Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 26, 2006, 8:12 AM   #1

Hi Guys

I really like the idea of getting a hybrid but how does the video compare to that produced bya high end compact digital camera?

Do any of you own any point and shoot cameras like the Fuji Finepix F10 or the Canon Ixus 750? (Powershot sd550 in the States)

If so, if anyone has done any comparisions or seen the output from both on a big TV screen it would be nice to know.

I'm tempted for this http://www.aria.co.uk/ProductInfoComm.asp?ID=20443as I thought it was a rebadged DDV-1000, although another post suggeststhis may be the cmos version not the ccd as advertised, was also tempted for the MPVR at $149 from http://www.walgreens.com/store/categ...ab=electronicsbut it looks like they don't deliver to the sunny UK.

In addition the aria one above reckons it does 11mp stills (by interpolation) how does the quality or the photo'scompare? I can guess that they will not be as good but has anyone actually done any comparisons?

xboxdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2006, 12:19 PM   #2

imho, most hybrids with mpeg4 video capture at 640 by 480 30 fps should be better than the low-mid range branded digital cameras.

the main advantage of the branded cameras are the ccd lens for better pictures in poor lighting conditions but then, the better hyrids with ccd lens such as the ddv-1000 should bridge that gap and still be cost effective.

you can get the ddv-1000 for about US$156 and use fedx orups to ship it to anywhere in the world.
igadgetsgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 1:57 PM   #3

Where can you get it for $156. I am a little skeptical.
mld03c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 9:58 PM   #4

hybrids are not dedicated to stills nor vids, they are all around, designed to be carried anywhere

stills on my 8mp mvpr looks average and is good for point and shoot, great colors though, stills on my 1.3mp u10 cybershot looks better even though both have no optical zoom

vidoes in my minidv is way better than mvpr, but mvpr is nearly comparable on good lighting conditions, but I use my minidiv like 2 times a month and mvpr 24/7 :lol:
reiluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 12:16 PM   #5

not disagreeing.

I can have my mpvr on me all the time and not worry its like a cellphone.

i rather own a brand digital camera, and know I have the security of an optical lens when I need to zoom. hybrids are great 20 foot diameter cameras anything outside that parameter may jsut be okay.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 11:29 PM   #6

I just bought the red colour DDV-1000R for US$159. It could be a special price for me since I know the local distributor. I also bought the latestmini sized DDV-C330 as well.Its much smaller than the M1/910/MPVR and uses 2 AA batteries! But in terms of video quality, the DDV-1000 stands head and shoulders above all the rest of the hybrids I have tried so far in terms of clarity and its works well in poorer lighting conditions.

3.74" X 2.8 X 1.34" small

[align=center]DDV-C330 Specification- Your Best DV Camcorder[/align]

[align=center]Image Sensor[/align]
3.2 Mega Pixel Sensor

[align=center]Operation Modes[/align]
Movie Record, Picture Record, Voice Record, MP3 Player, PC Camera, Mass Storage Device

[align=center]Lens[/align]
F3.0 (f = 8.54 mm)

[align=center]Focus Range[/align]
100cm~infinite (Normal Mode), 60cm ~ 100cm (Portrait Mode), Center: 20 cm (Macro Mode)

[align=center]Digital Zoom[/align]
8X

[align=center]LCD Monitor[/align]
2.4" TFT LCD

[align=center]Internal Memory[/align]
32MB Flash Memory

[align=center]External Memory[/align]
Support SD/MMC Card Slot (up to 2GB)

[align=center]Image Resolution[/align]
3720x2790 (10 Mega Pixels)¡F2048x1536 (3 Mega Pixels)¡F1024x768 (0.8 Mega Pixels)

[align=center]Movie Resolution[/align]
VGA 640x480 pixels 30 fps, QVGA 320X240 pixels 30 fps

[align=center]White Balance[/align]
Auto/Manual (Daylight, Fluorescent, Tungsten)

[align=center]Self-Timer[/align]
10 second delay

[align=center]Flash[/align]
Auto/Off

[align=center]PC Interface[/align]
Mini USB 2.0 Port

[align=center]TV Out[/align]
NTSC/PAL Selectable

[align=center]Battery[/align]
Two AA (Alkaline) Batteries

[align=center]Dimension[/align]
95mm*71mm*34mm

[align=center]Weight[/align]
135 ( without battery )

[align=center]System Requirement[/align]
Windows 98SE/2000/ME/XP,Pentium MMX, Celeron or AMD Athlon(r) CPU, 64MB RAM, CD ROM, 500MB free HDD space, Available USB port, 16-bit Color Display

Old Jan 28, 2006, 12:47 AM   #7

Igadget, where did you get your DDV-1000 for such a price!?!? Even if it is discounted for you, I'd like to know where to locate one here in the United States besides Ebay. Thanks.
RaeRae1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 1:52 AM   #8

If I've got the question right, digital still cameras take better-looking video than Hybrids because the dsc's don't compress the video. All Hybrids use MPEG4 compression (except some more expensive ones that gobble memory using less effective compression). MPEG4 costs some quality, with the reward being vastly smaller video files, which means you can take more video.

This is why dsc's are rated for such short storage times for video. This difference is changing because dsc's are starting to adopt MPEG4. So the video quality will be more similar. Differences will be due to factors such as optical zooms, standard on dsc's but rare on hybrids. Sensor and lens quality will also be factors.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 5:24 AM   #9

DigiLife's Mini- Camcorders Series DDV-C330

http://www.digilifeglobal.com/ddv-c330.htm
isikayhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 6:00 AM   #10

RaeRae1981 wrote:
Quote:
Igadget, where did you get your DDV-1000 for such a price!?!? Even if it is discounted for you, I'd like to know where to locate one here in the United States besides Ebay. Thanks.
hi raerae, i got it from a local distributor here in singapore. they sell tons of IT products and gadgets, including digital cameras, camcorders, flash memory cards etc. in fact, i am working with them to see ifi can sell such products on ebay etc. their business model is more geared towards higher volumes channel sales of hundreds or thousands of productsand i will try to help them with retail sales of 1 to a few units per order.

not sure where to find a dealer in the usa but maybe other members can help with that. even with ebay, guess you should always consider the total landed cost which includes the final shipping/freight charges. i have noticed some ebayers with low prices but with exorbitant shipping charges. i can try to check with the local post office or courier companies on what it would cost to ship this to the usa so you can have a better idea of the total landed cost.

cheers