Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jun 30, 2006, 3:52 AM   #1

Hey guys...

I'm an idoit... I plugged my Ispan 920 into the wrong charger for and now it's unresponsive. Observations:

*When plugged into the wall, the camera powers and works - however the buttons have become mixed up in functionality.

*when powered by bettery, the camera acts as if it's been plugged into tothe computer, if i press the rec/play button the camera light goes green as if i've just activated the web cam.

*when plugged into the computer, acts as should.

What should i do? I'm so scared that its permenently ruined.... any suggestions?

the plug i accidently used was rated at 4.5V DC @ 300mA.
aijuswannasing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2006, 6:59 AM   #2

the camera will with stand 6 vdc up to. causing a lcd glitch.

the charger is rated at 4.5-5vdc and hasa capaciter to lower the standards to 3.7vcd.

now look into the port see if any wires or pins are rubbing.

I am sory t say it may have sustaineddamage. but lets take it a step at a time.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 4:01 PM   #3

hey fishy,

thanks for the quick reply.

From what i can see through the port, it all seems ok. I think the only way for me to really see if it's just the port is to open it, but I can't seem to figure out how.

I'm thinking that either some connections inside are shorting (perhaps the voltage melted some inner solder) or the extra voltage messed up one of the IC's programming.

Some progress though, when plugged into the wall the buttons seem to work as they should now, except the flash control which won't change in any focus setting.

I'm really hoping it's a port or solder problem, cuz i can fix that.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 4:35 PM   #4

the site is slow to respond hope others will join your quest have a good one.
Old Jul 1, 2006, 1:43 AM   #5

To get "into" the 920, or the MPVR, as someone else was asking, you need to remove the piece of plastic that folds over the top like a saddle. I believe the 920 also has a couple of screws underneath the shiny "5M CCD" sticker above the screen. But I haven't removed the sticker on mine to verify that. Use some sort of thin blade to carefully pry off the saddle-shaped cover. This should uncover more screws for removing the non-screen side of the case.

The "11MP Enhanced 8X Digital Zoom" decorative plate may also be stuck on and hiding screws. But it will be difficult to remove without bending it. I'd try prying off the flat black plastic panel below it to see what screws it's hiding. The 920 is uncommon in that there are no exposed screws. You could also try removing the screw in the tripod socket to see if that does anything besides removing the socket. Further, I suspect the clear plastic "MPEG-4" decoration on the front is either stuck on, or latched on, and also hides screws.

How much damage you risk doing to get it apart has to be in proportion to how badly damaged it is.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 1:09 AM   #6

Hey Guys, some progress:

When plugged into the wall, the camera acts as normal now, the only button that doesn't work is the flash button, regardles of focus setting.

I ran a use chord to the camera port directly to the battery leads and found that it had the same effect as before whereas the camera belived it was plugged into the computer. This has lead me to believe that the problem may also be the battery.

It seems to me the way the camera decifers between being plugged into the wall vs plugged into the computer by voltage or current in. do you understand what i mean?

I need to pick up a multimeter or something to further troubleshoot the problem.

Old Jul 4, 2006, 2:10 AM   #7

Or a known-good battery.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 9:16 AM   #8

aijuswannasing wrote:
Quote:
*When plugged into the wall, the camera powers and works - however the buttons have become mixed up in functionality.
I have the same problem, when my ispan is plugged into the wall. It's very difficult to navigate throught the menus :?

aijuswannasing wrote:
Quote:
It seems to me the way the camera decifers between being plugged into the wall vs plugged into the computer by voltage or current in.
No, theAC adapterUSB cable is different from a standard USB cable ! It's not a question of voltage or current.

For a standard mini USB b cable (5 pin), pin mapping is like this :
1st = +5V, 2nd = +Data, 3rd = -Data, 4th = Nothing, 5th = Ground.
Now with the AC adapter, it's like this :
1st = +5V, 2nd = Nothing, 3rd = Nothing, 4th = +5V, 5th = Ground.

So when the 4th pin is alimented with +5V, the ispan knows that it is plugged into the wall, and not to the computer.
Blutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 3:02 PM   #9

Thanks Blutch,

This leads me to believe that it must be the battery then. Perhaps something shorted out within the battery it was connected to the wrong charger?

If your right then the problem is hopefully just the battery because the USB chord i used was from a spare Ispan charger (therefore the pins should be correct).

I agree with sg and i'm going to get a spare, known-working battery.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 3:31 PM   #10

I think its an agrement with sg on the batery, but.

Take 3 aa's and seewhat you can do to get them to touch the pins to see if the camera works fine, b4 investing in a new battery

I understand the door must be closed to work.

right now benigman franklin flew a kite to invent electricity. and its a start. or was it to gather electricity

or was it back 2 the future. DOc.

try a new battery. these batt's do die real fast, a cellphone does not die that fast but a camera cel battery seems to

On the MPVr it sems a good Number of charges the battery shows great wear