Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jun 21, 2006, 4:01 PM   #1

I've read many of these great posts, with reviews/opinions of many different models... but I'm looking for something a little different.

I ride dirt bikes- and I'd like to capture some of the footage, much like many of the posters here do w/snowboarding, etc. this presents some unique requirements... I'll by making a foam support/guard for it, to attach to the left-side of the helmet, or the top, if it's not a very tall model.

mainly: 1- I need it to record video with the LCD screen closed! I'm seeing that several of these will shut off completely when you snap the display back in. if I have to buy one and disassemble it, to disable the 'LCD-closed' turnoff switch, I can do that... but I'd rather not, if there's one that records with it closed!

2- a remote control would be spectacular! I'd like to not have to start/pause 'by braille' ifI could- this requires a riding partner to be near, so I can ask 'Hey, is the red light on?' (which i've done, using a too-heavy DV-tape camera) this isn't required, as I see there's not too many that come with that as an option....

3- it would be nice if it recorded in stereo! I'm not sure how many actually do that (even with a remote microphone- tha'ts fine, too)... it's the digital age, and if you're making reasonably good-quality MPEG4 video, why not have good sound, too...?

4- $200 US or less...! for a device that may or may not be smashed to bits within 20 minutes- I'd like to keep the investment low....

5- I'm also assuming a CCD is a better way to go...

6- form factor: I actually prefer to have the camera mounted top-center on my helmet- this means that I'd rather have a camera that is short in height... and I wouldn't care how wide or deep it is. or- do any of these cameras record normal-position video, while laying them on their side? meaning- can you set it up to record 640-width x 480-height video while rotated 90 degrees, and have it all look correct when played back?

...and I'm not interested in most remote-helmet-cam-to-videocamera choices, as all I've seen only allow recording to an analog video-camera- and I'm too lazy to want to go through all the 'capturing' that's required to get a digital file from analog tape. direct-to-MPEG4 sounds great to me... so one of these SD-card movie cameras would be perfect.

also: I don't care at all about the mp3-capability, or even the still-image capability, or it's ability to brew up a nice espresso- I just want video footage!

another also: I can't use zoom while riding, so it's not necessary- but if it had it (optical, of course), that would probably make it more versatile for non-bike use...!

thanks, all....

~Reuben

Please do not place emails in your post thank you protecting the poster

ReubenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2006, 4:47 PM   #2

Rueban welcome aboard i do appologiese off the bat We try notto post email addys here at all, due to the 4 letter word to your inbox (lol protecting you, Pm is a better way for attention thank you.

to answer your questions and hope others can answer as well.

q1. lcd closed

answ. most hybrids will record with the tft reversed and closed, but wil scratch the lens, or break it

Q2 remote.

ans. most are infrared, so not having the sensor in view is no good.

q3 sterio

answ sanyo exacti 700.00 others may be close to that price range

q4 200.00 usc less

answ aiptek IS-DV, 88-130 mustek 3500 79-130 I am sure i can name others but you mentioned demensions

q5 ccd

answ ccd or cmos prefrence both do the same job. in their ways. review cmos vs ccd will ahve to post that up ?

q6 form factor.

answ. tripod attachment sd placement battery etc. alot may be involve and will answer as one

Alright I wil answer the rest here;

Check out the Aiptek models the latest is the is-dv2 119.00 and the two I Will recommend and up to you to decide

Mustek dv3500 is small 2aa system 90 degree open close lcd can be turned on and off with a button (pressing a button fortic tac and off and on)(simple) leaving thetft on will not eat up battery life 3 hours garanteed on 2aa rechargables fresh new ones not outdated. has a blue led in front for record and a tripod thread on the bottom asf file excellent video no remote no extended mic, but mic is in front npo stabilizer vid settings

Aiptek Is-dv has a reverse screen may be better to say is the vid on but the icon may be too small to see the record. cannot remember if has a front led mic is behind the tft screen has " STABILIZER but the sd is on the bottom. has a flash ( mustek dv4500 has a flash, but not powerful) (is-dv flash powerful) vid may be just under the top one I mention but good 2 settings li-on battery

well if you like more info go through here again find these two look at the review

I think the mustek may be better b/c if you tend to ride for hours you need to refuel, as well as the is-dv it runs 1.5 hours dead need to recharge and battery runs camera while loading to pc bad thing, the mustek if you need to recharge throw a new set of aa rechargable or even alkalines

now a camcorder would do but that would be bulky like you aid

you mentioned sd or something all are asf avi and all you need to do is read to the pc andedit no tape good luck let us know on the choice

ReubenL wrote:
Quote:
I've read many of these great posts, with reviews/opinions of many different models... but I'm looking for something a little different.

I ride dirt bikes- and I'd like to capture some of the footage, much like many of the posters here do w/snowboarding, etc. this presents some unique requirements... I'll by making a foam support/guard for it, to attach to the left-side of the helmet, or the top, if it's not a very tall model.

mainly: 1- I need it to record video with the LCD screen closed! I'm seeing that several of these will shut off completely when you snap the display back in. if I have to buy one and disassemble it, to disable the 'LCD-closed' turnoff switch, I can do that... but I'd rather not, if there's one that records with it closed!

2- a remote control would be spectacular! I'd like to not have to start/pause 'by braille' ifI could- this requires a riding partner to be near, so I can ask 'Hey, is the red light on?' (which i've done, using a too-heavy DV-tape camera) this isn't required, as I see there's not too many that come with that as an option....

3- it would be nice if it recorded in stereo! I'm not sure how many actually do that (even with a remote microphone- tha'ts fine, too)... it's the digital age, and if you're making reasonably good-quality MPEG4 video, why not have good sound, too...?

