Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jun 14, 2006, 11:10 AM   #1

Hi

Does anybody know what the size thread is on the DV5500 lens, and also where can you get accessories and thread converters, to fit the Raynox type lenses.

Many tkanks

furball is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2006, 12:56 PM   #2

does it have one or says it does? I believe I need to re-re read the mustek site?

http://mustek.com/ProductDetail.aspx?product=DV%205600

Please correct me if I am wrong?

if the mustek 5500 or 5600 same camcorder had this lens thread it would be concidered the first optical zoom camcorder if the correct lenes were attached?

I did not know with my olympus they made a special attachment for fish eye when it was out. too late as the camera is breaking........
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 3:07 PM   #3

There is definetly a thread on the lens, and using calipers it measures 23.5mm diameter, so it is possible that the thread size is about 25mm. If Mustek put a thread there I was wondering what for, as the lens cap isn't a screw fit. Standard filter and lens sizes don't seem to go this small.

Cheers
Old Jun 14, 2006, 3:30 PM   #4

I believe the lens cap need a place to grab, so possable it is for that, but if you own it bring itto a shop and fit it up

I do not own one, and so does anyone else here at the mmem. I believe one member was justablout to purchase and decided to go with a new company over a defective product the 5500 and5600 auto focus lockng leading to a throw away camera.
Old Jun 14, 2006, 4:39 PM   #5

There is a lip for the lens cap, and just below this you can see the thread lead in for 3 -4 turns, it just seems odd to have a thread for no reason. Maybe it was some future upgrade route that never came off??.

There was a problem with autofocus on the DV5500, the first one I had suffered this (after 2 weeks), but it was sorted very quickly, a replacement arrived from Germany in 5 days. This was 18 months ago, and it has worked perfectly ever since, great little camera.
Old Jun 14, 2006, 6:15 PM   #6

once again sounds like a plan.

bring it in and see what you can do. I think xx amount of digital zoom is no good at all, but if a lens can be fited you will most likely get .05-2.5 times. unless you modify and that may be excellent let us know.....
Old Jun 28, 2006, 5:58 AM   #7

Hi again

I have discovered that Sony now do a 25mm step up ring adapter, but my local dealer won't order one unless I pay up front, so I can't try before I buy. I have been told the latest Sony digi-cams have plastic threads on some models (just like the DV5500). Can anybody enlighten me?

I have spoken to a company (SRB), and they say from my measurements the thread could be possibly be 24 or 24.5mm as well, and they can custom make (at a price) one for me. Any feedback on off the shelf kit (if any) would be appreciated.

The reason I am being persistent is that I have a Sher 2x digital telephoto lens, that I usedwith a Olympus 2040Z until recently. I have tried holding it up to the DV5500 lens, and it seems to work great . You have to digital zoom to 1.4x to get rid of vignetting.

I suppose at the end of the day I could cobble together some sort of push-on adapter, but it won't look pretty.

Thanks

Old Jun 28, 2006, 1:31 PM   #8

best bet is your local camera shop i am on the urge to purchase this for my amcorder and they wil have addditional rings so maybe contacting an ebay person see if they will seperate with a ring?