Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Apr 25, 2006, 5:12 PM   #1

Hi everyone!
Since a few days a go i'm torturing myself browsing and comparing hybrids , and i finnaly decided to ask for advice:
i want a hybrid with an emphasis on the mp3 player: good display (e.g. id3 tags, song name, which strangly seems to be missing on many cameras, etc), decent playing time with a charge, and decent still/movie capabilities. So, i don't really want something really good with stills/video.
Any suggestions?
bakunin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2006, 5:50 PM   #2

Bakunin99 welcome aboard.

Let me see if I got your question right

you want a hybrid , that has the best of mp3 functions. with a decent battery charge . and decent vid and stills as well.

and you do not want decent stills or video as well too?

that I believe I'll let our members answer your question:G

Battery life on all Newer pmp hybridcameras with nokia or np series battery are at a rate 0f 2 hours

Shutting off display functions gets 10 % more batt life, and letting run then on/off all day.

Older models aa systems will get over 3 hours bat life

Now what you may really want from the answer you mentioned is a Mp3 player only that gets 15 plus hours but you do not have the vid or stills

Take a look at the Important threads there are lists and brief descriptions for your answer

welcome aboard .......................Mod FISHY

bakunin99 wrote:
Quote:
Hi everyone!
Since a few days a go i'm torturing myself browsing and comparing hybrids , and i finnaly decided to ask for advice:
i want a hybrid with an emphasis on the mp3 player: good display (e.g. id3 tags, song name, which strangly seems to be missing on many cameras, etc), decent playing time with a charge, and decent still/movie capabilities. So, i don't really want something really good with stills/video.
Any suggestions?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 6:55 PM   #3

I own an Aiptek MPVR. It has a pretty decent Mp3 player that shows song names. I don't really know what ID3 tags are, so I can't comment on that. I will note that on some songs that are much quieter, you can hear a very faint buzz in the background(electronic noise, I'm assuming). You can pause songs, but not fast forward or rewind. But you can close the LCD screen with mp3's playing to save more battery power. The earbuds that come with it are pretty good. The speaker plays music well, too, but if the song is very powerful and the volume is too loud it can distort the music; easily fixed by adjusting volume.

The battery life is pretty good on this model. And it takes great movies and stills in my opinion for a 3 megapixel CMOS sensor.

In my research I've seen devices that are primarily mp3 players that can also have a photo & movie function. I couldn't list them off to you, but I know you can find them with a little online researching. Good luck. If I get time to look around, I'll post a link for you.
RaeRae1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2006, 7:16 PM   #4

Here'sa link to anMP3 player with camera features:

http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__Olymp...arch=mp3+photo

Here's a link to the MPVR:

http://www.aiptek.com/

Samsung also has an MP3 player with video and photo capabilites that is called the YP-D1.

Again, I only own the MPVR, so I don't know about the quality of what else is out there.

RaeRae1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 12:45 AM   #5

The hybrid I've had with the best MP3 player was the Aiptek DV4500. It had bass and depth tone controls, fastforward and reverse, delete, name display, duration display. The DV5900 is the same thing with a better sensor. These are far behind the curve on video/stills performance, but are unmatched in the hybrid world for their MP3 player. The 4500 did have a quiet background whine in MP3 mode that may not have been fixed by now.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2006, 2:14 AM   #6

Samsung's YP-D1 doesn't seem available yet, it looked nice.
However, i was thinking too about the MPVR. What playing time can i expect with the lcd closed?
I'm not unrealistic and expecting 15h of playing , but i'm looking for something with around 4 - 5h.
Old Apr 26, 2006, 3:34 AM   #7

all hybrids 2 hours a repeated post
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2006, 12:38 PM   #8

I've done more research and i think i'll settle in the end with the Panasonic SV-AV25, which claims to have > 4h for music playback and a decent 2 mp camera. While i'm a bit scared about all the talk about the ugly DRM thing, it doesn't seem that bad to me. I'll keep you informed after i make the purchase for a quick review.