Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jul 15, 2006, 3:20 PM   #1

Here are some test images and videos from the Aiptek IS DV2 that I purchased at Target.

Photos:

http://www.pbase.com/rgv523/isdv2

Two sample videos:

http://media.putfile.com/IS-DV2-VIDEO1
http://media.putfile.com/ISDV2-VIDEO2

The battery life with the two AA's seems to be quite good so far though of course this is totally subjective and I haven't done any kind of scientific comparison.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2006, 4:00 PM   #2

RGV....

excellent :|

the pics looks good not great. there are somefor example the tree bark, it seems to be smooth then blurred. the green palm lookedvery nice but the water spot should have been clear , it was not. I understand pics can be decieving on the intranet.

The Vids show the same story when turning to a lighted area it adjusts, which it does just that. the Indoor shot is great, The outdoor shot is even better. shows clearity.

are the batterries Alkaline or rechargables? if the batterries last a good 3 hours it is an excellent camera if they are going to be under 2 hours then there's a lot of juice wasted rechargables is the key factor here. thee is another Post and you may want to answer Wolf he is looking for a camera. I believe this may be a great choice or decision to make. thank you for the view.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 4:20 PM   #3

The batteries I assume are alkaline and are the ones that came with it. I would have to do a continuous video shoot on a fresh set of batteries to see how long they last but 3 hours would seem to me a bit too much to hope for. I would be quite happy with 2 hours as that is plenty long enough for any conceivable video shoot and of course you have the advantage that you can just pop in fresh AA's from anywhere.

One advantage of a camera like this that uses AA's is that you have a wide choice, ie non rechargeables such as Alkaline or long lastingLithium and rechargeables such as NiCad or NiMH.

The camera itself looks pretty robust, especiallywith its non swiveling design. You just open it and it's ready to go.

I am wondering if the LED video light problem is more to do with the camera's sensor ability rather than the lighting itself as they seem to be as powerful as those on say the Canon Elura 100 yet when I turn those on with an obejct in front, it seems as though the whole image lights up whereas on this only the center does like a tunnel. Of course I haven't done any scientific tests and its all subjective at this point.

Old Jul 15, 2006, 5:00 PM   #4

when I had turned on my jvc the leds are bright they do the trick, they sit lower over 1 inch away from the lens. so pssabl they wil do its job. I may just go into a target oneday and purchase this for the hell of it, or wait till they drop the price?

as foraa. when I had gone away on my cruise my biggest concern was battery life, andsure as i needed it i hada charge , and not the correct polarity plug . All the outlets were upside down. and so close to the tablesI had to force the plug into the outlest , i finally did that, where I never needed to recharge my batterries as i gotten 6 hours of batterylife out of the camera. the Mustek dv3000

I turned on filmed, for my whole trip. andwhen on the plane i even watched my whole video. that was over 4 years ago.

Now one can understand batery life is Important and should be a long period, but once you go into ;

1.mp3

light for night

and other unwanted hings it lasts a lot less

you alkalines can be tossed, out and easily replaced which is what I preferre over Li-ons where one member did not have his charger, and later lost his camcorder andwas lucky a local store was kind enough to lenda helping hand

right AIJ................

Old Jul 15, 2006, 5:30 PM   #5

Here are two example image shots showing how the LED lamps light up the subject.To the naked eye,the area that appears to be lighted is much larger, but it seems that the sensor only picks up the brightest center portion.

I thought this might be enough to light up my sons face, but you end up getting a similar effect to when you use a flashlight to light up your face ie you just see his face partially lit as he moves around and nothing more. I don't expect the light to fill the entire room but at least it should pick up the more of the lighted subject area.

Old Jul 15, 2006, 7:49 PM   #6

time 9pm at its dark inside no lights on

Just could not help myself, and post up a led and night alive 640 res. I'll take it anytime. the killer is i am a good 15 feet away from the fridge maxed.

