Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Jul 28, 2006, 1:41 AM   #1

I'm looking at this possible purchase, what do you guys think?

[*]Image Sensor 5M CMOS Sensor, Interpolated up to 11M Pixels
[/*][*]Operation Modes Digital Still Camera, Digital Video Camera, PC Camera, MP3 Player, Mass Storage Device, Video Player, Video Recorder, Special Function PMP (Portable Media Player)
[/*][*]Lens f=7.0 mm F3.0 / 5.6 (automatic switch)
[/*][*]Focus Range Normal: 165cm ~ Infinity; Portrait: 90cm ~ 178cm; Macro: centre 15cm
[/*][*]Digital Zoom 8X
[/*][*]Shutter Type Electronic Rolling Shutter
[/*][*]Shutter Speed Normal: 1/15 ~ 1/8000 sec
[/*][*]Night Mode: 1/8000 sec ~1.5 sec
[/*][*]LCD Monitor 2.5" Colour LTPS LCD
[/*][*]Storage Media Built-in 32MB Memory
[/*][*]SD/MMC Card Slot Support, can be expanded up to 1GB
[/*][*]Image Resolution: 3856*2892 interpolation, 2976*2322, 2048*1536, 1024*768
[/*][*]Movie Resolution 640*480 (1.8Mbps), 640*480 (1Mbps), 320*240 (500Kbps)
[/*][*]White Balance Auto / Daylight / Tungsten / Fluorescence
[/*][*]Exposure Auto / Manual
[/*][*]Self-Timer 10 second delay
[/*][*]Flash Auto / Off
[/*][*]Image Play Single Image / Thumbnails / Slideshow
[/*][*]File Format Picture: JPEG; Movie: MPEG-4(ASF); Voice: WAV
[/*][*]PC Interface Mini USB 2.0 Port
[/*][*]TV In YES
[/*][*]TV Out YES (TV: NTSC/PAL; Audio: Stereo)
[/*][*]Battery NP 60 Rechargeable Li-ion Battery
[/*][*]Dimension 109*70*32 mm
[/*][*]OSD Language Support English/ French/ German/ Spanish/ Thai/ Portuguese/ Japanese/ Chinese-Simplified/ Chinese-Traditional/ Korean
[/*][*]Weight About 150 g (without battery[/*]
thecatjinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2006, 11:16 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum,

This sounds like a typical Digilife/Mustek/Aiptek hybrid. Whether it's a good deal depends on the price.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 12:03 AM   #3

Hi, Seems to be this one:

http://br.tradeholding.com/default.c...M_Pixel_32_MB/I advise against CMOS, prefer CCD, best experiences with this one:

http://www.yakumo.de/produkte/index....;artnr=1039283,which, contrary to documentation, supports 1-GB SD's. Regards from Vienna, Austria

PS What the Yakumo - which comes under other brand names too of course - does not feature is a TV-in, which I don't think yields acceptable quality though. (Would one really consider using it as a video recorder? Battery!)

Leopold Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2006, 3:00 PM   #4

Thanks for the info guys, SG where in BC are you from? I''m from Burnaby, but am currently serving overseas in Afghanistan and looking at a camcorder for this crazy place.

This is the model I'm looking at now http://www.chinavasion.com/product_i...p4-25inch-lcd/

Just wondering if there is another place online that sells this and ships to Afghanistan FedEx box as there isn't an option for Afghanistan on this website.

thx

Old Jul 30, 2006, 3:23 PM   #5

thecatjinxWelcome aboard.

Your Find is an excellent 3x optical 10x digital zoom........

check out the Aiptek uk site http://www.aiptek.com.tw/english/product/products.htm

see below

Basicaly this will be more compact and can be placed away w/o bulk. everything simular but file saves in asf only your choice you shown saves in 3 formats andexcellent again.

Just thought I throw that in . not pushing the camera Ifi were fit for space on me that is my choice if i do not care bout bulk which looks like it is the Ispan ddv 520/530 simular model.

let sgspirit sign back on and answer for you . thanks for listening.

PocketDV Z100 Pro

Vivid Memory in Your Life.

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 12:27 PM   #6

Hi thecatjinx,

Would it be safe to assume you're with the Canadian military in Afghanistan? No need to respond to that since it starts to get into sensitive stuff.

From the cameras I've recently had, I wouldn't be in a hurry to say that any ccd sensor is better than any cmos sensor. That distinction has become blurred, pardon the expression.

I think the idea is to just get one of these cameras, and see what you like and dislike about it, then make plans to get one that meets your needs better. They're such an odd product that no one can really say how any given model will work out for any given person. Probably their multi-functional characteristics makes them harder to determine if it will meet your needs, than a single-function device.

Fortunately they're relatively cheap, so replacing them isn't a big deal. I have heard of US military personnel using them in Iraq.

Can't give any advice on shipping. I have enough hassles getting them to myself here in Vancouver. I work in Bby.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 12:39 PM   #7

As SG brought it Up and if its true. We solute you.

1. digital zoom will be the worst to use and for some reason its improving apon the newer cameras coming out, and if you use 1/2 the digitl zoom you will get a decent shot. Aiptek has created Smart Zoom. in my eyes i believe its 8x digital and force stop at 4x.

2 size most hybrids Fit in the Pockets. as the one you showed may not?

3. Price a pro camcorder has come down in price and can fit in a pants pocket, they rnngee from 200 plus to 300 plus usc canon and Jvc are economy ones they do just fine

Locate the jvc review of Jvc 395U 32x optical zoom 3 hour batt life.

4. shipping can be free to never recieving.

decide like SG says what suits your needs. and determine if one is for you?

If you plan on listening to a mp3 song al day like those 1aaa battery ones :G

where's the laughing Icon

New York saying. "forgetaboutit" all the hybrids go under 2 hour life time on Li-on charging

and you may want to lok for a AA,AAA system if that one was . all others will require a converter or adapter good luck. on your Choice

As for posting stuff of vid and pcs check out the site and see what others post................
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 1:01 PM   #8

My connection here isn't too great when it comes to speed cause of the military network there are lots of sights that won't show cause of the way the page is designed. Would you have some models to suggest that would use AA or AAA as Ididn't consider power out here and it would be better to be able to use standard batteries. I'm not too concerned about optical zoom asI've never used the zoom on mydigital camera that often. The only reason why I'm not really considering a mini dv camcorder is mainly environmental issues here. It's rediculous the amount of dust here and the windy season isn't here yet (120 days of dust storms coming up). I've seen cameras here jam up cause of the dust henceI'm looking for something that doesn't really have any moving parts. If you have any suggestions for one that has very good video capture and perhaps an ability to video at night that would be good. Webcam on it would be nice but not necessary and it doesn't have to have video in or out either.

Thanks

Old Jul 31, 2006, 1:21 PM   #9

The Digilife DDV-C330 (aka DDV-750), is a rare recent hybrid that uses AA batteries. There are a few others, and this is specified in the Hybrid List topic. There are lots of C330's on eBay.

Bewarned that these hybrids are useless for video in dim light, and not a whole lot better taking stills. You need fancy/expensive gear for that sort of conditions.

I think these hybrids would handle dust very well. As you say, anything with moving parts, such as a dvd drive, extending lens or tape drive would just jam.