Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jun 10, 2006, 11:22 PM   #1

Hi...I have looked through all the posts....and I found a discussion on the sound lagging the video with the MPVR. But I have not seen any conclusion or solution to the problem. I have tried just using the internal flash thinking the SD might be slow.

My unit works well in all other capacities except the sound lags the video by about 1/2 sec.

I have a few days before I can't return it.....any ideas?

THanks,

Steve

stefany is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2006, 3:31 AM   #2

Is it common to have sound lag when recording using MPVR? I don't want to get this if this will be a problem. Thanks
h_A_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2006, 3:46 AM   #3

I just bought my MPVR a few days ago and noticed this problem right away. It sucks balls big time. I know I can correct it but it's something I do not want to do everytime I transfer video to my computer.
This is definitely a deal breaker and is making me wonder whether I should return it. Yet, I only spent $88 on it and I'm pretty satisfied with the outdoor footage and still shots. So I will still hold on to this since it's very easy to carry around and shoot footage on the fly. This is a piece of gear I will have on me a lot. I will not care much if it breaks since it was so cheap. That's probably the most important aspect of these cameras. The fact that I will have it on me and use it. If I end up purchasing a better quality, more expensive piece of gear such as.. the Sanyo VPC-HD1... I will have the assurance that it will take better video.. but I'm not sure I will have it on me as much since I will worry I will scratch or break a $700+ gadget. So for now, the MPVR works for me. We'll see later in the future. I may end up giving in and getting the Sanyo.. or possibly a Canon S3 IS (a 12x optical zoom digicam known for it's EXCELLENT video capture).. but there's no worries for me atm with MPVR. It's a cheapass crappy hybrid cam and that's fine for me. Just the fact that I'm taking footage is a good thing.

Rodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2006, 4:12 AM   #4

Why do you think is the problem? How do you fix this? The thing is, where I am, the MPVR is not that cheap. If this is really a problem, then I wont bother about getting them
Old Jun 11, 2006, 4:39 AM   #5

Because it is unacceptable for any camera to not do the basic functions a camera should do.. such as sync the audio with the video.. If you believe this is too expensive for you and can find another camera that can fulfill this basic function that flows with your expectations and price range, then don't get this camera.
As for 'fixing' the problem, I use the freeware program Virtualdub to correct the audio. Like I said, this is not something I'll want to do all the time. Cheap is relative. I am willing to pay hundreds more for a camera but I'm sticking with this for now since it is cheap to me and fulfills my needs for now.
It basically comes down to what you want do to. If you want to have webcam, PVR, MP3 player, digicam, and a camcorder in one, then go for it. If all you care about is video, then get a real camcorder. If you care more about photos, get a real digital camera.

Rodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2006, 4:49 AM   #6

walk us through on when the lagging occurs?

i have experienced this but as in the other thread mentions it is only for the first few seconds of the recording. havent seen it occur at the end.

i experimented with it and after about two/three seconds, i assume the buffer is up to speed by then, and the sound is sync.

as many of you new owners I was able to buy this for 88 bucks, which is still steep but is worth it for what the MPVr can offer.

i wasnt about to shell a grand for the ones with the harddrives and HD and 16:9, blah blah blah.

this is a great hybrid for fun, i wouldnt stake my life on it but its a cheap enough hybrid that does the same as the few hundred dollars models.

and it seems to me that it depends on what program you use to play the recordings. my WinMedia lags, but my divx and another program plays them fine.

the other thread suggests covering the mic a few seconds before and a few seconds after. and let the MPVr adjust a few seconds after you turn the MPVr on. dont turn it on and immediately press the record button.

EDIT: the other program is VLC media player.
SimplyOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2006, 5:09 AM   #7

Does this mean that the lag occurs only when using certain players? Or is the file recorded the problem?
Old Jun 11, 2006, 5:46 AM   #8

For me the lag occurs on the MPVR during playback and on any device I transfer it to.

I've turned the camera on and waited before recording, covered the mike for a few seconds(why would that help), and turned off the stabilizer, and everything else I can think of.....but the audio laggggsss the video.

Great little hybrid except I gotta fix the audio with other software.

Steve

stefany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2006, 5:46 AM   #9

thats what i am seeing.

actually another thing since i just double checked this after your post.

my laptop P4, XP, 3gh will play the videos fine with my Divx prog. I dont have VLC media player installed on the laptop. havent checked with the WinMedia (i think its v.10)

my desktop P3, ME, 900mh will play the videos fine with the VLC media player, but the Divx and the WinMedia (i think 9) will have the videos skip like a buffer problem, but the audio will play fine. definetly not in sync with the video.

so yes i believe its a program thing. it may also be a codec problem if its not up to date as mentioned in a different thread. i dont think computer chip is a factor.

VLC media player can be found here. http://www.videolan.org/
you can play quicktime vids so you dont have to open up a diff prog to play them.
SimplyOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2006, 5:51 AM   #10

1. 10 second rule. it is talked about in another thread.

2 vid aud fix , it is talked about in another thread.

3 1 post,and read al the topics hummm ( not picking on you)

vid aud issues are yes a pain, but please refrain from using harse words :Pwe have young viewers. (3face used them)

I count a few secs after the camera is on, then when I record i count a few more and cover the mic. keep the cameras first few secs free of wasted film, oand its end as well.

I do not care about voive and video, due to all my vids i edit with music.

the aiptek is not a cheap camera nore expensive, you must concider 199 at opening very expensive for not the top company to set a price.

Digilife, and Ispan are the better models, as well as creative labs

Mustek has the better vid/voice as well, Aiptek will tell you over the fone , Mustek is the better company and rules.

The camera at 88.00USC can be a very popular buy, if you feel you need a camcera that does not have these issues go for the IS-DV or lower ends. but I hear ya my town does not sell them. that hurts ( truely)

to fix the vidand Aud you may try filming in PAL, or try editing 29.97-30.01 down by .5 making it 29.7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWcKS9H2qQk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNgGENf_6BI
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote