Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Feb 12, 2006, 9:40 AM   #1

members have asked some very important questions in the past; How is the hybrid in winter , for snowboarding or snow like conditions?

1 we must protect our precious items. The samsung, and olympus ,and canon , as well as others made some cameras water proof or more like water resistance. some can stay under water to 30 feet for 30 minutes. Does this hold true for the aiptek I own?

NOT AT ALL! I do take my hybrid out and try my best t obe careful., even with my remote control car. I dried it off and have plastic or rubber around the important components . so for me to film some excellent footage I would ned a third hand , sorry this will have to do. i was doing some nice cyclone (donuts) spinning.

well I have taken some shots in vid as well as stills but the sites i use decided to go under construction :? lets hope they are up and runningwhich i see right now. here is the vids, and some sample shots.

there is one shot I am going to keep around so when spring hits in april the bush will be on fire and hoping it will bloom with colour to really show offthe Aiptek.

http://media.putfile.com/CLIP0162
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2006, 2:52 PM   #2

I took my MPVR out in the snow and left it in my pocket. When I pulled it out it was covered in snow and wet all over. Wiped it all off, turned it on, just like new (well, the lens had fogged up, but 15 minutes later, back to normal!

So it is, at least PARTIALLY water resistant.

Here's a pic of the snow, and a gigantic, 3 foot snowball with a ...stick....coming out :G.(rolled it myself, probably not the smartest thing, back was sore for DAYS lol!)

3FaCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 11:15 PM   #3

A friend and I were videoing each other skiing on the weekend. It was clear blue skies, so it was so bright it was almost impossible to see the screen on my Digilife DDV-810/V1.

He was using a new, good-quality digital still camera - Samsung A55W. It takes MPEG4 640x480/30fps videos.

Anyway, the idea was that we'd film each other with our own cameras, then trade files afterwards. My videos turned out quite good, but all of ones he took of me, with his camera, came out so overexposed that they're useless. I've never had trouble with hybrids getting the exposure wrong for videos.

I wasn't impressed with his dsc's video mode.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 11:17 PM   #4

Regarding weatherproofness, I once got enough water in an Aipek DV4500 that the sensor stopped working. It was fine after it dried out.
Old Feb 13, 2006, 12:32 PM   #5

On a side note, my 4500 lost it's power button a few months ago, so i was using a clump of stiff cardboard paper to press the small switch inside. It just recently BROKE OFF, so now i have no way of turning on my 4500. I would care...if I didn't have my MPVR :G But yea, the 4500 is extremely durable. I've dropped it on concrete several times and it came out with a few scratches, but still worked great. Also dropped it in a few inches of snow, filmed in near blizzard conditions and spilled water on it. Still worked after all of that. I also recently dropped my MPVR about 3 feet onto a hardwood floor. No noticeable damage, everything works like it should. Hybrids seem to be extremely durable little machines.

Hows that storm treatin ya fishy? Who'd a thought after the warmest January EVERwe'd getsuch a coooooldFebruary! I guess we should all just blame Canada :-)
3FaCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2006, 2:31 PM   #6

Mod sg is Upper North America watch out.

The storm , watt storm it was a dusting. 36 inch would have been nice lol. its basically warm again and streets clean. thank you for the concerns.

I dropped my mostek 4500 15 feet om a grond , motehr earth. and also upt to 30mph and well nocked of the screen Lol maybe the 15 foot drop broke the door. but the Aiptek is my favorite of all time in hybrid but not video. yet.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2006, 9:51 PM   #7

Remind me not to lend any cameras to you guys.