Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 21, 2006, 6:18 PM   #1

Hi all. I'm back and I FINALLY have my long-anticipated MPVR! I bought it on sale at Target and was a little bummed to find out I don't have the newest version. I have one with an earphone mark but no MPVR mark on the inside. The firmware is 1501. I've been playing around with it and have noticed a few characteristics that I was wondering if they are normal for the MPVR or if I possibly have a defective model. Thanks for patience with my sorta long list:

1) How long should the battery charge and than last with usage? Mine charges for threeto four hours and the battery runs low pretty fast with lots of turning on and off of camera throughout the day. Also the battery indicator sometimes flickers back and forth between how much battery is left sometimes.

2) In the middle of the screen on certain shots with lighter-colored backgrounds I see a darker circle in the middle. It's not just the LCD screen cuz the circle is there in photos as well. Is that light refracting into the reddish lens or something?

3) When shooting bright light sources like a TV, sunset, aquarium hood light - sometimes I'll see parallel lines shot across the screen. Normal?

4) The button that adjusts focus is sorta wiggly as well as the red LED lens cover. Not like they are about to fall off, but they sorta shake around if you touch them.

5) And this is really minor, but I thought during playback slideshow you were supposed to see the first frame of MPEG videos. Mine skips over videos and only shows photos.

Thanks so much for your help!
RaeRae1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2006, 6:24 PM   #2

I just got an MPVR with firmware of 1501. Does the newest model offer 1701 firmware? What are the benefits of the newest firmware? I'm trying to decide if I should leave it alone, update my firmware, or try to exchange the camera for the newest model.

Also, has anyone figured out a way to identify a newer model without opening the package besides trying to see an earphone (that's SOOO hard, I've tried)? The BKL numbers fishy mentioned a long time ago might indicate something. All the cameras have their own numbers, but maybe there is something about the first four BKL numbers on the box. Fishy's newest model had 5010 as the first numbers, my older one has 5004... Hmm...

Thanks for any help. What would you guys do?
Old Mar 21, 2006, 6:50 PM   #3

stick with 1501. 1701 has no known changes...supposed to fix the sync issue but doesn't. Aiptek needs to get on it and release a new firmware with sync issues fixed, fast forward/rewind .avi files (it works...but you can only do it once before it freezes...or maybe it's just my mpvr:O) and....well yea those are my only issues :-)

OH wait...and 8MP for all us US owners :G Pretty please? With sugar on top of whip cream and cherries?
3FaCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 6:58 PM   #4

3x optical soon to arrive no need to worry bout the mpvr anymore.

deleted as requested

fishycomics[/i]
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=92

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=92

dam I had all in here posted and goofed so just review the topics
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 7:03 PM   #5

RaeRae1981 wrote and 3FaCE Responded:
Quote:
Hi all. I'm back and I FINALLY have my long-anticipated MPVR! I bought it on sale at Target and was a little bummed to find out I don't have the newest version. I have one with an earphone mark but no MPVR mark on the inside. The firmware is 1501. I've been playing around with it and have noticed a few characteristics that I was wondering if they are normal for the MPVR or if I possibly have a defective model. Thanks for patience with my sorta long list:

1) How long should the battery charge and than last with usage? Mine charges for threeto four hours and the battery runs low pretty fast with lots of turning on and off of camera throughout the day. Also the battery indicator sometimes flickers back and forth between how much battery is left sometimes.
Quote:
3-4 hours and last....about 3 hours filming on and off and shooting pics with LCD open or ~1.5 hours straight filming.
Quote:
2) In the middle of the screen on certain shots with lighter-colored backgrounds I see a darker circle in the middle. It's not just the LCD screen cuz the circle is there in photos as well. Is that light refracting into the reddish lens or something?
Quote:
Dunno, you may be right though.
Quote:
3) When shooting bright light sources like a TV, sunset, aquarium hood light - sometimes I'll see parallel lines shot across the screen. Normal?
Quote:
Yup.
Quote:
4) The button that adjusts focus is sorta wiggly as well as the red LED lens cover. Not like they are about to fall off, but they sorta shake around if you touch them.
Quote:
Lens cover?! Didnt get one with mine...."darn" Aiptek hates me.:G But yea, the joystick wiggles when you touch it (hmmmmmmmmmmmm...)
Quote:
5) And this is really minor, but I thought during playback slideshow you were supposed to see the first frame of MPEG videos. Mine skips over videos and only shows photos.
Quote:
Weird. Mine doesn't. But if you can view your MPEG files on the MPVR it's not really an issue...not a returnable issue anyway:-)
Quote:

