Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 22, 2006, 10:11 PM   #1

I'm not very tech savvy and know little about how computer viruses work. But I want to know if you can transfer a virus to your computer from your digital camera or while operating it using webcam mode. Can a camera get a virus into it?

I know this may sound dumb. Thanks. :?
RaeRae1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2006, 2:02 AM   #2

No question about viruses is not worth asking. Even the virus experts were not born knowing what they know.

I work with anti-virus software and threat analysis. So far as I know, the only way a hybrid could be involved in transferring a virus is if you have a data or image file in the camera's memory, that has a virus from elsewhere, already in it.

It's possible for the camera's firmware to contain a virus, or malware, or a trojan, which could be set up to infect the computer, but the chances of this happening are thus far, vanishingly remote and currently unheardof.

But you should have anti-virus software acitve on your computer that is updated every time you connect to the Internet.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2006, 7:18 AM   #3

The topic is O.Y. ( off topic) and should have this in the thread. it still pertains to a hybrid though.

if you are going to use the hybrid as a massstorage Unit?

1 if you uploaded the aiptek firmware you should check before you load it up by right clicking on the link and choose anti virus.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2006, 11:53 PM   #4

Sorry, next time I'll try to remember to post that it's off-topic. Thanks though for your replies.
RaeRae1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 12:47 AM   #5

It would certainly be fully on-topic if the cameras actually were getting viruses. And it is possible for the firmware to include them. Technically, you can't get them by taking pictures or videos, of course.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2006, 7:03 AM   #6

RaeRae. Just remembe an thing you Purchase , with software, of any sort will have some effect in todays lifestyle.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"What Is on topic or of topic,can be talking about something totally different. we are not here to scold or Punish. we are too nice for that.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"What I do not like about anti virus programs they charge a lot of money and expire too fast. if you pay for good stuff let it be updated for free at least 6 years not a few months
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote