Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jul 22, 2006, 3:28 PM   #11

Total newbie to digital stuff, I only shoot 35mm SLR but my wife said she wanted digital and like video so when I saw this cheap thing competing with the cheapest digital cameras I thought WTH. I did not want to spend time shopping this up and so a low investment seemed fair. I may have been happier with a still camera which can take video but perhaps this will not be much diff. I looked also at Nikon L3 or L4 for her or Samsung S500 which were $140, $170, and $140 -- all more than I paid for this. Hope I will like it.

Most my exp with this so far is problems.

* My WinME system was listed as compatible but the main aiptek application did not install, claiming unsupported.
* The compatible card application is useless for moving files, it tried to copy images from my computer to my camera -- repeatedly.
* I can't figure how a large guy's hands hold the camera. My wife is leftie and that will be worse yet. Lack of swivel makes that worse, and the fact I can't pivot nor use software to reorient the screen data bugs me.
* The internal memory is so small that it takes only three 6MB images so I feel we have to use the default 3MB which for some reason creates JPG files which are about 380kb. (Why is the 6MB really using an uncompressed 6MB each file?)
* Have yet to read the PDF on the CD which I hpe answers lots of questions since this thing is very badly documented otherwise. It's as though the software and hardware departments don't really talk to one another or work for the same company.

This is my first digital camera, it is sure I will spend more on the next one
shelded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 3:33 PM   #12

Not ignoring your comment about the images (I had not seen them) nor about the LED (it's daylight here!) and I can't do much testing since it's a BDay gift for later today.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 5:59 PM   #13

Shelded 1 year here and Welcome aboard you get the big welcome aboard here.

Win ME is not supported. An Aiptek Box it should say:

win 98se win 2000. and XP. and mac file upload or file load

win 98, and me can probably be minipulated to get the camera or hybrid working

my mustek i had to trick the win 98 to get the drivers up.

so if you can deal w/o the webcam, and and the removal of the sd card in/out all the time. that should do just fine? We do not know if t he camera is ran off the usb port or its batery, the IS-DV ran off the batery and notthe usb port, very bad feature if low battery currupted files, agree rgvcam?

internal memory may only be 32 meg and 16 must be for the flash, read/write buffer, that leaves you with 16 meg of internal memory, the other is basically firmware the elf files, that can be upgraded by calling Aiptek support center @ california, no emails you'll wait forever the do not reply not their job description. they sell rather support. they will repair the camera annd that they do 100% garanteed.

The 6 meg per still leaves you 3 pics yes it does, software interpolation is not needed, it all can be done on editing software not the camera still nice to think you're taking a 6 meg shot but its 3 meg dressed up.

a external sd/mmc card is needed, and 1 meg is really needed no more, on a LI-on system rechargable same thing. 2 megs would be over kill, but if I were on a vacation, or had to use quite a bit of memory up, 2 meg today is reasonable @30-60.00 . When I started out all I could afford was 32 meg and I paid 100 usc 5 years ago(wow) that's how long sinceI had my hybrid. ask sg he'll back me up?

Finece or masculane (spell check) not the issue I agree big handsand being a lefty, we get acustomed to using our right handed tecniques. w/o a swival and being so tight and small you are moe likey to not worry the record button is located on the rear of the camera I preferre a record on the top

the IS-Dv has the record on the rear, and the pic on the top that made my start stop movies shaky.

the other cameras are following the rear,

I rather hold onto my Mustek and preferre the mustek over the aiptek the Mustek dv4500 is a better camera but again prefrence?

LAstly the pdf will have more info. but these hybrids are so simple to use not funny

If you personally ask me I would return the camera, go out ,get Casio sexslim or capatable one they have 3x optical zoom, last 2 hrs. take atrue 6 meg shot and zoom while in record mode

I do not like to say that the IS-DV2 is a good or bad device but it's all hype and its a the simular model of a 3300-4500 not the is-dv.

Please review your camera and when you have that time we all would love to hear from you on it.

again a big warm welcome

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 9:00 PM   #14

Color on the reply above is yikky since I chose the white backgd for this forum. I'll read it next.

Wanted to point out how I just about destroyed the house with this camera. I put alkalines in it, and since the USB cable seemed to be the same as for my MP3 player (it's NOT, there's a bump in the digicam cable) I plugged it in and tossed it out of sight where my wife wouldn't see it.

Like an hour later I picked up the cam and it's probably 150 degrees. I opened/removed everything. Ran cold water over batteries, which I assume were trying to recharge from the cable I used.

I still don't know what my error was perhaps that bump is a resistor or the cable is a non-charging cable and the digicam's isn't. Proper documentation would warn me against this but I don't see it. Probably is a common problem with many devices.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 7:10 AM   #15

shelded wrote:
Quote:
Color on the reply above is yikky since I chose the white backgd for this forum. I'll read it next.

Wanted to point out how I just about destroyed the house with this camera. I put alkalines in it, and since the USB cable seemed to be the same as for my MP3 player (it's NOT, there's a bump in the digicam cable) I plugged it in and tossed it out of sight where my wife wouldn't see it.

Like an hour later I picked up the cam and it's probably 150 degrees. I opened/removed everything. Ran cold water over batteries, which I assume were trying to recharge from the cable I used.

I still don't know what my error was perhaps that bump is a resistor or the cable is a non-charging cable and the digicam's isn't. Proper documentation would warn me against this but I don't see it. Probably is a common problem with many devices.
1. To each their own colors.

2 Using alkaline and a foreign usb cable, yes I say you did something wrong.?

http://www.usbcable.com/shows some good pics for cables.