Quote:
No Problemo mi amigo...have fun with your MPVR, I know I did/AM:|
Quote:
3FaCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2006, 7:10 PM   #6

all these questions are answered in my extensive review, anyway

1 battery charge 1st time 3.5 hours max. 2nd charge upt to 3 hours max

2 battery life ful recording 1 1/2 hours-1 hr 45 min max

3 green light battery flicker or green red light arond the uppe back of the dv/dsc? the light will flicker green that is the flash being on, shut it off will save power a few percent more battery life added.

4. make sure there is no plastic film on the lens. no fingerprint . also film with a light behind you not in front of you, if all else fails it may be deffetive and the lens cap cover in the interiror is off.(guess)

5 sseing a beam of light mentioned on No.3 will be nomal light will find its way to the lens

6. the remote sensor (red cover) is defective not to be loose the machro / ` will have very lil play just a lil to feal it shake not loose.

7 slide shows should only show Clip (jpegs) not video. I believe the mustek will show both and a few secs of the vid only

that is a good observation of the slide show I need to invisestigate it. As well as the Piriner feature.

I would return the camera and try a new target.

RaeRae1981 wrote:
Quote:

Old Mar 21, 2006, 7:58 PM   #7

I guess I'll return my camera and hope for better luck and the newer version this time around. Tonight I downloaded all my photos from it and wanted to put some back on the camera by copying back into the 100Media Folder of the removable hardware device, but it wasn't working well and then it finally did take one photo but when I went to play back the thumbnail of it into full-screen mode it would not. I'm so confused and flustered! Any advice on how I can recognize the newerversion of the MPVR before opening it? Thanks.

Old Mar 22, 2006, 2:26 AM   #8

this is a repeated topic of the one you are posting Please try to keep to One for bandwidth not a problem, but confusion. mistakes are made and understood.........

Below I posted to your question, and i will combine these wo threads due to simularity.

1 below is a topic like I pointed out 1 the first one had no earphone stamp.

possably the 2nd model did and 3face may have mentioned this last year or at the beginning it had one but not a 2k6 inside, he thought it did? may be placing words in the Gentlmans mouth, So to clear that up I WILL NOY locate the thread way past page 4

All stores should be out of the old versions

now did you dlelete the files and rename you clips on the pc ? then tried to place back with a differrent name ?

1 Must be PIC0001. PIC0002 etc to retrieve back into and viewed in the camera if not 3face found an interesting way of doing so. all you realy need to d is return back to the files and reinsert only

the software that came with the camera may do that.

fishycomics[/i]
fishycomics[/i]
Old Mar 22, 2006, 9:30 PM   #9

Thanks. I finally did figure out how to put photos and video clips back onto the camera. So that's good.

Still planning on exchanging my camera though. I might have to settle for the middle version of it, cuz I'm finding it hard to find the newest one (based on the first BKL #'s, the newest should start with 5010 like yours). That's okay since I don't NEED a webcam, but it would be nice. I'm too eager to wait around for the Zoom DV.

I still think it's weird that my camera has the circular area in the middle of the shots that is either darker or brighter than the rest of the area. It's only noticeable on walls and floors and such since the background is all the same. :?