Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 19, 2006, 1:19 AM   #1

After two years of struggling to get movies made from clips taken by the hybrid cameras I've had, and processed into those movies using the bundled software, and always running into some problems, I've finally been able to replay movies with no problems.

Using the Ulead Video Studio 8 included with the DDV-920, I dragged some clips onto the storyboard line, then:

- Create Video File
- select Xvid
- Choose the default, which is Microsoft AVI files, already with the parameters used by the camera
- Save to the Movie folder on the camera, using CLIPxxxx.avi as a name. (Replace xxxx with numbers)

It plays, with the sound seemingly in synch, with no corrupt pixel boxes on the screen.

I haven't figured out how to include stills in the storyboard, but I've just started, and presumably it can process output from other dv editing programs that do include stills.

This is a big breakthrough for me, because finally I can make movies out of the clips and stills, and copy them back to the camera for replay to copy onto VCR tape.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2006, 4:01 AM   #2

doesUlead videoworks8 se shut off your pc if its a 2 minute clip?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 2:45 PM   #3

lmao... with ulead i tried the batch convert like the online manual said... i can't believe i didn't think of droppin it into the storyboard. hahaha.... i'll try that later when i get home....

if this works i can finally watch family guy on the way to school....

lol
aijuswannasing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2006, 2:51 PM   #4

for some we are already watching with the Arc converter , for the digilife its harder lol
Old Apr 25, 2006, 1:40 AM   #5

Frustrating adventures in digital movieland continue. As the first post in this topic indicates, I thought I had this sorted out. Unfortunately, I was wrong.

Using Ulead Video Studio 8SE that came with my 920, I was able to produce a 25-minute movie comprising video clips, stills, titles and background music. VS8SE easily rendered it into a form playable with only minimal quality problems, on the 920.

Comparing Ulead VideoStudio 8SE to Cyberlink PowerDirector, PowerDirector is better than VS8SE in these ways:

- far, far easier to manage clips, stills and audio volume on the timeline.
- Easier to determine presentation duration of stills.
- dissolves and peels look much better
- no "jerk" in video after transitions

On the other hand, titles are much easier to do on VS8SE.

When I played back the movie, it looked great, until about 5 minutes into the movie, it halted, the camera made a buzzing noise for a few seconds, then powered off. Every time I replayed it, it halted at exactly the same frame.

So far I have not been able to determine if the fault is on the memory card. The movie is almost 1Gb, and so it won't fit on my 512Mb cards.

I tried deleting the frame where it froze, and rendered the movie again. This time it froze and buzzed and shut off at another place. I believe other people have run into this problem.

I tried rendering the movie in PowerDirector, which came with my DDV-810. And from which I never got movies that would play completely properly on the 810. (All these movies play fine on the computer.)

All I got when I tried to play the movie on the 920 was a blank screen. So I tried numerous rendering options working with a single clip, thinking that if I got a single clip to work, I could get a movie to work, and vastly cut down the renderning time. I simply could not get any output from PowerDirector to work on the 920. I also tried VirtualDub, but no output from it would work on the 920 either.

So the next step is to create a movie that will fit on a 512Mb card, and try that in the 920. If that works, it means the 1Gb card is to blame. I've already formatted it in the computer and in the camera. If the movie on the 512Mb card doesn't work, I'm going to have to admit that I can't get a movie made in video editing software to playback in these cameras. Which means that to get such a movie onto VCR tape, I have to render them to a DVD disc, and get a DVD player to output to the VCR.

Unlike someone mentioned elsewhere, I could not find a video conversion program on the cd that came with my 920.

Another dodge I need to try is to create a folder called 300MEDIA. It seems these cameras may be more tolerant of varying video coding if they are in such a folder instead of in 200MOVIE.

I think it's really frickin' stupid that the companies that make these cameras have had two years to show us how to accomplish this capability of their cameras. And don't bother asking the mainstream video editing community about this - they don't work with this sort of stuff.

Old Apr 27, 2006, 3:18 AM   #6

I GOT IT!! VIDS FROM PC TO ISPAN 920!!!

They're not coming out at full 640 by 480 res yet, i got a max of 352 by 240 but hey - its a step in the right direction!! The videos play great and sound great.

i used Sunplus PMP Transcoder from http://www.chizon.com/downloads.htm

EXTREMELY easy to use and straightfwd program.

The output video was and mpeg-4 divx ecoded movie with extenstion ASF. renamed to CLIP000X.ASF and it played GREAT on the camera!! yeah its not 680 by 480 - but its such a small screen who really cares.

For those of you with more experience with other asf conversions, please try them out with the 920 and let us know how high quality you can shove in there.

What codec produces ASF files? I'd like to try using other third party programs. but hey, for now i'm happy with sunplus. Dang easy and it works!! WOHOO!!!
Old Apr 27, 2006, 3:45 AM   #7

Hey again,

ONE thing - i noticed with converted videos, you van't fast fwd or rewind.

I'm guessing this is because there is no keyframe rendering option available with the sunplus program (guess it's too simple.)

If anyone can pinpoint the correct playable codec this should help us out.

The only info i could pull from the file was that was DIVX4 encoded and came out as an ASF.

Old Apr 28, 2006, 1:11 AM   #8

Good work, aijuswannasing,

I made some progress also. I created an 8.5 minute movie out of clips taken with my DDV-720, and rendered them in Ulead Video Studio 8SE. I then copied it to one of my reliable and proven 512Mb SD cards, and played it in the 920. No problems.

The movie I had trouble with, made with clips and stills taken with the 920, and loaded on my new Lexar 1Gb SD card, failed every time, and within 8 minutes.

So the next steps are to determine if the cause is:
- the 920's clips/stills
- the SD card
- the complexity or length of the movie.

Ulead Video Studio 8SE seems to be an innocent party at this point, capable of producing movies that play with no problem at all on the 920. And the resolution is fine. If anything, the 720 clips look better than they did before being rendered.

I'll insert the 920 clips where the 920's movie failed, into the successful movie of 720 clips. I'll try copying the successful movie onto the 1Gb SD card. And I'll try adding stills, titles and music to the successful movie and see what happens.
Old Sep 18, 2006, 2:10 AM   #9

Damn its been awhile.... lol

I stopped tinkering around with the movies since that last post.. lol but my camera's still going strong even after some bad experiences (plugged in 20 volts by accident. lol)

Anyways, Sg, have you figured out anything else about getting these movies to play properly? For that matter... has ANYONE figured it out yet?

Old Sep 18, 2006, 3:47 AM   #10

if we're talking about the aiptek MPVr pvr it is a breeze no thinking invo,ved with Arc converter

ar converter puts it in any of my hybrids

now if we're talking about the Ispan 920 it is almost in its grave it was a talk of the town but died real fast?