Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jul 3, 2006, 7:55 PM   #1

I got my MPVR 2K6 today, finally, from HSN.COM. I got it on flexpay. UPS muxed up the shipping, so instead of Friday, I got it today on Monday.

Anyway...

Ill make this REAL short.. I dont have a lot of time to invest right now, but will post more info along with sample photos and videos SOON.

For $144, its a pretty darn good deal. *IF* you know how to use it right.

There are a lot of "little" things that can make a big difference. Im a power user of every toy I get my hands on (I "converted" my PocketPC to a GPS system. Easy enough, but I wasnt happy with just a PPC :-)

In short, the video is "pretty good", given plenty of daylight.
However, compared to a decent budget camcorder, its not that good.

So, the solution... (I will post the details later) is to couple the MPVR to a camcorder, and let it do the digital capture, instead of the camcorder, but use the camcorder as the camera. I know it sounds "odd", but you wait and see!

I captured a short segment off DVD of the video STOMP. The video quality is, well... amazing! So I already know this setup will work. Tomorrow is July the 4th, I doubt Radio Shark will be open, but I need 2 Female to Female RCA adapters and Ill be able to post sample video of using it as a digital capture device.

The video sample of STOMP can be downloaded at my site:
http://socketsolutions.com/digitalvi...DVD-Sample.avi

Compare file sizes:
Original ASF: 114 Meg
Converted AVI: 32 Meg

Its converted to AVI for file saving reasons, however you will be able to see the video.

Video is in XviD (If you have Divx Player, your fine), with MP3 audio.

Ill be posting methods using AviSynth how to convert our ASF to MPEG1/2 and Divx/XviD AVI, be patient, Im pretty darn busy and this is my "hobby".

Here is a smple picture, again, if you know what your doing, you can get decent results.
http://socketsolutions.com/digitalvideo/mpvr-01.jpg

MORE TO COME. If you want more, post here, it will encourage me to follow up with DETAILS more quickly.

Capt.Video

Capt.Video is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2006, 6:04 AM   #2

cap't video welcome tot he site.

All you have mentioned , has been done. his is the wonder of how you can do certain things to the camera and how it reacts the way you want it to.

have fun enjoy the camcorder and if you hook up the real camcorder see how night life works out .

a Pc camcorde it is a true home movie camcorder it is not.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 7:06 AM   #3

I have a Sony camcorder with NightShot.

Thanks for the welcome!

Capt.Video
Old Jul 4, 2006, 8:01 AM   #4

You mentioned about av hooking up to a camcorder wel, here is a quick vid sorry the sound is off due to feedback

1. video sample: it is jerky due to holding two camcorders (lol)

It i possable, just have to remember shot of Icons
Old Jul 4, 2006, 2:04 PM   #5

I just tried it... video looked real good in the LCD display of the MPVR, but the ASF didnt turn out much better than using the MPVR's optics & sensor.

Ill try a few more things and post any better findings.

Odd... very odd! Seeing as how the DVD capture turned out, which was excelent.

Capt.Video

PS
Im going to check your link in just a sec...

Old Jul 4, 2006, 2:29 PM   #6

viewing through a camcorder and recording through a mpvr. yep........

watt ifind is in a situation you can take a binocular and capture that shot or if you have a camera with playback. to have shot of a far away object up close is better then having none but at least you can crop outthe icons.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 3:37 PM   #7

Just picked up MPVR from Worst Buy this morning-$119, already have a SD card, video looks fairly good. Will have to play with it some. Got this one to try and capture some TV broadcasts.

Jim
jim_gazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 4:13 PM   #8

as the hybrid is a excellent choice in some there may be problems if trying to save in Win movie maker, and may needother software that allows editing over the muvee4 software which is just okay.

welcome aboard catch some fireworks, decide on what you wil do with it and I'll be keeping my eye out for the zoom-dv6 in a few weeks.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 11:28 PM   #9

Hiya Capt'n,

I'm very interested in your technique. I have a decent mini-DV camcorder that I could use. Looking forward to your posts!

Take care,

MPVRr
MPVRr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 9:57 AM   #10

Hi,

This is exactly one of the reason why I bought my DV6800. My Mini DV camcorder with infrared light, x26 optical, etc. died. The problem is in the mechanical part of the tape recording, so all the optics, zoom , (and audio zoom with external mic) and infrared are still working. I used it a couple of times with the MVR as the "digital tape"until I was able to fix my camcorder. It worked fine and here are my comments:

1. The battery of the camcorder last longer than the battery of the MPVR

2. You will not be able to see the status of the MPVR immediately like battery level and you dont know when the memory will be filled. (I normally put the mpVR in the pocket)

3.You need to press the start/stop record button on the MPVR and not on the camcorder.

4. Some of the icons in the camcorder are recorded (maybe in some model you can totally disable these icons)

on the other hand, the video recorded on the MPVR is already digitized, I do not need to capture it to convert to digital.

As I said, I only used this scheme a couple of times, but it definitely works.

My camcorder is a Sharp WD-650U

juandelacruz is offline   Reply With Quote