Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jul 6, 2006, 12:48 AM   #1

Trying to decide on a camcorder/still - (Hybrid) camera. Comparing the Sanyo XACTI line with something like the Sony M! or M2. What is MPEG 2 good for versus MPEG 4 . Which is better or what specific uses are they aimed at. Can anyone give a good explaination of the comparison? MPEG-2 vs. MPEG-4
jconery is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2006, 2:48 AM   #2

http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/research/mp...8/faq_v38.html
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 2:15 PM   #3

Thank you for the link. This is a bit much for the average layperson to read through. My main concern is to use the MPEG format that will be preferrred over the other (MPEG 2 or 4) . As an example TV news people in the feild, will their cameras use 2 or 4? What about TV industry and consumer camcorders in general. We all know tape is going away. What will be the eventual commonly used standard???
Old Jul 6, 2006, 4:19 PM   #4

I try not to get technical

"mpeg4 is a not a format but a compression ( something like that)

"avi, asf, and jpeg motion are formats avi is the biggest asf compressed and jpeg more like snapshots

"which is better all depends on what type of format you like

"I preferre asf, but like avi

"some avi's I have or had can get rreally big for file size as well as asf.

I own quite a few hybrids

"my mustek dv4500 3 hours record time ona 512 sd card while my mpvr on a 1 gig 1 1/2 hr
"hmmmmmm.

"double the card and less video (lol) yes both are of asf formats but cameras are different nd use their software to read/write differentl

"sorry i was of lil help.

Old Jul 6, 2006, 4:59 PM   #5

No this was definitely helpful, what do you think of the Sanyo XACTI cameras? They appear to be the best (but not cheapest) hybrids as far as video capability. You agree?
Old Jul 6, 2006, 5:21 PM   #6

JConery

you have excellent taiste. i agree 100%

but not worth he 400-800.00usc they're asking

1. battery life

2 night video

3 optical zoom

4 auto fucus, machro, infinity attachement lenses

these would be key issues if I were spending the big bucks

I now onw a Jvc camcorder, I love it for its size, battery life, and 32x optical zoom

I do not like that I cannot vid to a sd card. some camcorders allow you that.

I researched till I got so sick, I broke down and had to choose between 3 models

sony cannon jvc sony a lot of money. canon jvc the same. economy money

Getting back to he xacti On topic

decide if it is right for you look in the Sanyo section . go to not just steves review but Dpreview i beileve it is the competitor see if there is a write up. I am sure if you yahoo google you'll get a vid

I tried my hardest to find one, and when I did it looked awesome til it was zoomed in on certain shot situations a big hype.

Before you truely decide Aiptek, zoom-dv6 will be available soon. july/aug 8th 200.00usc not telling you to buy it look at it.

will do all of what the sanyo will do but not 10x optical or 5x but of 3x optical. I think anything more than 3,5,10 would be satasifactory

32x optical is very hard to handle especially when I am on the waters.

Old Jul 7, 2006, 3:08 PM   #7

we're going to close this topic Please review this it is a dble posted question in what camera i should buy thank you
Old Jul 8, 2006, 12:50 AM   #8

I just wanted to add that the Hybrid list specs which cameras use Mpeg2. They tend to be more expensive models, using microdrives. Mpeg2 doesn't compress as much as Mpeg4, thereby giving sharper output, but using far more storage space. Over the two years I've had hybrid cameras, it seems pretty clear to me that how they implement mpeg4 is being continually tweaked to yield better results, and the storage space needed relative to the quality has always been better than mpeg2.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2006, 6:12 AM   #9

As again this is a repeated topic in what camera I should bu

i will be closing out certain topics and combining them this is just an expeiriement so please do not get offended. its called house keepimng
Old Jul 12, 2006, 12:54 AM   #10

I decided to put my topic here as well because I later discovered the Hybrid discussion. Itis more pertinent to the topic. "What camera should I buy" could be anything. If you are going to be a self appointed moderator, please address topics accurately.