Old Jul 15, 2006, 8:10 PM   #7

I am happy with the video quality and love MPEG4 but I am not happy with the LED lighting. I don't think I am expecting too much as they are pretty bright and will put spots before y our eyes for a while if you point it at your eyes! I think it is probably due to the sensor technology on the Aiptek meaning it doesn't respond to the light very well. I am still thinking about returning it for a proper miniDV camcorder although I keep reading that the latest compact camcorders are not as good as they used to be in low either.

What it the model numberof JVC is it that you have again?
Old Jul 16, 2006, 6:08 AM   #8

jvc gr-d395u, if the zoom-dv6 comes out iwould still concider a canon or jvc.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 2:55 PM   #9

I ended up taking the IS-DV2 back to Target. While the video seemed good enough, I just wasn't completely happy with the device in total. In the end I prefer a device with a swivel screen so I can hold my camera at chest level. You can't do that with a fixed screen. I quite was dissapointed with the LED lights as they didn't even light the subject area properly when right on top of it! I never expect miracles in a cheap device but I would've thought they should at least work better than they did. I think the fault lies with the CMOS sensor as the LED's are very bright. It only seems to register the very brightest center portion which makes it useless and little more than a selling gimmick.

I was even prepared to put up with the disadvantage of the non swivelling screen for this, but with the LED lighting not being of any use, I decided to return the device instead as it then offers no advantage over other devices and it has a much smaller non swivelling screen.

It also did seem like there was a slight difference in video between the IS-DV and IS-DV2 that I couldn't quite put my finger on, like there was very slightly less detail when viewed fullscreen on the newer IS-DV2 but it is very subjective and I could be suffering the equivalent of the placebo effect in medicine where I am seeing things because I am expecting it or maybe the lower bitrate did make a difference after all.

I also noticed that if you closed it while a video was paused or playing it would freeze, meaing you would have to remove the batteries to reset it, but that was a minor inconvenience.

I didn't have the time or patience to do a more scientific test which is why I wish the major camera sites would review these items rather than ignore them, so we can have the benefit of their vast experience. I know these are not in the same league as a Canon for instance but at least we could compare them with other models of this type.

I willl leave the photo and video samples up for a while so that anyone else considering one of these can look at them,

I went back into the electronics department and sure enough the other IS-DV2 had been sold yet strangly the peg with these no longer had details of this model.

I am still deciding whether to get the Sanyo Xacti C40 as I have seen video from these devices and I still want a memory card device. Though more expensive, I have to say the video seems to be in a different league from the clips I have seen although the same caveats such as low light still apply. I also like the idea of a combined miniDV and MPEG4 recording device as in the Samsung but again the lack of reviews make me nervous as proper camcorders have a restocking fee if you return them.

It does seem though, that if you want the wave of the future such as MPEG4 and memory card recording that you have to look outside of the mainstream manufacturers and look at Aiptek, Samsung etc.
Old Jul 16, 2006, 3:57 PM   #10

RGVcam.

you may have made a correct choice.

I agree there should be a way to test these out, but I have 100% zero pull on this.

It's like you and I , go to target buy it , try it, return it, if get stuck , ebay it , or pass to a family member or friend.

1. the camera is a nice choice if you are just looking for something to fool around with. takes a good snap shot, but lacks the ability to record low light situations that are of evening hour , outdoor shots. has a long battery life , and good video quality, but comes up short for angle shooting. if you are looking for something real small to fit in your pocket and snap a quick shot , this is the camera for you, but if you are looking for something to replace your professional device and believe it will do the same it is not the camcorder for you at all. This camcorder can be tripoded ,placed in a glove box, tee shirt pocket, and catch anything on the go. just like a cellphone. it is just one step above and no more.

As reading the review and catching the vid and stills, it lacks the professional sharpness of a true digital camera, and shows a very good recording of Outdoors, it is a worth while camcorder for kids of all ages, but leave some serious thinking for an Adult.

As the led lighting is a failure will the Aiptek zoom-dv6 be one as well? will the optical 3x lens make up for the leds lets hope so.

for 119 excluding tax, and extras. it is best to say a casio exslim 3x optical would be a better buy for a few dollars more.