Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 8, 2006, 12:59 PM   #1

Okay, so I went for it and I exchanged my third camera with questionable problems and I have now landed myself the newest MPVR I know of. Not only does it have the MPVR 2K6 lettering on the inside case, but I checked my firmware, and i have the 1707 firmware already right in my camera!!!!!!!!!! So, woohoo, I'm already pretty pleased!

I'm waiting for my battery to fully charge before experimenting around with it (Like a good girl...). Hopefully this one will have no problems and function great. It almost appears to me (though I can't be sure) that my camera just looks different than the last ones, as well as some of the accessories and their packaging. I'm also happy that the LCD screen protector is nice and clear as day as compared to the filmy-like old ones that came on the other cameras... didn't know photos looked as nice as they did under all that. :-)

RaeRae1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2006, 1:03 PM   #2

RaeRAe mine is stil on, nevertake it of its extra protection, and can always spend 10.00 for that protection.

You are happy so far iam happy. I have been foolingaround today with my printing and let me tell you MPvr isa winner by far.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2006, 8:48 PM   #3

Okay, so now I've had time to test all my camera's functions. I do like how the 1707 firmware takes photos (click photo button, screen blanks and then pops up the taken shot). The sound is much better on my home-made videos. MP3's play pretty decently. And I can actually play slideshow on my TV and it WORKS! It's amazing. I even tried out the webcam mode.

My only scare was for a moment when I was trying to record off the TV and on my camera it was showing the movie in black & white when the movie was supposed to be color. So I turned off the camera and re-adjustedall the plugsand turned it back on and gave it another shot... COLOR. I was relieved (as you can bet). Temporary glitch of electronics I hope.

So, very happy so far. Thanks all of you for your advice and support, you really did help me. :G
Old Apr 10, 2006, 11:01 PM   #4

In selling my DDV-720, I have a potential buyer for my DDV-810. Correct me if I'm wrong, but since the 920 is not capable of being set so it doesn't time out and shut off when inactive, even if it's recording, I also need to have a hybrid that will stay on. So I'm thinking of selling the 810 and getting the latest MPVR. But this only makes sense if the MPVR is significantly better than my 810.

A few questions all you MPVR owners could answer:

- does the MPVR indeed have a setting to force it to remain turned on?
- is the mp3 stereo using the earphones?
- can you shut off all the screen icons during playback?

I guess it uses a battery different from the NP-60's all my other hybrids have used. That's not wonderful.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 11:15 PM   #5

I'm not all that tech-savvy but I can try to answer your questions. Hopefully fishy will have more concrete answers for you since he also owns the MPVR.

The MPVR has an auto-off setting that you can set to 1, 3, or 5 minutes OR you can turn it off. So, yes, it seems you can "force" the MPVR to stay on even during inactivity.

The Mp3 mode is supposed to play stereo sound. It plays it through the headphones, but you can listen to the sound through the speaker, too, though I don't know if the speaker is stereo-quality or not...

During playback of movies there are no icons on the screen unless you fast forward, reverse, or pause. On photos the only icon shown is what number photo it is out of the whole.

Hope this helps.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 12:19 AM   #6

Thanks, that does help. So you can force it to stay turned on. That's important because I want to feed my "helmet cam" into it and video my daily bicycle commute. It's time to start turning over to the police all those stupid motorists who endanger my safety almost every day. It's like a lot of other things that are being videoed these days - most people don't believe what's going on until they see video of it.

The speaker would be mono. Any song with good stereo separation should sound quite good or lousy depending on whether the earphone output is mono or stereo.

It's good you can shut off the screen icons, because on the Digilife DDV-810 equivalent of the MPVR, you can't. So on playback, you always have the annoying icons.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 2:48 AM   #7

welcome My son to the darkside.

MOd Sgspirit are you getting Persueded to come over to my World?

1 I downloaded a tune off the net, and it was awesome left / right sounds do not know if its stereo or not, but mono/mono would only mean sound out of both speakers same time , stereo at different times. it sure heck sounds that way different but will not say like the false 920.

2 the icons are just that and will not record on the camera in any way, and can be turned off by the settings, aswellas the start up, the 920 can have a picture displayed on turn on , darn it the Mpvr cannot. so when you plug in to a tv you can have it on or off, I recommend it on so I can seetwo areas of intrest the recor time going and the back red dsc flashing, the 920 has the record flash a time if not mistaken and the annoying frontt red lite the mpvr does not use all that juice the front led is always off.

3 the External speaker is just speaker can distort but good enough

4 the camera can time out unless you bypass in th setting , and raise and lower the screen contrast to 3 steps high , 3 steps low 920 does not

now best of all no troubles converting at al lol. hope you're not tricking us

I would sel your camera or cameras and decide if its right for you, amybe wait just a lil longer for the 3x optical if they're not Puling our legs, that would stop me dead in my tracks my last hybrid.

and the battery replacement is from Nokia a np series for the 8200 cell phones. as high as 1800mah. lasts upt to 2 hours max. on all hybrids
Old Apr 11, 2006, 12:08 PM   #8

Well, the description of the MPVR describes it as having stereo-quality sound via the earphones. I do believe it is stereo because I have this one song that is supposed to play the music across one side to the other, and that's what I hear, one ear, and then the other - pretty nice.

And you don't have to force the icons off during playback, they just are off automatically. But there is a setting that you can turn icons off during filming if you wanted, also.

Old Apr 11, 2006, 11:25 PM   #9

fishycomics,

Very funny. But I have to say that my first hybrid was an Aiptek DV4500, and I still have lots of good things to say about it. It had features no hybrid I've had since has had.

I'm not highly brand-loyal, it's just that Digilife has been offering the best value in these cameras for a while.

It sounds like the MPVR lacks many of the annoying aspects of the very similar DDV-810. But there have been a number of quality control issues on the MPVR, which makes me very reluctant to buy a used one, and somewhat cautious about even a new one. I really don't want the hassle of returning one.

Perhaps you could confirm that I'd want to get a "2K6" model. Is it possible to confirm before buying if the camera has the 1707 firmware?

I gather the batteries would not be compatible with my NP-60's, but I can live with that. It's great that you can force it to stay turned on, the mp3 is stereo, and you aren't forced to look at the screen icons.

If anyone comes across a good deal on them, let me know. I'd still have to confirm selling my 810 before ordering an MPVR.

How come so many used MPVR's have been sold on eBay? So far as I can see, this is quite unusual, and suggests people aren't happy with them. Or these are bad ones.

Thanks for the help, everyone.
Old Apr 12, 2006, 2:54 AM   #10

post a lin I have only seen new ones up for gras.

Sg

no way t otell what firmware any camera has when in a pkg locked behind a key and sealed.

Aiptek may be your only bet to Order the Corp.\ this goes for any hybrid you buy.

The batt is not a np-60 the np-60 is 1/32 " or .25 cm bigger. cannot force it in have the batt and posted a pic b4 long ago.

taking chances is a gable for thesecameras as I with the 920.

You always hear me swear by my Mustek and I rather snap with it over my Aiptek on long runs

Longe batt life on aa system

as i am goingto try to order a extra cover and test a aa set up on the mpvr later need some batt holders .