Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 1, 2006, 7:48 PM   #1

I've had big problems trying to use converted video files on my MPVR. I used the included media converter software to convert two .mov (quicktime) files for my camera at 29 fps (even though I don't think the original recording had that many fps if that makes a difference, here). I converted one for .asf format and one for .avi. The .asf one worked but could not fastforward movie and when I pressed menu button to back out, the screen went black and froze! Even worse, the .avi file wouldn't play at all (was a black screen) and then I saw a crazy orange pixelated screen and the camera powered off and would not turn back on. This happened twice until I deleted the file. I had to take out battery and sd card and reinsert for the camera to even power on. Until I deleted both files the camera was acting bizarre. Now, I do hope that I have no future problems or have harmed my camera in some way (I tried playing and fiddling around with other video files already on camera and they seemed to act normally).

So, how am I supposed to convertfiles correctly for the MPVR? Maybe I did something wrong? Do some files just not want to play because of the software encoding from the different camera they were recorded from originally? The .mov files I converted were transferred to me via MSN Messenger if that means anything. I don't want my camera going crazy again, that was scary!

Thanks for your help.
RaeRae1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2006, 2:51 AM   #2

Raeraeit states the camera is a mpeg4 asf,mp3 wav jpeg

it will only play those.

if you are converting you may convert to asf only no other format once you start formatting to avi, or other then asf the camera will crash just like you described

you may convert to other formats for other cameras like the 920 t oavi and it will play nut not asf and it works for that camera as wel:G
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2006, 1:13 PM   #3

Okay, I'm not bothering trying with .avi or any othertype of file anymore. But I tried again today to convert some .mov (quicktime) files sent to me via msn messenger from a kodak camera. I converted them using arcsoft and using the setting for optimal for my device (25 fps, .asf). I put them onto my camera and at first they played okay, until I pushed the menu button to back out into menu and then the screen froze up again. Then I tried playing the next file and the crazy orange screen came up again and camera froze and I had to turn it off by taking out battery and reinserting.

Needless to say, I erased all the files and camera works normally again. What could I be doing wrong? I thought the conversion software was compatible for the camera? I can't get them to fast forward or rewind, and if I hit menu during playback the camera freezes and some files just won't play at all and freeze the camera.

Is there some setting I'm doing wrong for conversion? Does the fps of the original movie matter when choosing fps for conversion?
Old May 2, 2006, 2:57 PM   #4

Aligh you made me retry it again,

I have a video w/o sound so I am going to try one scenerio and te settings are as follows:

320x240 video ( cannot change)

vid bit rate 3mb ( can change)

fps 29.97 ( can change)

mpeg asf format ( can change)

sound 96k ( can change)

the video 320 is not highlighted? do not know why all are on use custome setting

if I click to optimize it all changes to:

320x240 cannot highlight

vid bit rate 1 mb

fps 25

mpeg4 asf

sound 125k

file is saved at 6.4 mb of the 1.84mb orginal, now i load up and try?

all works fine so try the settings I described. I do not have sound due to the video not having it I cannot ffw or rew because it is not a MPVr film hope this clears up your troubles

1st try and I pass my test thank you , if you like me to via email the quicktime clip i have I will do so, it is of Alaska and possablr the one you have is currupted? anythings possable:|

Old May 2, 2006, 5:17 PM   #5

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=92

well what do you know? I havealso added some sound a title , and even saved it and got it working, but will not get it to ffw or rewind no big deal, and that is using the videoworks 6 program software with Arc.

here was my how to section, to show you how to do some software .

1. have you made sure you are adding the file to the ful folder dcim/ 100media/ clip001 pic001 ifnotyou'll get

A. blank or no file added

so you my be just doing something wrong and very simply missing the obvious. hope this helped out.
Old May 2, 2006, 5:52 PM   #6

Thanks for your help. It's still not working right. I named the clips correctly (ex. CLIP0252), I convert them to .asf with the settings you described. I drop them into 100Media folder of the removable disk. I even had the clips emailed to me instead of transferred over msn messenger. The videos seem to play fine; the problem occurs when you want to press the menu button during the video playing to go back onto thumbnail menu. When you press the menu button during playback of these clips my screen freezes or the camera shuts down. It may not do this until playing the file and menu button a few times.

So, I guess my problem isn't getting the videos to play, it's getting them to not freeze my camera when I hit menu to stop playing them. Perhaps I just have incompatible files for some reason? I'm baffled. If you have time, could you please try hitting the menu button while playing a converted clip a few times. Does it mess up like mine?
Old May 2, 2006, 7:04 PM   #7

sorry t osay this I do not have any issues like you described..

hitting menu after play stops the video, brings me to the thumbnails, and must be careful not to hit one more time brings me to the delete key.

I have it perfect the way you would like it , and it must be something you are doing? no crash nodda

1 In my conversions

I did straight asf. to asf.

quicktime to asf

quicktime to wmv to asf

quicktime to avi to asf al are perfect. no crashs? it got to be a missing codec.
Old May 2, 2006, 10:47 PM   #8

Thanks for trying to help me. I'm not familiar with the term codec. What does missing codecs mean?

I experimented around tonight using different files to convert and try on my camera. I usedan.avi file and and a windows media file and converted them both to .asf and tried them on my camera. Still the same problem. Movie will play fine, and will hit menu and back out correctly the first time. Play movie second time, hit menu and it freezes the camera with both files. So apparently, it's not a matter of just a few corrupt files. I'm doing something wrong or my camera software isn't functioning or my conversion software isn't functioning correctly? My camera functions perfectly in all other areas though, no glitches that I can see and I have the newest firmware, so I'm really hoping it's not my camera.
Old May 3, 2006, 2:51 AM   #9

codec is a codes that allow to play files in players so ifyou reload win media9 or 0 itwill updates codes. to all correct files to play. that's all I know.

now have you tried hittingthe play button to pause it and then menue or even try hitting mode instead , does it hapen if you hit mode?

Old May 3, 2006, 12:03 PM   #10

Aha! I tried what you said. I loaded three of my converted files back onto the camera. I played them over and over again hitting pause and then menu, or hitting mode during playback. The camera does not freeze and works fine using these methods. But the moment I try only hitting menu button first, again the camera freezes up.

Thanks, you are genius. At least this is a way I can still use converted files without always freezing my camera up.

Now I just wonder why my camera won't playthe converted filesnormally. I can hit menu with any of my mpvr-recorded videos and it backs out fine every time.Any ideas? :?