Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 5, 2006, 5:28 PM   #21

The DXG DVC-408 isgrey market (not distributed by maker) in the USA. There were 10 for sale on Ebay from a seller in Australia. Price was AUD$369.99 (276 USD) plus AUD $59.99 ($45 USD) for shippingand handling. None were sold.
Old HACer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 6:03 PM   #22

can get a 20-32xoptical for that price? or almost a 10x optical and dvd

camcorder "lol"
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2006, 10:51 PM   #23

This may be why DXG USA distributes the DXG-505V and not a US version of the DVC-408.:blah:

Old HACer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 9:47 AM   #24

Hey everyone. I'm also looking to get one of these. I love my dxg 305v i have, just it's been with me for nearly a year, and it's kind of getting tattered :P I was looking for something with a larger video so I saw this and I kind of wanted a movie player as well (I tweaked my 305v to play my videos using Arcsoft Media Converter (1?), if any of you need it just email me and i'll get you it). The problem is with the 305v is it only takes 512mb max.

Anywho, I'm used to video codec, i've done a lot of work with it. Is it really hard to get a good video on it without using medica converter for the 521 roadster?

Also, compared to the 305v, is it everything and more, becuase like i said for what I do, i love my 305v, i don't need a high end professional camera or camcorder, or mp3, i love just a little bit of everything.
SapAuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 1:52 PM   #25

dxg305v accepts a 1 gig card .
Old Dec 15, 2006, 4:34 PM   #26

I've squeezed a 2 gig Card in the Camera for 7 hours of Video recording time.

If it's able to help anyone anywere...
videoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 5:27 PM   #27

I just got my DXG 521 Roadster. I love the DXG product, i had a 305v which lasted pretty well (and i used it to put some cartoons nad stuff with arcsoft media converter). Here's my review of the Device.

Photo: The photo quality isn't horrid, the shutter lag is though. And the camera's shutter speed is a little under par, if it's not still you will get blur. I'm going to try to fix it by making asimple 3 leged stand with a vice grip on the top mounted on a pivot. It wil be easy to shoot and leave it still then since u have a second or to to get ur hand off the camera. Also i dont' know why everyone is dogging it for the low light quality. I am quiet satisfied with it's ability to shoot in low light situations, it's doing a heck of a lot better than the 305v did. Of course you can get better with a 150 digital camera in the stores, but this is an all in one, can't argue.

Video: Finaly 640x480. The image quality of the 320x240 was dodgy at best with the 305v. It is a little jerky in high motion, but I think it's more moving the camera or shaking it or something that seems to do it, i tried holding hte camera still and moving and the movement was fine. Might work best to keep it still. But it's not bad in my opinion.

MP3: Okay, this is disatisfactory. Even the 305v had the titles of the MP3 songs on there. I don't know why they didn't just include the simple programming to allow you to see your song title. In my opinion, having no title kind of rules the MP3 player out as usable, plus i've been having problems with mine screwing up songs, but i did rip them from a cd, it may be that instead.

Radio: This I love. It makes up for the MP3 player if you ask me, since i have my favorite radio station, and the quality is good. It uses hte headphones as an antenna, so you get good reception even in places like my work (which has an all metal ceiling and concrete all over, so usually radio doesn't get through that well), plus you can record from the radio, which is fun for when you hear your favorite song.

Photo Playback: It's a nice feature, i was able to throw on some pictures of the shoes i sell for selling on the go.

Video Playback: Also another awesome feature. I don't know why you guys are complaining about not being able to use it other than with arcsoft. The compression isn't that horrid on it. WIth AVI set at 320x240, 1 mb quality, and 96 kb sound, i was able to fit about 3 hours of video on the card, and up to 5 hours with it set to 500 kb quality. The screen is bright, battery lasts a little over 2 hours with screen on (I made it 4.5 hours with radio going only). Plus the batteries are cheap on ebay, 15$, so you can always get a replacement. Plus i finally figured out how to get my dvd's onto the camera using SUPER and arcsoft, and for those encrypted Fab Decrypter.

Games: Who doesn't like boxman or tetris? I think it was a nice bonus, lol, i find myself playing them.

Voice Recorder: Simple and works fine for me.

A/V IN: I love this feature. You can record from your devices with ease, great quality (better than my USB WinTV Device), great compression and quality. AND, if you get 3 analog Female to Female adapters (only a couple bucks at radio shack) you can hook up your DVD player, VCR, or even game system to the camera and use hte camera as a portable TV Screen. There is only about a quarter second delay in the video, so it makes playing games on it a tid bit weird, but not impossible. I say it's perfect for kids on the go, they can plug in their system to a simple cigarrette lighter to power plug in thingy, and then connect it to hte device and they can watch their movies or play their games without needing to buy those car TVs.

Card Size: A 2 gig card is all i really need. You can fit a ton of video, pictures, movies, etc on it.

Battery Life: Like i said, 2+ hours with screen is more than enough to watch movies on. With radio it lasted 4.5 hours, which is great for those long drives or such. The battery for me charges in about an hour or so, not long at all, and you can buy replacement batteries and chargers on ebay with ease.

Price: 150 bucks? I say even though it's a bit querky, it's worth it. There are other things out there like the Aiptek camera which is similar to this for about the same price. I haven't had much experience with it so i can't really tell if it's better or not. But that Aiptek camera is also very bulky, i love the small and lightweight size of the roadster.

All in all, i say its worth the 150 bucks. I can work past the bugs, only think i'm annoyed at is the MP3 thing, rest i can handle.

Okay, i've ranted enough :P
Old Dec 27, 2006, 6:06 PM   #28

Can you back up your reviewo with a video sample?

Old Dec 27, 2006, 8:29 PM   #29

I did some testing, and my bad, it isn't shaking hte camera. BUT, it worked smoothly till i went into a different room...it could be that the changing light causes the camera to start to go choppy as it tries to process the video and the correct light balance. What do you all think? There has to be a some sort of logic to this. I'm experimenting with quality and such as well, but no such luck with any variations. we need to get a group of people to really tear this camera apart and test things.
Old Dec 27, 2006, 10:32 PM   #30

once again can you Back up this with a video sample?