Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 25, 2006, 9:58 AM   #1

I was interested in buying a hybrid with the MPVR being on sale, but I had to stop myself. The pice range for the high end hybirids is getting into the price range for the low end cameras. I see that people are paying $180 or more for the Digilife 1000/Ispan 920, plus shipping. For that price you can get a "real" camera that is far superior to the hybrids.

For example (just an example, there are others) for less than $200 (I saw it for $179 shipped) you can get the Sony DSC-S600. This has...
* A REAL 3X optical zoom, including a nice 31mm wide angle
* A REAL Zeiss! lens that focuses.
* 640x480 MPEG unlimited MPEG movie mode
* 6 million real pixels, none of this interpolation stuff
* REAL CCD not CMOS.
* Weight only 181 grams with card and batteries.
* A real flash with real power, up to 33 foot range.
* 2" LCD
* REAL adjustable high ISO modes up to 1000.
* REAL adjustable apertures
* Longer exposures.
* Adjustable saturation, contrast, sharpness.
* far far better picutre quality.
* Adjustable metering and focus zones.
* video out.
* real warranty.
* Go right down to the store and buy one.
* Blah blah.

If you are willing to go up to $250 there are many many more choices, including real mini-dv camcorders with optical zoom.

What you don't get is an MP3 player and a PVR. These things are too big to be real MP3 players if you ask me, I'd rather use a smaller one; I'm not goign to carry this around for that. As for the PVR, are you really going to use it since the camera can only hold a couple movies?

Just a throught. Bryan

brachiopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2006, 11:29 AM   #2

You are right and not saying you are wrong.

the hybrid does wonders just hope wi fi is available to them then the kodack that is out the would be put to shame lol

Aiptek is releasing their first 3x optical zoom lens and then will you think twice

Ispan is releasing their first 3x optical zoom soon as well

But yes I am in a need of a professional digital camera and I will be looking into one thanx for the heads up.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 2:43 PM   #3

Another camera to look at instead of a "hybrid" is the Samsung Digimax i6.

It is a 6MP CCD camera (not interpolated).
Has a really good MPEG4 movie mode plus all sorts of cool editing stuff.
Has a giant 640x480 screen!
Has MP3.
Has audo recording.
Is a Pesonal media player, you can put movies, photos, mp3 on it and play back; it comes with converter software to do this.
Really small and cool.
Has anti-shake.
3x optical zoom.

Takes OK pictures, not the very best digital out there but still a lot better than any of the fixed focus hybrids. Even the limited control that you get is still better than the hybrids. Has a very good macro mode.

List price $299; you can get it cheaper. If it sold for under $200 it would be a great deal.
-Bryan

Old Mar 26, 2006, 3:01 PM   #4

This might be a good time to review the "Hybrid Cameras 101" post.

I doubt many under-$200 digital still cameras have video-in, mp3, remote controls, and image stabilization for video.

The friend who introduced me to hybrids arrived at the same pro-dsc analysis, and bought an Optio S50, and has been quite happy with his choice. Recently, he took some videos with it, in snowy scenery. No matter what he did, the clips were overexposed. So the camera is either defective, or is not set up to adjust the exposure properly in videos.

His other objection to the newer hybrids has been the NP60 batteries. Not so good for extended travel. Now he's interested in getting a Digilife DDV-750, since it uses 2-AA's.

The current hybrids take stills that are good enough for me. I'm not looking for professional results. I like not carrying a separate gizmo for MP3, even if the mp3 players in hybrids are of limited function. I like the ease of use, and the flexibility of the screen and control arrangements. Video-in lets me use a remote lens head.

So all in all, I think it's a fair comparison, and a dsc or dv camcorder will be the right choice for most people. But for the time being, the hybrids are still my favourite.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2006, 3:20 PM   #5

again i shall say how I got started?

I started out with a Mustek 3000, had to upgrade a.s.a.p. due to 6 hours of recording time. 1 sr of aa's and man my sd card could only hold 32 meg paid 300.00 for the camera 100.00 for the sd card

I got looks and compliments with the camera still today I get them

I upgraded not once but twice 3500 and the flash 4500

I even went and Purchased a Aiptek 5300 super small and I love it

owning it I upgraded to an IS-DV , and even a MPVR

I even again Purchased hanshing 305v and a 202v

today I was going back for another dxg 305v

what I really like about mine are it fts in my Tee shirt pocket, and does the trick. all my work I do is on film. and I hope others are getting into the knack.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 11:01 AM   #6

Another small camera to consider is the Kodak V530. Very thin and small, good battery life, great pictures, good reviews, good low light, optical zoom. nice screen, does MPEG4 quicktime format video at 640x480 30-fps with image stabilization. All the reviews say that the video is exceptionally good, plus unlike many the camera it can focus while taking video. Sells for under $200 now; get one at Wal-mat for example. No, you don't get an MP3 player.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 1:36 PM   #7

Do you have one to give a display on the vid I am in need of one but with a true view finder.
Old Mar 31, 2006, 2:43 PM   #8

brachiopod wrote:
Quote:
... No, you don't get an MP3 player.
But you can get it in PINK .:-)

Old HACer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2006, 4:35 PM   #9

I wouldn't Mind if was free pink would be sprayed over what the heck
Old Apr 7, 2006, 10:31 AM   #10

Why do we buy stuffs?

Here in Switzerland there are people who buy bicycles for $8000 ! At first I cant believe it but its true, these bikes are carbon alloy super light, etc, etc. They have their reasons and they have the money

Why did I buy my DV6800 ? I also have my reasons. I already own analog Hi8 and a miniDV that can record in total darkness and 26X optical zoom. and I also have a Dimage Z3, but why did I buy the DV6800?

Here are some reasons :

1. It is very light a and small, the video and picture is not comparable to the real Video cams and still cam but a lot better than the best mobile phone with camera. I can put it in my pocket, turn it on ans use it anytime when I want.

2. I use this as video monitor for PAL and NTSC video sources, there are no VideoCams that I know that can operate both system.

3. The battery is the same as in my Mobile phone, I can exchange chargers and battery.

4. The cable and Memory card is compatible with my Minolta Dimage Z3.

5. Transferring video to DVD or CD for storing is a lot easier compared to tape. You do not need extra hardware or extra computer power. Digitizing tapes require video capture devices, if you want MPEG4 or DivX you must have hardware encoder or you must have at least 2.0GHz pentium for rea time encoding.

6.I can use this to digitize videos from my video tapes.

juandelacruz is offline   Reply With Quote