Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 3, 2006, 12:26 PM   #1

I'm looking for a cheap video camera to mount on my car for when I'm racing. All-out video cameras are too expensive, and P&S cameras are in the right price range, but they are not typically geared towards taking videos.

Then I heard about hybrid cameras.

Is there any very cheap hybrid video camera out there that uses SD cards and has a tripod mount? I'm looking to spend less than $150.
Nizidramanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2006, 8:49 AM   #2

Nobody knows?
Nizidramanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 9:19 AM   #3
Administrator

We usually ask that members asking about what camera they should buy ask it in the What Camera Should I Buy Forum, where you posed the question.

But, for inexpensive Hybrid Cameras, you might have better luck getting useful responses in our Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams Forum

So, I'll move this thread there now for you.

You may also want to browse through some of the threads already in that forum comparing some of these cameras.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 12:26 PM   #4

If you want higher quality videos at 30/fps you might be interested in an Aiptek MPVR. You can buy it in-store at Target for $149 and buy a tripod for it. Another alternative is the Aiptek IS-DV also at Target ten dollars cheaper. If you aren't as concerned about highest quality of video Target online also has lots of cheaper Aiptek hybrids, but with less quality recording and I think all of them are tripod mountable.

A lot of other people here also approve of Mustek cameras which you can find online with a little searching. My last suggestion is possibly the DXG-305V (3 Megapixel) or DXG-506V (5 Megapixel) which you can find online or also at Target. Not sure of those two are tripod-mountable or not. Most all the cameras I mentioned can be found for $150 on down.

Hope this helps! :idea:
RaeRae1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 1:38 PM   #5

I guess I forgot to mention that the Aiptek MPVR & IS-DV have an image stabilization feature that would come in handy to maintain the integrity of your videos since you will be moving fast! You can see a sample video of this in the Aiptek MPVR Review on this board by fishycomics. There is a short clip of video shot from a moving car.
RaeRae1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 2:41 PM   #6

The Aiptek MPVR (USA) / 6800 (Asia, Europe) is a good choice for your use and price range. The Digilife DDV-V1 has the same specs, but is usually a little more expensive.

The Mustek DV9300 is about $135 on the web, but doesn't have quite the features of the MPVR.

The entry-level Ispan DDV-750looks likeMPVR, but uses diffrent firmware, has no A/V input, and is powered by 2 AA Alkaline batteries instead of one rechargeable Lithium-ion battery. It can be bought in Ebay auctions for $100-$120.
Old HACer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 3:18 PM   #7

car vid

http://www.youtube.com/?v=T99g9Q7Jj-4

Thank you Mr. Oldhacer for the reply as my cable service was interrrupted , they cut the cable for a splice while I was typing Lol...............

Niz.......... welcome to the hybrid section , and thank you JimC for redirecting the thread in here . hope a Pm was sent to Niz. he may not find his reply and think it was deleted unless he checked the mail option, again thank you.........

Niz...... being cheap is not the answer to hybrids, being efficient is. the word I am looking for is slipped of my fingers at the moment .

You mention car. and you want a tripod as an attachment, we'll talk about two types of models before i go into a price range, and hope this will help you decide.

two models are a camcorder look, we'll talk about this first

in the pic above there are many models out there, mustek2000-8200 series.

do not hold me to my word,

most i said most mustek screens are stationed in a 90 degree openings. Aiptek angles out 95 degrees and swivals about 15 degrees up and I believe it even folds open in view . you should concider a swival tft lcd screen. so

1 when you hit record you actually see the timer count while the screen is open

2. have red flash signal for record, the mustek has a light on the front that goes either red or blue depending on the model. aipte may or may not have that feature.

3 a stabilizer so when you hit some dips the camera can correct and crop when neccessary.

4. the camera will fit between the headrest and can be closed down on it to hold into place. The Aiptek is perfect for that b/c the record feature is on the back, the mustek is on the top, may interfere with the recording, but not.

5 30fps while you need 640x480 res for the best recording.

most hybrids have tripod sockets. again my recommendations are the mustek dv4500 going to be discontinued. the Aiptek Is-Dv is going to be discontinued due to the new Pmp is-dv2-6 to hit the market in may or june (see Amazon.com)

eligent desinged hybrids

[align=left][/align]

[align=left]Here is a picture of a different type of hybrid case. there are mustek digilife aiptek, and many many more, we'll talk about why this may or may not be a good pick. the camera will sit taller then the first one , and may not be placed in the head rest of the seat, but if you are andy you may modify your own peice of wood and make your own tripod or an attachemnt. the tft screen will fold down and into the case but when viewed will be sideways. that should be concidered for keye factors. the vid record buttons are al in the back and easy to thumb through. my recommendations would be the mustek, digilife ispan, aiptek. the aiptek wil be coming out with a 3x optical zoom in the end of may.[/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left]now we have looked at both types of cameras All I can say is target has a sale for 139.99 the aiptek mpvr 1. hour batt life lithium battery[/align]

[align=left]Aiptek Is-Dv 119.99[/align]

[align=left]the Mustek dv4500,3500 around 99.99 if found.[/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left]both types of cameras will act up in direct sun, the aiptek IS-DV and mpvr do not like direct sun they will show a beam of light like a laser from a flying saucer beaming the surface.[/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left]The mustek may glare and white out in th e direction of the sun[/align]

[align=left]all hybrids will react to direct sun[/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left]the aiptek will be dark the Is-Dv will stay dark and show darker vids if sunny, must be a overcast day for perfect shots from the inside of the car.[/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left]the mustek will be a better choice but will not have stabilization[/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left]as you can see one will have a advantage and disadvantage over hte others[/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left]I hope you willread some of the topics and look for the is-dv review read up on it its way past page one.[/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left]I have a 7 minute vid sped up but there should be enough vid in the upload center for you to decide . thank again for reviewng the site.[/align]

[align=left][/align]
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote