Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old May 29, 2006, 11:49 PM   #1

I finally found a solution to the video/audio sync issue with my MPVR. Thanks to"dumwaldo" at VideoHelp.com (http://www.videohelp.com/faq#divxvcd), I was able to figure out how to use TMPGEnc to fix the sync issue although, so far, I have only figured out howtosavethe finished video as an .mpgat 320x240 (even if the source was 640x480). It looks good though, and it's really nice to finally have the "lips sync". I'll post additional insight as I learn to use the TMPGEnc program.

Here is an extract from the VideoHelp site, annotated with the setting that I used:

"Load your clip into TMPGEnc and click the 'Setting' button. In the 'MPEG setting' dialog that opens select the 'Advanced' tab and check off the box next to 'Source range' and then double click the words 'Source range'. in the 'Source range' dialog that opens there is a field to enter an 'Audio gap correct' value in milliseconds; use a positive value to move the audio forward (MPVRr : I used +175 ms) and a negative to move it backwards (ok that might be backwards, I havent fixed audio in a while). Ihighly recommend making a 1 or 2 minute long clip of your video to play with adjusting the audio gap setting till you are pleased with the sync then load up the whole thing and let it run. It should also be noted that this will only shift the position of the audio. if the audio is stretched or shrunken this will not fix it, that is considerably more difficult to fix and requires far more time and patience that any video on earth is worth. "

/ dumwaldo

Here is the link to the referenced software:

http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html

Please note the following, extracted from TMPGEnc license agreement:

(The) free demo version of TMPGEnc can be used only for personal use or
noncommercial use such as presentation inside a company.
For commercial use, please purchase "TMPGEnc Plus".

Take care,

MPVRr
MPVRr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2006, 12:28 AM   #2

Ok, I figured out the output size issue. I had to go into Option > Preview Option and click 'Do not fix preview size'. It now outputs the original video size (640x480). There are also lots of other cool features under Settings > Advancedsuch as Color Correction, Sharpen, Noise Reduction, etc...still playing with these.

MPVRr
Old Jun 1, 2006, 7:40 PM   #3

This program does a great job, and the resulting enhanced files are up to 40 percent smaller than the original .asf.

MPVRr
Old Jun 9, 2006, 4:54 PM   #4

So no matter what, the MPVR will have out of sync audio?

This really sucks. Very unacceptable. I may have to return it and look around for another solution.

I have found another way to 'fix' the clips though.

First I convert the .asf file to a .avi file through the command line program ffmpeg. I use the bitrate of 3 Mbps to try not to lose any quality of the video.

Then I load the converted file into VirtualDub.

In the menu, I select Audio->Interleaving.
Then in the Audio Skew Correction section, I set the Delay audio track by -300 ms. (just from eye balling, the correction is probably -250 to -300 ms)

In the menu, select Audio->Full Processing Mode
In the menu, select Video->Direct Stream Copy
In the menu, select File->Save AVI

Choose a name. Voila. 'Fixed' video.

Rodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 10:46 PM   #5

I don't know if all MPVRs are afflicted with this problem, but mine certainly has been. I really like the smaller file size and the ease of the TMPEGEnc solution, and I can't notice any quality difference at all. The MPVR is a great cam, in my opinion...and the sync issue has only dulled my enthusiam a wee bit.

MPVRr