Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 12, 2006, 11:40 AM   #11

There actually is a way to find out what model you might be getting. It's not scientifically proven yet , but there is a method to the madness I've discovered in my long journey to a perfect MPVR. Upon some independent research I realized that the BKL codes above the UPC code on the package DOES mean something. Fishy used to have the oldest models with 1201 firmware, and his BKL started with 5000; then he had a newer model with 1501 and 2K6 marking inside case and the BKL started with 5010. Well all of my previous three models were the middle models with 1501 firmware and no 2K6 markings and their first BKL #'s were 5004, 5004, and 5005. I finally went out and got this newest MPVR we know of to date... 2K6 markings, webcam, and 1707 (the newest firmware available) already installed on the camera. This camera had BKL 5015.

So my advice to you is to look for a camera with a BKL number of 5015 or higher. It appears the BKL identifies the individual product for tech. purposes (it's even written on inside of camera under battery compartment); and the first four numbers may be identifying what "batch" they were in. Over time the batch numbers keep going up and indicating the newest models.

Yes, I had issues with the middle models, obviously. But so far this newest one works like a charm. Good luck!
RaeRae1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 3:05 PM   #12

Raerae thank you you are going to make me go to an Eye Doctor, the Numbers are so small. i have to believe you they are of the same which it is.

But Sg is a canadian base Person, if target is located by him, or other Outfit. he may try to obtain one but rather, research more. the tug of war is on.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 7:50 PM   #13

Thanks for the info, RaeRae1981 and fishycomics,

It seems Target has no Canadian stores. I thought they did. They won't ship across the border. There are ways to deal with that, but at the moment they aren't listing any MPVR's anyway. Aiptek wants $200usd for new MPVR's. Too much.

An eBay seller has one, with the BKL number of 5012. So far I haven't gotten the FW number for it. Given what you know about the variations, what FW is this one likely to have, and if it is upgradable to 1707, would it be left with any shortcomings? What is likely to be an issue with it as is? I'm kind of in a hurry to sort this out because someone has agreed to buy my DDV-810, and I'm going to be away when the auction times out.

I haven't followed the MPVR firmware update matter closely. If I need to do that, how do I get the 1707 firmware?

sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2006, 10:37 PM   #14

MPVR is also sold at Walgreens and Circuit City if Canada has either of those. Now, this "theory" of the BKL number indicating a newer camera is just a theory; but a relatively proven one that I have faith in (so please don't kill me if you use the theory and don't get a newer camera... pleeeease!). If the theory stands correct the BKL of 5012 should at least be a newer model with 2K6 marking inside - but I couldn't tell you if it is 1501 or 1707 firmware. There's a good chance it could go either way.

You can upgrade your firmware to 1707, though. There is a long thread about it up above on this first page of the forum. Fishy could send the file to you or Aiptek tech support could also. The newer firmware possibly works out someof the weird glitches I experienced with the "middle" models.

Old Apr 12, 2006, 11:10 PM   #15

Ok, great, that's what I need to know. So far the seller has not responded to my request for the FW number, but it looks safe enough to buy their camera anyway.

I don't think Walgrens is here, but Cicruit City is, in the form of what used to be the Canadian Radio Shack, now called The Source. They definitely don't carry the MPVR, and I doubt they could compete with this seller's price.

Thanks

... I just checked eBay, and the camera went for the Buyitnow price. There will be more...
Old Apr 13, 2006, 12:01 AM   #16

Sorry you missed that one. Yeah, there will always be more. If you need to ask aseller about firmware on an opened package one, here's the instructions on how they can find out: 1) Push mode button until the mode is settled over the "playback" section; but do NOT enter into playback, 2) Now push both the Menu button and the Play button in the middle of the LCD screen at the same time and hold for a few seconds - up should pop up a message that says FW: 1501 (or if you're lucky, 1707).

Again, good luck.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 12:16 AM   #17

Hm, another MPVR going cheap tonight. But the seller doesn't use PayPal, and they can't tell me the BKL number. Since they don't have a battery for it, they also can't tell me the FW number. I think I'll pass on this one since there are too many imperfect ones in circulation.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 12:26 AM   #18

Pass on the MPVR altogether or pass on the current one you're looking at? They should be able to tell you the BKL number - it's right on the back of the box where the UPC bar is. And, yeah, if I were you I'd hold out until you get at least a BKL5010 that you can upgrade firmware in - and at very best a 5015 like mine.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 12:37 AM   #19

A last second snipe by a shadylady, and it went for $51. A price that low would be worth some bother to sort out the camera. I was tempted, but didn't bid.

No, I'll keep trying to find an MPVR. I NEED the always-on function. I was also put off because the seller couldn't provide me with the BKL number. I think it's also on the camera even if they don't have the packaging?

Anyway, I'll be offline for a few days, and hopefully there will be some attractive ones for sale next week.
Old Apr 14, 2006, 12:49 AM   #20

Yes, the BKL is also written on the inside of the camera underneath the battery compartment in really little print. :?I've never actually tried the forced on function before; I just know it's a feature. I think fishy has.