Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jun 18, 2006, 11:46 PM   #1

Hi all.
I just got a DDV-920 today and stumbled on this forum, looks like a really good resource.

So far I'm less than impressed with the camera, but have read on here that people really like it so I'd like some suggestions or advice if possible. Would like to test out all options before I end up returning the camera..

The video is OK, not fantastic, but ok. I have it on the highest resolution and it does an acceptable job.

The still pictures on the other hand leave much to be desired.
Probably about 90% of them are motion blurred, then another 5% are not motion blurred but are out of focus, then about 5% look OK.

The biggest problem is the motion blurr. I've been trying to take pictures of my 4 month old son and it looks like it's just not going to happy.. they're all motion blurred. I took a few macro pictures of some flowers and one looked OK, the other was blurred.
The only picture that really looked good was the mountains in the distance.
I used the portrait setting for my son and macro setting for the flowers.

It's like the stutter is staying open too long and that's why I'm getting the motion blurr.

Also, if there are any pictures with dark or black areas, the black area is not black.. it's speckled with all different colors.. like random colored pixels or something.
I've tried it on all the quality settings, but can't find one that works well.

If anyone has any suggestions on things I can try to improve the picture quality I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks a lot!
showson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 19, 2006, 12:53 AM   #2

Welcome showson1,

I've been using a 920 for a few months now. I have to say I have not had the problems you mentioned. I guess you know that the problems you mention could be caused by using it in conditions too dim for proper operation, but that should not affect such a high percentage of your shots. Have you tried using the flash for indoor shots?

Be careful using the focus adjustment. It is very fussy. What I would do if I were you, is to set up a ruler or tape measure, and take a series of shots of something at specific distances and different focus settings. The examine, by zooming in, the resulting stills, and determine what exact distance provides the best focus for each setting. Then, measure out those distances for portrait and closeups on your arm or hand, and use that to get just the right distance from the subject.

Btw, one would think that if these matters are a problem for stills, they would also affect your video clips.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 6:14 AM   #3

Showson1 welcom aboard as well.

You as ka number of excellent questions.

1st Q. where did you get your Hybrid?

let us try to answwer your questions based on, that we own this Camera, other models, and a majot brand one ofa digital not hybrid.

we'll start of with the most important question. " you are trying to snap you infant?"

If your baby is constantly moving, your picture will be 50/50 good or bad.

A. try turning on the camera, let it start up, then do not just snap away. hold it up and keep it steady, close to your body, you leaningagainst a wall or on the coffee tabel, etc when you press the shutter do not move a muscle for a good 10 secs ( up to 10 secs) let the sound go "CLICK" after the sound you must keeps still, why? electronics at work. allow the camera to finish, that may help some..

2nd Q. 90% are blurred, 5 % are out offocus, and 5% are good.

this can lead to question one. shuter speed, means that your Firmware is outdated or one of the orginal hybrids on the market, you are snapping a still too fast for the fixed shutter, your wb balance can be not set properly, your ep seting is either too high or too low? and the flash will just cause whiteout.

3rd Q. picture areas are dark, and not black areas.

the camera should adjust to colour of any sortw/o a problem at all see if the sensor or settings are again adjusted correctly and you are in a well lit area.

Now what know for sure and hope it may clear up some confusssion

MACHRO 28 inchs is the CLOSEST you are able to film at, not 4 INCHS ( not a pro camera) so no matter what a person does to get close up in portrait ormachro mode you'll never get a excellent shot at all, even on any type of hybrid, sorry if i sound blunt or sticking to my guns on this one.

Portraitshouldalso have a limit of howclose you can get and that may be 28 inchs to 6 feet, I do not remember

infinity(~) from 28 inchs to ~

Now Sg made somestrong suggestions, he has no problems like you described, and has past expierience with other hybrids, and gotten used to these situations or not, as well as I . he tels you to do a measuring test and I agree

some of us do not have a tape measure so best thing to do is do all your filming when you getthattime "OUTSIDE" when your baby is watched and allowed to be cared for.

A. place an objct up colorful and brillient up back up 8 paces and snap you may want to place numbers up 8 for 8 feet 6 for6 feet , etc get up close as 3 feet, 2 feet even 1 feet on the regular shot and the same forporrait , and machro. at 8 feet to 1 foot setings. then try out sunny andtungsten modes , ep modes to you decifer what the cause is, hope these suggestions help out.

if all else fails, I return this camera and get yourself somethingelse if you preferre another hybrid .or other.