3. the IS-DV2 as I do not own, should not charge the batteries at all. the usb cable will bypass the 2.4-3.0vdc system and use the 5.0vdc usb cable power supply, run the camera, and when pulled out , back to the battery system

The Orginal IS-DV will have no usb battery bypass no wires at all for that just a read/write tansfer or info cable. possably the same may be said for the IS-DV2.

As Aiptek.com says its a usb2.0 cable nothing about its cablesource

Sounds more like you rushed a ood thin ,and may pay a visit back to your local store if ruined.

4. well, as this all seems like some tips

do not rush to get things done especially when a present.

Luckely shelded did not burn his house down .

Old Jul 24, 2006, 2:01 AM   #16

Well, of course RTFM, I deserve that. But the printed manual said nothing helpful though it did say to use only the vendor-supplied accessories. I was/am not sophisticated to know there's non-standard deviations from the USB standard (thanks for that link which explains that). Other BS contained in the packaging is that Windows ME is supported -- so I don't think I am exactly rushing things, I just don't know what to believe in the documentation. I've now printed the 34-page manual for this "straightforward" device. I will caution my spouse about the correct cable to use for this thing.

Camera is no worse for the heat; it was hotter than I could hold for more than a few seconds, that's over 130 degrees, but it didn't burn on contact so I suppose under 150 degrees. Similar temps to putting it on the dashboard of your car, which nobody has ever done to a camera, right.

I don't understand you regarding the running off the wire versus the battery. I checked the polarity of my batts installed, they were right and the only thing I have changed is the cable. My testing therefore indicates that with the right USB cable this will charge your batts. Or blow them up.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 2:37 AM   #17

Alkaline batteries are not chargable. If the IS-DV2 comes with alkaline batteries, it probably does not have a circuit in the camera to charge batteries.NiMH rechargable batteries may work, although they have 1.2 volts vs. 1.5 volts for alkalines. You will need a separate battery charger for them.
Old HACer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 2:49 AM   #18

[/i]
Quote:
my mustek i had to trick the win 98 to get the drivers up.
Quote:
I don't even know why I want to load it, there's no mention of it in the document so I don't know what it does for me, nor why it won't load.
Quote:

so if you can deal w/o the webcam, and and the removal of the sd card in/out all the time. that should do just fine?
Quote:
At this point this is fine, since I don't use webcam and plan to upgrade to XP eventually. BTW the device is recognized as an external USB device so as far as I am concerned I don't care about any other software -- I just scrape the files off to my hard drive and delete the camera copies.
Quote:
internal memory may only be 32 meg and 16 must be for the flash, read/write buffer, that leaves you with 16 meg of internal memory,.....
Quote:
Ah, yes, I forgot about that. Well this is marked 16MB and it's rather puny so I will put in an SD card.
Quote:
The 6 meg per still leaves you 3 pics yes it does, software interpolation is not needed, it all can be done on editing software not the camera still nice to think you're taking a 6 meg shot but its 3 meg dressed up.
Quote:
My noob status has not allowed me to make sense of this yet, it's probably covered a lot elsewhere, but I don't know why this package is marked 6MB when apparently it's only 3MB with some mathematical extrapolation to make it simply take a lot more data space. I think it's false advertsing.
Quote:
a external sd/mmc card is needed, and 1 meg is really needed no more, on a LI-on system rechargable same thing. 2 megs would be over kill, but if I were on a vacation, or had to use quite a bit of memory up, 2 meg today is reasonable @30-60.00 .
Quote:
Are you recommending I buy no more than a 1GB SD? Do we know what the upper limit is that this device will recognize, esp if it will take a 2GB?
Quote:
LAstly the pdf will have more info. but these hybrids are so simple to use not funny
Quote:
PDF appears to contain more data but nothing I really needed
Quote:
If you personally ask me I would return the camera, go out ,get Casio sexslim or capatable one they have 3x optical zoom, last 2 hrs. take atrue 6 meg shot and zoom while in record mode

I do not like to say that the IS-DV2 is a good or bad device but it's all hype and its a the simular model of a 3300-4500 not the is-dv.
Quote:
Not sure what to make of this advice (I'll check the Casio) but if this thing can take pictures of flowers and children I think it will be allowed to stay with us.
Quote:
Please review your camera and when you have that time we all would love to hear from you on it.
Quote:
I am working on it but as a noob I certainly won't rise to the level of critiqueyou are used to.
Quote:
again a big warm welcome
Quote:
Thanks for the welcome. I will begin exploring more of the forum here, it is rather large.
Quote:

... sorry about the formatting on this post, starting with a reply to another, it got worse as time went on.

Old Jul 24, 2006, 2:49 AM   #19

I stand correctedthank you OldJAcer

usb cable has a power support of 5vdc and may run your camera at that level or drop to 3.0vdc as the sd card needs up to 3vdc to be used.

the usv cable has a numer of wires

red for power

black for return or ground

green for read

blue for write

white for camera charge

colors oar examples not of actua color

the Orginal IS-DV did not have the white for charge therefure the camera ran off of the battery, not the pc usb port

Hope that cleared it up

batterries are alkaline use once tos in a recycle bin. rechargables must be recharged in a seperate unit . if the IS-DV2 states it can ve recharged then follow those instructions. no camera will be chaeged by the usb unless stated in the specs.

Old Jul 24, 2006, 2:50 AM   #20

(1) yes, fine, thanks.

(2) You realize I was not attempting to charge the batts? that the USB cable I used (from my MP3 player) apparently caused it? Circuit or not, it tried to charge them.