swap out my ole mpvr so, 3face wanna get even make those calls to target hurry.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 10:23 PM   #8

heh, I would, but I'd only be saving $5 in the end. Don't see a copyright ANYWHERE...hmmm.
3FaCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 11:11 AM   #9

On the pakg there is a logo and copyright and year?