Video should be clear and not fuzzy panning will cause out of focus and blurr, white out, and adjustment. practice slow panning over fast movements, keeping still, and not usin zoom will hep out on any shot

the hybrid has a 8 x digital zoom, and not worth a dime. so if you decide to zoom in which it sounds like you are doing to get your shots Please remember to keep int under 4 once you getp[assed4 its a waste.

its alsoftware minpulation, and the editing tools will do better on a pc.

Hopewe have again helped outlet us know where you got this, if any of our info helped , and problems resolved, we are not pro's but here to help.

last thing there was a rush of 920 around 30 or more and , we have not heard our members and others for awhile. Ebay seller QoG hass topped their sales already , and hope to see more selling?

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2006, 10:32 AM   #4

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
2nd Q. 90% are blurred, 5 % are out offocus, and 5% are good.

this can lead to question one. shuter speed, means that your Firmware is outdated or one of the orginal hybrids on the market, you are snapping a still too fast for the fixed shutter, your wb balance can be not set properly, your ep seting is either too high or too low? and the flash will just cause whiteout.

3rd Q. picture areas are dark, and not black areas.

the hybrid has a 8 x digital zoom, and not worth a dime. so if you decide to zoom in which it sounds like you are doing to get your shots Please remember to keep int under 4 once you getp[assed4 its a waste.

Thanks for the info.

I agree that the blurryness is most likely shutter speed, do you know where I can get an updated firmware to fix this? I checked the website but couldn't find a firmware update.

The pictures aren't dark, I haven't really had an issue in shooting in any kind of light conditions. The issue I have is with very dark or black objects, they show as "speckled pixels" when I look at the photo on my computer... it's very pretty, but not exactly what I'm looking for.

I'll post a sample of what I mean when I get home from work today.

I haven't used the zoom in my pics.. well I did play with it but I know digital zooms are worthless.The issues I posted about were all without using the zoom.

My only issue with the video is that it's only 640x480, but that's not that big of a problem.

Probably my biggest issue with the camera is the blurry and/or motion-blurred pics and the problem with the dark objects. If I could fix those I'd be pretty happy with it.

Thanks again for the info and anything additional you can provide!

Old Jun 19, 2006, 10:07 PM   #5

Ok.. here are two examples.
The first one is an example of the blurriness I was talking about, the second is the speckled colors when shooting something black or dark.

I tried pictures at different resolutions and pulled them up in photoshop. It looks like at the High quality the shutter speed is 1/8 of a second, at standard or low quality it's 1/15 of a second.

I tried a few more pics at standard and it seems to help the blurry pictures a bit. I played around with white balance and exposure and they didn't seem to make a difference. I checked the firmware and it was the same as fishycomics DDV-120 post.

Thanks for any advice!

http://www.mygoofystuff.com/pics/blurry.JPG
http://www.mygoofystuff.com/pics/speckles.JPG

Old Jun 20, 2006, 1:15 AM   #6

Is your cameras lens set to macro mode? That would explain the blurry pics.
Bob C
bobbyc03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 1:16 AM   #7

Is your cameras lens set to macro mode? That would explain the blurry pics.

The pics with my DDV920 always seem over exposed. What I do now is go into the menu when I first turn it on and set the exposure down one notch. I get way better pics and video that way.
Bob C
bobbyc03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 5:52 PM   #8

I've tested the pics with all the different settings, macro, portrait and landscape (or whatever that last one is called).
Old Jun 21, 2006, 12:47 AM   #9

Well.. if no one has any other suggestions it looks like I'm going to have to return this thing.

It does an OK job outside in the sunlight, but it's horrible inside where you have to use the flash. Colored pixels everywhere.

Setting the resolution seemed to help with the blurry pictures, but nothing has solid colors. Even in outdoor pictures, if there's something black it's not totally black.. it's all speckled again.

I like the concept, but appears they have to work on it a bit.

If anyone's thinking of getting one of these, unless you just want to play around with it, I wouldn't recommend it... again unless I'm missing something, but doesn't appear I am.

Thanks.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 4:20 PM   #10

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Some of them did indeed help, but I ended up returning the camera this weekend. Just not the quality I was looking for.

Thanks.