Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jan 26, 2006, 2:32 PM   #1

well, I have done my homework, and decided to share some important info again. and this may be for any newbies looking to Purchase and if they have trouble with their USA models. best return policy i found, is target. 90 day return/ exchange policy.

Act on your instints only...............

How to tell if you have purchased an older or newer model or are going to Purchase one and make sure you recieve a newer model?

1. there Are No markings on the Box what so ever. copy right states 2005 but the Usp symbol tells all

Older version: 53886#02028-2 below is a sticker bkl50001366

newer version or box are the same symbol, but below it bkl50100513

may tell if it is newer but again that may be for pricing not the bkl number it will be super hard to decifer that number for accuracy.

2. in the Pics below where you see the pkg and the camera. You must look really hard below the mouse and the two menue buttons, there is a pic of an EARBUD or earphones. The older version Does not have it. but has the inner display markings

This is the best way to tell if you are going decide to purchase and need to find out the easier way,

3. If you cannot tell, and you decided to purchase you are home, and you need to tell which one you have, open up the screen on the inner or camera side there is a MPVR 2K6 marking that is the newer version . the older one does not have it.

Now what I found out, and need confirmation on is when you start your camera look at the screen, and exspecially the green dsc/dvr light

*when you turn it on the green dsc will be a constant green, then within 8 secs does it flickere? yes no ? and then solid again about 5 quick flashs. i will answer when you post your findings?

The Older version F/W is the same as the newer one. there is an update, and I do not recommend upgrading until Aiptek answers my reply , what it is for?. they did say it will fix the vid/ aud synch. but I found no fixes. I decided to go with the target exchange route , and I recieved a perfect working camera and updated version. sorry to say it is still a 6 meg Usa model. and Yes i will be swapping needed items and hope to have no troubles. any comments Please ask

old software v100 new software v100, are th drivers differ ,no

camera price 139.99 On sale from 159.99 at store marked 149.99 at register 139.99 a great price to have........................................

F/w 1501 hw00

Below are some importan pics to decide if you are getting a newer hybrid.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

if you need the F/w you may post your requests. 1709 f/w (unknownwhat the fixs are)

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2006, 4:00 PM   #2

There's another combination, as well.

My camera has the earphone engraving on the case, but does not have the MPVR 2K6 in the LCD well.

I got mine at Target in late November. Blister pack, no extras, but it was only $100, so I'm not complaining.

Grim

BTW: It reports FW 1501 and HW 00
Grimbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 4:10 PM   #3

thaat will be the second model pushed out. I believe all the mpvrs will say

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"f/w 1501 hw 00 the update was probably a written elf file , i need you to turn on the camera and let me know if the green light is solid on turn on and does not flicker 30 sec test no harm can be done. andi need to know if you have a vid aud synch?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Grimbor?
Old Jan 26, 2006, 10:01 PM   #4

8mp version differs on

1. It has making of "DV6800" beside the LCD instead of "MVPR 2k6".
2. It has an engraved logo of headphone in front
3. It came in a box with EURO logo
4. FW 1501 and HW 00
5. No sync issues
6. Startup movie is playing, green is solid, after the movie it the green flickers 2 times

Attached Images

reiluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 10:04 PM   #5

I have a question. Does the flip side of the LCD, the back of the screen, does it have a METAL plate? Mine does, and it also has the earbud engraving and the MPVR2k6 lettering. I don't THINK the other MPVR had a metal plate below the metal AIPTEK lettering. I remember it being all plastic (besides the lettering), but I could be wrong...lol wouldn't be the first time :G
3FaCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 10:37 PM   #6

LED action on startup seems to be inconsistent.

Always comes on solid green, but after 2-4 seconds will usually flash. Not always, though; sometimes it stays solid. Other times it blinks 1-4 times.

Not sure, but it may have to do with how long the camera has been turned off. i.e., first startup will have more flashes, but subsequent starts in quick succession will have fewer flashes or none. Maybe a cap. in the camera getting an initial charge?

Does seem to have the A/V synch problem, but pretty minor. Just enough to be annoying.

Grim

Grimbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2007, 5:28 PM   #7

Hey guys great forum and lots of info to digest.

This week I will get a hybrid and just when I had checked out the Archos Gmini 402 and was sold on it, I went to Comp USA and saw they have the
Mpvr 2k56 on sale for 49 bucks.
They also had one mustek DV 5500 for like 70 some dollars. and it came with a doc station but it did not impress me.

I did not realize the Mpvr's had so many models floating around so now I will go back and see if they are the new ones or the older ones.

As I said I went to Wolf Camera here in Charlotte and they had the Archos Gmini 402. (250.00) I had not even heard of it before and the sales guy was not even aware he had it until I pointed it out to him. It has a 20 gig HD and man that thing feels as high quality as any sony camera would feel in your hands, even a little heavy considering it is about the size of a slim camera.
It does not record video (such as from a VCR) like some of these models will but I can actually use this 20 gig HD to unload my main digital camera onto when I am on trips. And the reviews on shooting video and takinig pics have been fairly good.
It can even be used as a spare HD with USB in and out.

Earlier in the day I went to Radio Shack to see the sanyo C 40 I think it was, confortable to hold but feels a little cheap. (199.00)

Anyway, did not mean to wonder away from the MPVR theme but I did want to post this apparently big price drop for these models, I am sure they had ten in stock.
If I can determine that the ones on sale are not lemons.... I might buy both models I spoke about.
The kid working there said he had one and it worked pretty good (MPVR). for whatever that is worth.
dammyroc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 12:45 PM   #8

50.00 it is a stolen item for sure (meaning grab it) that is the all time low. do not expect wonders, it is a good hybrid, and

Welcome to the site dammyrock1,

thank you for bringing an old topic back to the top, and yestones of info

the MPVR 1707 is the BEST firmware on the market as I am opening a thread or postin in I am as we speak relaying vids and pics to Aiptek. Inc, maybe I'll get a remote control free LOL
Old Feb 28, 2007, 4:52 PM   #9

Today I went up to Comp USA and bought one (49.00) and it is charging right now.
I appears from the numbers to be an older version (according to the post above).
My one hurdle is I have only Mac computer so I don't know if that firmware will work or how the cam will even interact with my computer.
I have never done a firmware update on anything before so not really sure what to even do with it..... maybe open it and it will go where it needs to?

I am still thinking of getting that other unit Archos because it would be nice to compare and I think the store offers a ten day return policy, if it was not suitable I could return it only problem is..... I can buy it at Amazon for 50. less (plus tax) but for the cheaper price I loose this option to return.
With a 20g hard drive, USB in and out it could be useful in many ways I think.
dammyroc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 6:29 PM   #10

yhr MPVr is not for a MAC, te software that is you can do everything but software I believe box states this\ excellent buy