Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 27, 2006, 1:00 AM   #1

hello guys.Ive been searching around the forum and got lots of help from alot of dv products.Well basically my problem is that i want to get a nice dv camra,by this i really just want some pretty good video quality but im not sure what camra would make my boat float.
my choises between dv cams are
-Aiptek MPVR
-Mustek DV12m
-DXG-506
its a really hard choise,if u can please help,ive seen the quality from the aiptek mpvr but im not sure if i should get it or wait till the newer aiptek products arrive,but im not really sure how long they will come out,because i need this camra pretty soon.
KiLL-$wiTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2006, 11:43 AM   #2

Hi. Welcome to the board. All three camera choices you're looking at are good, it just depends on what's most important to you. The Aiptek MPVR is the only one that has the capability to record shows off the TV, VCR/DVD player, or computer for playback later. The MPVR also has the biggest LCD screen at 2.4".

If recording media onto the camera isn't very important to you, the Mustek 12M might be a good choice. Many people around here are happy with the Mustek brand and the 12M has a 5 megapixel censor (as compared to only 3 Megapixels on the MPVR). It has many different photo modes and I believe it comes with a rechargeable lithium-ion battery like the MPVR so you don't have to mess with lots of batteries all the time.

The DXG-506V is also a good choice if you want a 5 megapixel sensor. It has quality video recording at 640x480 at 30/fps just like the other three. But this camera takes AA batteries I think and has the smallest LCD screen of the bunch.

You can find the MPVR at Target for around $130. The DXG-506V can be found at ecost.com for around $108. The Mustek 12M is about $180 at amazon.com.

Hope this helps, good luck!:|
RaeRae1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2006, 11:49 AM   #3

Sorry, I forgot! If you live in the United States the Aiptek Zoom DV and the Aiptek IS-DV 2 aren't released until May 30, 2006 (if even then since they like to push back those dates sometimes). The Zoom DV will have 3x optical zoom while the MPVR only has 4x digital. It depends on how fast you need the camera and if optical zoom is important enough for you to wait for. It's a toughie, I know. I've caved in though and went with the MPVR. The digital zoom is pretty good until you start getting really close to the 4x point. I couldn't wait until summer.
RaeRae1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2006, 1:21 PM   #4

creative labs is the 506v it is a good choice and the Mustek 12 m next those two would be best? have different features now the crave about Mpvr may or may not fit your needs but a price drop helps out big time

raerae has excellent points, and if Purchased locally in a target (whyI push Target) ( 90 day return policy) you may get it use it return it . and then opted for a better or lesser one sorry I had to say it that way.

I love my Musteks love the pixals on it and has a better synch Mpvr seems to be the lesser and has a synch issue 50/50 of the time. now Aiptek stated

" Mustek blows us away" true hard to admit they said that. Creative labs is dxg and hanshing models one you are looking at is totally sold out in the targets its the lesser the 305v aaa system or aa system easier to get spares to use a member went away and had not the charger was in need of one and found a shop to charge it.

that is one major issue of rechargable batts over Li-on's hope this and raerae info worked out.

Never rush into it take your time if you do Ebay it.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2006, 5:51 PM   #5

alright well thanks alot guys this really helped
but basically with a higher Cmos sensor i would get better video quality?:?
Old Mar 27, 2006, 9:36 PM   #6

KiLL-$wiTcH wrote:
Quote:
Unfortunately not. The higher megapixel ratings on these hybrids benefit the still pictures only. As you can tell from the specs, video is done with several resolutions, typically the best on these cameras being 640x480 (pixels). Which means they are only using either a small portion of the sensor, or mapping out a relative few pixels across the sensor. So a higher megapixel rating doesn't give you more video resolution. This is why most of the Minikets, which do great video, only use an 800x600 sensor. They only yield low resolution stills.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2006, 9:42 PM   #7

sgspirit wrote:
Quote:
KiLL-$wiTcH wrote:
Quote:
Unfortunately not. The higher megapixel ratings on these hybrids benefit the still pictures only. As you can tell from the specs, video is done with several resolutions, typically the best on these cameras being 640x480 (pixels). Which means they are only using either a small portion of the sensor, or mapping out a relative few pixels across the sensor. So a higher megapixel rating doesn't give you more video resolution. This is why most of the Minikets, which do great video, only use an 800x600 sensor. They only yield low resolution stills.
alright Cool!,thanks for telling me,i guess i will try out the Mustek dv12m,and if i dont like it i guess i will go with the MPVR,is there any1 that has clips of the quality that the Mustek dv12m has? because ive searched the forum and google and cant really find any clips,if can be provided i very so much would appreciate it 8)
Old Mar 28, 2006, 2:18 AM   #8

steves digital camera forum of the hybrid may be well known but the mustek 12m owner migh not know of us yet. It is a new camera for tthe USA northern region.

most member do not own higher levels of intranet service most are still on dial up so it is difficult to get those clips.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote