Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Feb 24, 2006, 11:16 AM   #1

Im looking for a hybrid camcorder which can be use for my project and also for personal use.Im interested in buying Creative DiVi 428. For my project..i would need the camera to function as 24hrs monitoring CCTV which can be directly record to the hard drive (the internal n external memory would not be enough to record such a long footage).The only way for a normal camcorder to record direct tohard driveis byusing firewire which all the hybrid cam doesnt have.

1) Wouldthe USB 2.0 for the hybrid camcan act the same as firewire, record direct to the hard drive?

2) Iwouldalso needmotion sensor for the project,n didsome research and found out that it could be done by a software..not the camcorder itself. If it does,i guess this would not be a problem for me..

Your answer would be much appreciated. Thanks
elsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2006, 12:04 PM   #2

Hi,

When you say "record to harddrive", does this mean harddrive in the PC or the standalone PVR with harrdrive?

When it is the harddrive in the PC, you can just buy any webcam and connect to the USB. It is the cheapest alternative. You do not need a hybrid to do this. You must install a recorder with a good compression ( such as MPEG-4) in order to maximize the disk usage.

If you want to record on a stand alone harddisk on a PVR, just buy an ordinary analog CCTV camera ( you can even use any digital camera with a vioe out cable) , connect the Audio-Video cable to the PVR and then hit the revor button.

One good PVR is the new

Mustek PVR-H140 Multifunctional Personal Video Recorder

It has 40 GB harddisk which means that in MPEG-4 with 640x480 30 frames/ second - you can record for about26 hours continuous , longer for lower resolution

By the way, many hybrids like the AIPTEK 6800 and the clones can be used a USB webcam which means that you can use it for option 1

juandelacruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 12:46 PM   #3

Ya..i hv a webcam..but the resolution issnt good enough..and if i wanna buy an expensive webcam..its not worth it coz its only for a project..i din use much webcam for my personal use. And a CCTV also..cant be use as my personal use.Im planningto have a hybrid camsooner or later so its like a bonus for me if the hybrid cam can be use for my project also.. lol..what a high demand..but hope u guys can give be ur reply..thank u so much!

Just wanted to know if it is possibleit can be record direct to the PC hard drive.. or it just can be done by any spec software maybe..n the software will record the real-time recording from the cam?
Old Feb 24, 2006, 3:31 PM   #4

1. a pc must have software, if it is from the camera itself that comes with.

for example: the Mpvr has newsoft, video works, and has a caption feature, and that is al you need, but the mpvr is a 7-n-1 camer hybrid and if you hook up the av input to your pc yes it can be worked out.

2. if you want to use the hybrid and a set top box yes it can be done a dvd set top allows up to 608 hours record time, a vcr the same. a hard drive alone xxx.00 hours but, you must research yourself.

depending on the webcam by itself or the camera, there are a good number of them out there that might do the trick, but you want motion sensor , I believe one hybrid will do that and you must go past page one for that answer.

It may be the newest hybrid the digilife or ispan, or even creative I cannot keep up with todays time. Lol even though I am the Moderator, I am helpful as well,

What is this project that requires you to have 24/7 feed?

and keep in mind if the file gets currupted, all your work is wasted? as well as download time.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 5:09 PM   #5

Keep in mind that if you were to use a PMP (like the mustek, or an archos, or something with an av-in) along with any camera, you'd have to carry both around with probably both hands... which would be a bit awkward.

Then again, now that i think about it if you had one of those small hard drive recorders with AV-in, you could keep in in your pocket and run a line to your camera's AV-out.

But anyways... what i'm saying is that if you're moving around alot, then this isn't exactly the best portable setup. a bit of a hassel perhaps. Might as well just record what you can on the camera's SD (assuming its a hybrid) and then just keep moving it over to another space when its full.

aijuswannasing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 5:15 PM   #6

Sorry, i guessed i missed the whole 24/7 part.

Yeah, you can actually use nero i believe to accomplish this. If the camera is to remain stationary then any camera that can be used as a webcam should be able to supply the resolution your need.

This may eat up your resources pretty quick depending on your HD and the quality setting of the recording.

aijuswannasing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2006, 9:25 PM   #7

thank u guys forur reply..i guess all my questions r answered.

fishycomics-
The project is like an interactive installation kind of project. The project will use alot of programming..and the camis the core for the installation..so..a camwith ahuge feature will reduce the programming required

Thanks ya guys