Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Feb 15, 2006, 7:48 PM   #1

First, I'd like to say hello to everyone! This forum is a WEALTH of information on these cameras. I've owned 2 so far, both Aiptek. My latest is the Aiptek IS-DV, which I do like, but it's not comfortable to hold at all. That's why I decided to go get a different one. After scouring this forum I narrowed it down to 3:

The Aipek MPVR which sells for $139 at Target right now, the Creative 428, and the Digilife DDV-1000.

I decided on the Creative mostly because of the CCD sensor vs the CMOS sensor of the MPVR. I take a lot of still pictures and I hope that the CCD gives better image quality then the IS-DV that I had. Also, because I was able to get the Creative cam for nearly the same amount of $ as the MPVR sealed the deal.

The Creative 428 arrives tomorrow so I'll be sure to come back and post a detailed review of the cam versus the IS-DV which I'm sure is rather similar to the MPVR.

Take care!

Xphyle
xphyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2006, 11:50 PM   #2

:-)Hi. I love this site too! Where did you find your camera? I'm looking to get a camera, but I'm still weighing all my options down to "buying day".
RaeRae1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 12:00 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum, xphyle. We thrive on the praise!

Looking forward to your comments on the Creative, especially since you have other hybrids to compare it to.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 2:36 AM   #4

ahh the attention gathers. a great WELCOME

and . what a way to compair . the IS-D. is a great camera/ andwhat I like about it , and not/ the screen it kinda held bak on the rotation the big downside

a great pic though. we all are awaiting to know where you recieved it. may be on my list to urchase but I am awaiting an Optical one from ispan may be forever for my answer from them lol good luck and hope all works out visit my other thread to make a review professionally its free. sorry if I am sounding like a sales person but. a great find should not be passed
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 7:23 AM   #5

Got it off of ebay. Just got done tracking it on the UPS site. It's out for delivery so I'm just awaiting the UPS truck. I'll put it through the paces and post a detailed review tonight!

Xphyle
Old Feb 17, 2006, 10:48 AM   #6

Hi All.

Got the camera yesterday. Sorry I didn't have time to post an in depth review, but here are my first impressions after playing with it most of the day yesterday.

Build quality is fantastic. It's got nice weight to it and doesn't feel cheap or plasticy like my Aiptek IS-DV.

Contrary to what I've read on here before my purchase, this camera DOES HAVE image stabilization that you can toggle on or off.

Video quality at 640x480 is great. I need to do some more comparisons with my IS-DV, but so far, I'm very impressed. I spent some time videoing the dog and my 2 year old running around the house, and it was smooth as silk and image quality was very good.

The CCD sensor seems to be coping with changing light conditions (even doing very well in low light) much faster/smoother than the CMOS sensor in my IS-DV. Again, very pleased with that aspect of the camera.

Lots of positives, but one negative/disappointment so far. I was really hoping that the shutter speed on this thing would be better than the Aiptek IS-DV. If I was taking panoramic photos all day long, both cameras would be fine, but I spend a lot of time taking pictures of my kids and they are always running around. Unless they are standing still, I get motion blur which kind of sucks. I don't see an option to adjust the shutter speed, but there are tons of options for differning light levels, ie sunny, cloudy, etc. Do none of these cameras take good pictures without being totally still? Anyone have any recommedations?

Happy to entertain any questions. For the $150 I spend on ebay for it, I'm pleased so far, however I need to figure out something with the picture taking aspect.

Will post more later.

Xphyle
Old Feb 17, 2006, 12:37 PM   #7

xphyle: have you tried software for photos?

you can sharpen, but still have lil blur. no camera of a hybrid will stop motion, the mustek 9300 (oldhacer) may have sports mode? does the creative have a sports mode?

now, in order to fufill this thread you must answer 150 questions :G

great to hear one complaint out of som much positive comments
Old Feb 17, 2006, 12:52 PM   #8

Hey Fishy!

LOL! I haven't even loaded up the software yet! I'll have to give the sharpening bit a try. After spending some more time with the camera aspect, I've learned to shoot a little better. Works like a regular camera. You have to depress the shutter button half-way to get the autofocus to kick in, and then depress it the rest of the way to snap the picture. And of course, you have to hold the camera VERY STILL when taking them. Pictures are coming out much better now.

I'll goof around with this thing some more and put up some sample pictures and videos with it.

So far, highly recommended. ASK ME SOME QUESTIONS!

Xphyle
Old Feb 17, 2006, 1:47 PM   #9

ahh man a locking shutter that's kewl..........
Old Mar 2, 2006, 2:00 AM   #10

how to toggle to flash mode on? just got the camera -creative divi 428
elsilver is offline   Reply With Quote