Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jun 1, 2006, 10:01 PM   #11

So with the various Aiptek/Mustek/Digilife hybrids about to arrive on the market with optical zooms, I thought it made sense to compare them to digital still cameras that use mpeg4.

This led me to the Samsung i6, (first pointed out here by brachiopod) which has pretty well the same set of features, but without the pivot screen, remote control, or av-in port that my favoured hybrids have these days. The i6 even plays mp3's, which is a feature I like and use regularly.

This called for a careful comparison, since I'm not hung up on the hybrid format. The upcoming hybrids are disturbingly large, and I've gotten rather tired of all the "loose ends" that second-tier manufacturers leave on the hybrids. All those many annoying characteristics, or missing features. Like not being able to delete mp3's on the DDV-920, or no zone control for setting brightness.

The last straw for me was the indication that the DDV-520 probably will cost quite a bit more than we're used to paying for our hybrids. I expect that will change, but not necessarily. Not to mention they aren't for sale yet.

The i6 brings to the table what appears to be a much wider range of controls, it's half the size, and hopefully everthing's done to a higher standard than the Aiptek/Mustek/Digilifes. It has basic on-camera video editing. The price was the last stumbling block - it was more than I prefer to pay, with eBay "Buy it Now" prices of $260usd and up, and $400cdn retail at stores in my town.

If an i6 made sense, then did a Miniket or Xacti? They had 10x optical zooms and pivoting screens, but the Miniket lacked proper stills resolution, the Xacti has no mp3, and both are another step up in price.

Then, three i6's came up for auction on eBay. From Canada. They included 1Gb sd cards. I didn't know how high the prices would go. So for 6 days I've watched the bids climb, and in the last hour it appeared they would not pass the $260 point of the "Buy it now" cameras that didn't include a memory card. Actually placing a bid was tense, because all three cameras timed out at exactly the same time, and it was impossible to tell which of the three would end up being cheapest.

So I bid a healthy price on one, expecting to be outbid, and left about 1.5 minutes to be ready to bid on another. I didn't want to end up with two of them, either. I watched as another bidder ratcheted up their offer, trying to exceed my maximum. But I could see that unless a fat bid came along at the last moment, they wouldn't reach my max bid in time.

And so I won an i6 plus 1Gb sd card for $232.50. It was also the most costly of the three, by $10 and $18. Oh well, good enough. That's about half I would pay at a store, when the memory card, exchange and tax are factored in. I don't include shipping in the comparison because it costs me time and/or travel expenses to get to a store.

I look forward to being able to report how a first-tier camera compares to a similarly priced hybrid from the second-tier makers.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 8:11 PM   #12

Let us know how the camera works out, especially the image quality. I have not seen much hard info about the i6, but I suspect that the image quality is going to surpass the typical hybrid by quite a margin.
brachiopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2006, 2:27 AM   #13

Yes, I'm anxious to know all sorts of things about it. The specs claim things such as that if you're listening to mp3's, and you shoot some video, you can go back to the mp3 you left off at, rather than have to scroll through the whole works. Same for playback, you can mark where you left off and come back to that point. It has a low light mode that eliminates the need to use the flash. And automatic redeye correction if you do use the flash.

These are the sorts of things the hybrids I've had, have fallen short on. Many things like this. I've bought 5 hybrids over the last two years, and they still have not corrected any issues like these. Indeed, from this point of view, my original Aiptek DV4500 was the best (but took crappy video).

Even my DDV-920, you can't delete mp3's on it, and you can't mix stills and clips on playback. No tone controls for mp3's. No anti-redeye flash. Then there's the cheap-feeling loose screen. And it has the highlight bleeding issue in video, which none of my previous hybrids did. AND, although it's the first hybrid I've been able to get a movie to playback on, it's a huge hassle to accomplish that.

So we'll see. At least I got the i6 cheap enough that if I don't like it, I can always sell it for what I paid. And try a popcan 520, I suppose.
Old Jun 3, 2006, 4:48 AM   #14

THE TRUTH IS SHINING THROUGH NOW ON THE DDV 920

Congrad on your model must be a samsung for all others

to understand that it was left out or overlooked.

is and s series

So which model did you choose 5.6. or 8 meg?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0601/06010301samsungi6.asp

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2006, 9:41 PM   #15

That review mixed up the i6 with a couple of other cameras. The i6 is available only with a 6Mp sensor. CCD, too. 6Mp is more than I need for stills. I believe I'm getting a silver one, rather than the black one in the picture. I'm a bit nervous about the large screen being exposed to damage, unlike the hybrid setup where the screen is well protected.

The 920 is still the best hybrid I've had yet, but I just don't understand why they don't bother to fix some of those nagging oversights.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 9:21 PM   #16

In case anyone's wondering how the i6 is....

The eBay transaction fell apart. The seller's explanations about what was going on started sounding fishy. As you may recall, the person sold three of these cameras at exactly the same time. I contacted the two people who won the auctions for the other two cameras, and both were in the process of trying to get refunds.

I informed the seller of why it would be a very good idea to resolve the transactions asap, and very soon I had a refund plus a little extra for my hassle. The story is that the seller's supplier could not supply the cameras. I have no idea if that is true.

Anyway, this was bad news because $232 for an i6 plus a 1Gb sd card had been a very good deal. So I started looking again. I missed out on a couple of auctions, then the supply of non-BuyItNow i6's dried up. I turned to on-line retailers, found three with very good pricing, and have placed an order. At the moment, H1Photo.com has them for $235, but I was unable to contact them to place an order, so mine's coming from Abe's of Maine. Unfortunately due to my own shipping/recieving issues, I don't expect to see it until late next month.

Of the 6 digital cameras I've ordered over the Internet in the last 2 years or so, four have been from eBay. Of those, the two from queenofglitter went with no problems. Of the other two eBay purchases, one was a near miss with being ripped off, and the other didn't work out. Not a good record. Thus far, the purchases from non-eBay on-line retailers have been fine.

eBay is sort of like investing - the best deals also come with the most risk.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 3:04 AM   #17

I am going outside today for a speical reason, and will ask this person to allow me to do a favor If I produce some info I c/p and printed on here . So I hope when you get this item it works out just fine (lol)

SG if and when you order check out b and h photos bhphotos.com I think thery're a higher classstore then Abes. chaeck later on for a picture I may bik4 there for excersize
Old Jun 27, 2006, 11:50 AM   #18

MOd SG, Sorry to say I went over to the store I posted a note to look out for your order. I made my phone call, and I wil be going over to shoot some smaple vids in the camera for you? (lol)

I have Purchased one time there a camera accessory kit, I cannot recommend their roducts, but I recommend you going to the bhphoto.com homepage instead.

Abes of Maine are a religious place fo the Jewish community as well as B and h photo, if you know your price and work a deal both parties will be happy.

wish them shabbat shalom (good sabbath)( something like that.)

and throw in 18 cents for good luck Lachiem

Old Jul 4, 2006, 10:18 AM   #19

any follow up on your neew product?
Old Jul 4, 2006, 10:29 AM   #20

Hi,

People interested in alternatives might be interested in Samsungs new offering. It does 720x480 MPEG4 video and has an MP3 player with full controls. See this link...

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0607/06...samsungnv3.asp

-Bryan

brachiopod is offline   Reply With Quote