4- $200 US or less...! for a device that may or may not be smashed to bits within 20 minutes- I'd like to keep the investment low....

5- I'm also assuming a CCD is a better way to go...

6- form factor: I actually prefer to have the camera mounted top-center on my helmet- this means that I'd rather have a camera that is short in height... and I wouldn't care how wide or deep it is. or- do any of these cameras record normal-position video, while laying them on their side? meaning- can you set it up to record 640-width x 480-height video while rotated 90 degrees, and have it all look correct when played back?

...and I'm not interested in most remote-helmet-cam-to-videocamera choices, as all I've seen only allow recording to an analog video-camera- and I'm too lazy to want to go through all the 'capturing' that's required to get a digital file from analog tape. direct-to-MPEG4 sounds great to me... so one of these SD-card movie cameras would be perfect.

also: I don't care at all about the mp3-capability, or even the still-image capability, or it's ability to brew up a nice espresso- I just want video footage!

another also: I can't use zoom while riding, so it's not necessary- but if it had it (optical, of course), that would probably make it more versatile for non-bike use...!

thanks, all....

~Reuben

Please do not place emails in your post thank you protecting the poster

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 5:33 PM   #3

Thanks, Fishy!

tell me- does it matter if it encodes video as '.ASF' as opposed to '.AVI'? I want good quality, andthe ability to edit the footage, and burn to DVD if I want. is there any reason to avoid an '.ASF'-only camera? if it saves a step or two, or will prevent any loss of quality due to a 'conversion', I'd like to go that route...

I should also have stated: I'd like 640x480 at 30 FPS (frames per second) as a minimum...

ReubenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 5:46 PM   #4

30 fps is most new ones today unless specified 10 15 [email protected] hq

avi is bigger better, asf is the newer next step up, compressed, will not tell much in loss quality there is also jpeg motion as well and that can have as high as 60fps

asf on older models will hold a lot of data, while newer ones start to use up a little more

for example again 3 hours low quality on muste and 1 1/2 on low while my mpvr 48 min hq and 1hr 20 min low. an when I mention low quality its bad toss the film out. all my vid is hq

Old Jun 21, 2006, 5:55 PM   #5

mustek 4500

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=92

aiptek is-dv

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=92
Old Oct 13, 2006, 11:02 PM   #6

I've been using something called a Knucklehead Cambox and I love it. I mount my Casio Z750 onto my street bike, motocross helmet and 4 wheeler. I even used it to record my hunting excursions. This guys sells it on ebay for $58 and I think I would pay twice and still come out ahead of what everyone else puts into a helmet cam. I found the link if you want to check it out. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%3AIT&rd=1
timmykeystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 2:56 AM   #7

I've talked about this earlier here. Maybe a search of this forum for "helmet cam" would turn up some stuff.

1. Most of these hybrids will keep running with the screen closed, if the screen is reversed. This means it is more vulnerable, but you can still have it closed that way.

2. Most of the Digilife, and some of the Aiptek models have remote controls. Other than some camcorders and high end dsc's, few other cameras have remotes. A remote would save you from pressing buttons on the camera on your head, but operating a remote will be a problem also. The range is too short to be of much use by someone else in a sport where you cover as much distance in a short time as cycling.

3. &4. You won't find anything that records stereo sound under $200.

5. I'd say not to worry about whether it's cmos or ccd. At this price point, there's little performance difference. They are different, but I'd say one doesn't seem better than the other overall.

6. While you can rotate stills easily, rotating video is not so simple. Either way, you will lose portions of the image when displayed on typical 4:3 screens.

One option is to get a hybrid that has an av-in port. Then get a spycam with microphone and feed that into the hybrid. This will work, but has many hassles:
- the microphone suffers badly from wind noise
- a good enough spycam will be up near $100 by itself
- you have to provide power to the spycam
- you have two devices to turn on and off, and the spycam lacks a power switch
- all the connections have to be solid. Jack plugs are prone to damage and coming out

I tried this for recording idiotic motorists during my bicycle commute to work, and immediately found it was so much hassle it basically didn't work.

Instead I bought one of those ATC-1000 (?) integrated helmet cams. It has no screen to worry about, but suffers from the following:
- 640x480 at only 15fps
- cheap lens is a very poor performer
- ditto for the cheap sensor
- agonizingly slow response to operating the controls
- microphone basically records wind noise
- aiming it is a continuous challenge
- no time/date stamp on image files
- it's a bit too much stuff to stick on your helmet

The Tony Hawk helmet cam solves the aiming problem by using a laser, but I imagine it suffers from many of the other ATC problems. If they'd just make more expensive versions of these cameras.

I wouldn't worry about whether such a camera is .asf or .avi output. The other issues are so much more important.

If I weren't so cheap, I'd buy a Samsung Miniket Sports with the remote lense head. I suspect it would be the best setup for my needs. But it's $600-700 cdn where I live, and takes crappy stills.

I'll have to take a look at the knucklehead cam that timmykeystone suggested, because so far I have not found a solution that I think is anywhere near good enough.

sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 7:34 AM   #8

aiptek MPVR review in the last 3 pages would be one and a person talks about it in the last page at this moment

he is very thankful and happy
Old Oct 19, 2006, 2:05 AM   #9

The ATC-2000 is hitting the market soon. It does 640x480 at 30fps, better than the ATC-1000 and Tony Hawk cams. It also has a helmet strap like the Tony Hawk one. The problem with the the ATC-1000's arrangement is that there's no way to attach it to your head if you're not wearing a helmet.

It will be interesting to see if it reacts faster to the controls, since the 1000 is horridly slow, and which is a big problem in situations where you don't have loads of time to operate the camera, holding buttons down for 9 seconds etc.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote