Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 1, 2006, 3:26 PM   #11

Buffer in the camera there is internal meg and buffer size
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 4:34 PM   #12

ACTUALLY, now that I think about it, you're not recording 1.8MBPS, due to the MPEG4compression. If you were, you'd fill a 1 gig card in ...~10 minutes. The actual file size that's put onto the card is more like 300kb per second so yea, you should be fine. But for still pics...I dunno. If your still pics reach more than 1.5MB in size, your camera will have to wait an extra second or so to write the image to the card. Not a big deal at all and GREAT deal on thatcard btw!
3FaCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 4:57 PM   #13

3face,

300kbs/sec sounds correct (79 mins in high quality on a 1 Gb sd card) this mean that i will not have a problem with the card .

Then, what means when the information on the camera said: video 640*480 30fps, 1.8 mb/sec?
what means that 1.8mb/sec.?

My 2 Gb Kingston sd card arrive on friday( i hope so). If so, i will make some tests to check the quality of the ddv-920. if anybody like some samples, just tell me and i can upload them.

John
JOHN-G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2006, 7:05 PM   #14

As this heading off topic in a way

your answer to how long does a 2 gig card take to fill

1 well I own a 1 gig card I filled it up to full fo not ask how long it takes to fil it up or add . due to duplicated files etc it may take as long as 5 minutes to fill, or longer due to repeated file names.

2 how long does it take to download onto the pc? 5 minutes by the file loading window

by the stop watch 4 minute 54 secs

Deleting 1 gig

less then a second

the sd card is a Pny no Speed is written on the card it is a sale item at 70.00 usc and is made for a digital camera stated on the pkg.

you do not need to worry bout a faster card , but feel you need to be secure about the card able to write to a internal buffer and get it to the sd card you'll never know the difference

i will just say this some vid/aud synch issues are related to buffer writing.

hope this helps out. google for the info you need

there are no sales pitchs here.

today a sd card is dirt cheap 20.00 usc for 512mb and a 2 gig down to 70 plus i will be purchasing one after the 3x mpvr hits. speed or not

test completed.

now double that time for a 2 gig card and its ten Minutes

2048 is a 2 gig 10 minute 600 sec

1024mb is a gig 5 minutes 300 seconds

512mb is 2.5 minutes at 150 secs

256 is 1.25 at 145 sec

128 is 40 secs

64 is 20 secs

32 is 10 sec

16 is 5 secs

8 is 2.5

4 is 1.25

now would you say the camera films at 640 x800 @ 1.8 kkbs (kilbites per second
Old Mar 12, 2006, 12:22 PM   #15

Hey John,

So how did that 2GB sd card work out for you onthe 920? I'm going to purchase a 920 or equivalent and if it accepts taht 2gb card i'm completely sold on it. =)

let us know! =D

thanks.

JOHN-G. wrote:
Quote:
3face,

300kbs/sec sounds correct (79 mins in high quality on a 1 Gb sd card) this mean that i will not have a problem with the card .

Then, what means when the information on the camera said: video 640*480 30fps, 1.8 mb/sec?
what means that 1.8mb/sec.?

My 2 Gb Kingston sd card arrive on friday( i hope so). If so, i will make some tests to check the quality of the ddv-920. if anybody like some samples, just tell me and i can upload them.

John
aijuswannasing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 2:53 PM   #16

Hi aijuswannasing,

Let me tell you what happend, the last week i recived my regular 2 Gb Kingston Sd card, but before i bought the card i went to a store and they let me tried a 120x 2 Gb card and it seems that it worked fine, i couldnt be 100% sure because they only let me use it for about 2 mins. thats why i decieded to bought my 2 Gb sd card.

My card arrived the last wednesday and i started to make some tests with it. when you put the card on the ddv-920, the camera recognize it, and said that you could record 2hrs and 51 mins in maximum quality ( i was very happy 3 hrs in excellent quality:-)). But i realized that i can only record for about 8 mins before in freeze out. So i can make a lot of 8 mins clips but i cant record nothing bigger than 8 mins. So i assumed that the Sd card that i recived was damage:sad:. i send it back to the seller and this thursday 16th of march should arrive my new 2 Gb Kingston Sd card.

When my new sd card arrive i will make more tests and let you know what happend.
Im almost 100% sure that the ddv-920 accepts the 2 Gb cards (The specifications on the box of the ddv-920 said that it handles this kind of cards)

John
Old Mar 13, 2006, 1:30 AM   #17

aw bummer,

Yeah, let us know how that turns out. heh.

Then again, By next week my ispan should arrive and i guess i can run some tests too. lol

leys hope this work huh? =)
Old Mar 18, 2006, 8:02 PM   #18

Hi,

My new 2 Gb regular Kingston Sd card arrived last friday. And i started to made some tests, but the same thing happend. It only let me record for about 8 mins and then the camera freeze out.

I tried to make different things but nothing works.

i tried to formatted the Sd card through the CPU, but it still behaves the same.

I`d have some musical videos on my cpu and turn them into " xvid" format with the software that the camera includes, hoping that the camera recognize them, and it does. but i can only upload to the camera like about 90mb, more than that makes the camera freeze.

So this is the conclusion that im taking, my ddv920 or my 2 gb sd card, can only hold 90 mb. (i dont know why) but when you reach this amount its freezes out. that means that when im recording, it can only record 8 mins (aprox 90 mb.)

I also try to upload mp3 but it cant hold more than 90 mb.

In all the tests that id made, the result its always the same, it cant support more that 90 mb, no matter if they are in pictures or movie or mp3.

I dont know what else to do, i dont know if the camera its deffective or the Sd card or simply i need a high speed sd card.

Or maybe i need to upgrade the software.

If someone could help me. ill be very thankful

John

Old Mar 18, 2006, 9:28 PM   #19

dang,

what brand did you use?
Old Mar 19, 2006, 6:10 AM   #20

I believe he said Kingston. does anyone else use other brands that work beyond his troubles?

if he returned the one he got the same, now heshould have tried sandisk or data