Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 12, 2006, 3:04 PM   #21

More tests conclusions:

Night mode:

very efficient in still mode; surprising effect in video; thevideoframes shooting duration seems to be extremely long; as a result, any objet in movement is blurred; could be interesting in some situations. tripod recommended.

ASF to AVI conversion:

the software given in the package is a customized version of Arcsoft converter; this one has some nasty limitations: the avi codec used for encoding is Xvid (hardcoded in the program); the sound encoding can only be mp3 at a maximum bitrate of 56kbits/sec (too low regarding the very good recorded sound). We switched to ConvertMovie, with moreflexible features.

50Hz versus 60Hz setting (?):

we have noticed a very surprising behaviour of the 8900 depending on the 50/60Hz setting. In Europe we have a 50Hz power supply; the recommended setting is 50.

when a video is made in 50Hz, fast movements make it rather unregular; with the 60Hz setting everything is quite stable; the improvement is very noticeable. I have verified the frame rate, equal to 29.411 in both settings.

Maybethere is some confusion and some bugsbecause the product was developped and tested in Taiwan (60 Hz supply); i will ask the technical support if thisstrange behaviouris already reported (??).. any test or comments welcome..

(Hi Fishy, i could not enter the firmware page with the sequence for the 8800..)

Getting late again.. Good night all,

Arnaud
ajousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2006, 10:22 AM   #22

hi ajousse,

nice to find this review here as I'm thinking about purchasing this cam, too. sounds great, so far. however, a (raw) sample clip would be really awesome!
autobahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2006, 3:02 PM   #23

the yahoo account is still active and in working order?

your question is will the dv6800 (mpvr ) work for the 8800?

that my member you must find out from Aiptek, the 8800 is not a 6800, and if you try to load up the 6800 you may or may not have a working camera?

I tried emailing the aipte of england , and tawain I recieved no reply. if you can get the hold of it yourself we'll add it to the account. if you need the account PM me
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2006, 7:19 AM   #24

the 8800. does the video have 3 settings?

as I located site in german overseas they show the 8800, 6800 with 3 other letterings. and all th 2 cameras shown with the 3 different lettering have something different

for example thefront of the camera does not have the metal strap look.

the Orginal Aiptek has 2 settings in vid mode, if they are offering 3 settings they better offer it here in the USA as well (lol)
Old May 17, 2006, 2:45 AM   #25

Hi Fishy,

the DV8900 has different settings that may affect the video:

The output format (NTSC or PAL) and the supply frequency (50 or 60Hz).

I don't know what is the frequency setting used for; it could have been in relation with the frame rate difference between PAL and NTSC 25fps vs 30 fps, but in both cases the frame rate remains at 29.411 fps.

The difference we noticed is that the video with 50Hz setting is sometimes jerky, while the same shot recorded in 60Hz mode is stable. Very strange isn'it?:O

do you have the 50/60Hz setting on the models sold in the US?:?

Cheers,

Arnaud

Old May 17, 2006, 1:51 PM   #26

Ajous.....

it is called Flicker 50/60 htz

I just recorded one 10 sec clip I recieve 209.3,4,5,6, goes up in fps and its over 2.6 bitz

flicker may only be for playback for reso or lines on the tube do not hold me to it.

I forget at times :G

now I just watched a vid I accedently recorded i mahro b4 :Gimmiediate 29.5,6,7,8 right up to 29.9 so there is a difference like you said
Old May 23, 2006, 8:21 AM   #27

Hi all,

i have added 2 video;shooted in 640X480 at 29.411 fps in ASF.

Unfortunately they are compressed by Youtube to 425x350; the originals were much better.

sailing in Antibes with noisy kids: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQl1O9aXWQs

short view in the Alps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Va45yL8rCk

Arnaud
Old May 23, 2006, 12:55 PM   #28

Aj....... the Vids are Priceless this is the reason why we have fun with the MPVr.

I bet if you can mount the camera justright. you'll have loads of fun video. looked awesome:|
Old Aug 13, 2006, 9:00 AM   #29

hello

Really beautiful these images made by this DV-8900!

I would like to know : would somebody have photo and especially the video ones made by the DV-8900 in original taille/quality not compressed by youtube or putfile (direct link)?

Thank you well
fabio13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 3:52 AM   #30

hi everyone

i'm about to buy a digital camera, and i think that the appropriate one would be an aiptek pocket dv 8900.. i'm glad that i found this message board, because finally i was able to check some sample photos and videos made with it, so thanks for that

do you really recommend this cam?
what should i know about it?

because at the end of this month i would like to buy one and an sd card for it.. by the way.. about the sd cards.. i'm not really into them, so my question might seem a bit odd .. but i know that they exist with different speed and so on.. does it matter? .. and in what ways? .. if i buy a simple 1 or 2 gb sd card, would it be ok? .. how long can be a video (with the max. resolution) if i use a 1 gb sd card? ..

and can someone upload a sample video without compression, please?
just to see the exact quality..

thanks for everything,
auranala

auranala is offline   Reply With Quote