Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jul 4, 2006, 11:52 AM   #21

again awaiting Sg's purchase results?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 12:19 AM   #22

fishycomics, thanks for the info about Abes. I don't expect to see my i6 until around the 20th.

brachiopod, and thank you for the very interesting Samsung camera info. Along with the Miniket line, it really looks like Samsung believes in multi-function cameras.

Actually, I wasn't anxious to know about something even better than the i6 before I even get it. The NV series look like upgrades of the i5/i6.

I'm not so sure about the marketing aim for these cameras, including the i6. "Young" people who would be attracted by the multi-media features generally aren't going to spend $400 on a camera. And older people with the money, aren't going to take seriously a camera with MP3 and pmp features, especially when those features come at the cost of specs/features they could get on a digital still camera without the pmp etc.

I'd say to keep an eye out for these cameras on sale!

I didn't see anything in the specs for an optical zoom on the NV3.

sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2006, 1:01 AM   #23

Finnaly, the Samsung i6 has arrived. First impression: throw away the hybrids!

Ok, settle down. I haven't had a chance yet to take a good look at it. But just fiddling around, from pressing the power button to being ready to take a picture takes less than 2 seconds. Amazing after the agonizing waits for my previous cameras to get themselves ready. Most of them required that just the power button be held down for 2 seconds or more.

One negative so far is that it's not quite as good in dim light as the 920. Almost, but not quite. The images have a green/yellow bias compared to the 920's pink/blue.

Very small, half the size of the DDV-920. Aluminum body has a quality feel far better than the Digilifes.

Popped in a memory card from my DDV-920. Plays back mixed stills and videos with no objection. Plays the 920's video clips with no problem whatsoever. Plays the mp3's set up for the 920 with no problem, no renaming folders, nothing.

And the mp3 player. Displays the length of the song, and both an elapsed time and a bar graph readout as the song progresses. Displays the name of the group and the track. Shut it off, turn it on again, and it can resume at the song you were at. Delete the song, no problem. The volume on the earphones is more than you need, and it sounds better than the 920. Even the tiny speaker sounds good.

Everything about this camera says: "this is how it should be done". Anyway, I suspect I'll have more to say about it in the days ahead. I think I may have this one longer than 6 months. What I don't get is that on balance of features it's as nice a camera as the Minikets, but costs significantly less. I wonder why they didn't put these features into a Miniket case? Odd.

Old Jul 21, 2006, 2:58 AM   #24

Congrads sg

next step is to get a sample Picup for us yet to see one> (lol)

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0601/06010301samsungi6.asp

Old Jul 24, 2006, 9:30 AM   #25

As someone who is also looking at the regular digital cameras that can record to MPEG4, this camera sounds very interesting but I particularly would like to see an untouched sample of the video. The Samsung MPEG4 hybrids haven't exactly been getting stellar reviews as regards video quality so I would like to see how this compares.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 12:08 PM   #26

will we se this Mod SG?
Old Jul 25, 2006, 12:19 AM   #27

Sorry for the delay in posting a review. Compared to the hybrids, the i6 is a pretty complex camera, and rather than post a review that requires weeks of corrections and updates, I'd like to get it relatively right the first time. For instance, initial tests showed it was distinctly inferior to the 920 in some aspects. This requires going back to the manual for research, and trying the tests again.

In the meantime, if you can't contain your curiosity, the i6's manual is on the Samsung website. The sheer number of things the i6 can do that the 920 can't, is almost staggering. But don't write off the 920. I expect to post the review in the next day or two.

Old Jul 25, 2006, 2:49 AM   #28

Here's one from my Panasonic TZ-1. I absolutely love this camera. It has 10x optical zoom and optical image stabilization.
The clip is 848x480 30FPS. I'm zoomed in at around 5-6x optical with optical image stabilization on.

http://phonyholmes.com/video/P1010363.MOV

Make sure to right-click the link and 'Save Link As...'

ok think this is working now. These forums are weird..

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
As someone who is also looking at the regular digital cameras that can record to MPEG4, this camera sounds very interesting but I particularly would like to see an untouched sample of the video. The Samsung MPEG4 hybrids haven't exactly been getting stellar reviews as regards video quality so I would like to see how this compares.
Rodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 3:02 AM   #29

Rodfarther The Vid limk thank you you missed it? lol

weasked Modsg that just overlooked the vidd sample
Old Jul 25, 2006, 3:19 AM   #30

BTW, I still use my Aiptek MPVR DV6800. I'm a bit reluctant to bring my Panasonic TZ-1 to the beach so I use my Aiptek when I go fishing. It's still great using it outdoors.

Here's a video I just made tonight.
http://phonyholmes.com/?p=59

Rodfather is offline   Reply With Quote