Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 23, 2006, 5:15 PM   #11

Yes, unwanted links can invitestrange things to appear:homey:...DOH!
jpjamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 3:28 PM   #12

Well, jpjamie, these connectors you are showing are to large and they accomidate a circuit with "golden fingers" orcopper contacts on each side of the circuit board. Ok, here is close-ups of the male & female connector. Just so you know there is 36 connections total, 18 connectors per side. That's why I said two sets18 wires on the masking tape. The male connector is on the back of the circuit board that contains the CMOS camera. The reason forthe multi-connection male & female connector is AIPTEK put added functionality to the CMOS element. To keep that functionality intact you must have all wires connected between male & female connectors. I could take the time to isolate where video signals are and make it have less connections, but certain signals that help with light and focus functions would be left out. I would have to get a schematic so I would know what signals are at what test point (T). That is what those round copper circles are (ex: T29, T30, etc.). I have pictures everywhere, he he he, I lost my picture of the CMOS camera that is on the other side of the circuit board where the male connector is.

Male Connector

Male Connector Other Side

Female Connector

You find these babies!! Let me know as soon as you can. :shock:
StarNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 4:53 PM   #13

I kinda thought they might be too large. Excellent macro images of the plug... and thanks! I will search around for (smaller)18 pinconnectors. I was wondering why we needed so many of the wires and you supplied those answers.

Thanks for covering all the bases. Wondering also if any ribbon cable from an old PC would work? But youmore than likelythought of that and there is probablynot enough or too many wires.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 8:46 PM   #14

Just so you know, they are 36 pin connectors, 18 per side.The wire gauge of a ribbon cable that is used on a PC is much to large. You will need very fine digital wire. If I find wire small enough, I will let you know where to get it. If you or anyone wants to contact me live on Windows Messenger just look for the alias "jackstawle". I'm online sometimes in the afternoon or evening. Especially contact me if these connectors are found:crazy:!!! When I am done I will have made a $89 camcorder into something cool.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 11:54 AM   #15

I found EPN site: http://www.epn-online.com/page/18061...onnectors.html#

The connector seems to be an SMT micro pitch board-to-board connectorused in small portable equipment such as notebooks or pagers, which might fit our sizing. Thehaveadequate pin counts. Theaddress above has an image ofthe connectors. If you click on theimageyou get apopup larger image.

Irealize there are a huge amount of variables in getting this connector to fit, one of them beingwhat is referred to as pitch.

Attached Images

Old Oct 4, 2006, 7:51 AM   #16

I know I haven't posted anything for a while, but I have been real busy making a living. I think I found a place to get the connectors and will wire up the CMOS camera as soon as I am able. I need to make some phone calls today to track down the exact connector I need. Just sending emails to these budinesses doesn't do jack. I am starting to think some of these companies are just window dressing. It is extremely difficult for some reason to get these companies to get back with me. I will keep trying. I have worked on a little video for YouTube. I want to make sure it is right before I upload anything. Later....
Old Dec 12, 2006, 9:49 AM   #17

After fully looking at the pictures:

My screen is loose and a decision not to take apart my hybrid, may invest in a newer version, but not Aiptek at the moment, bouncing back and fourth on the PVr sale it is wise to keep using it the way it is.

looking at a few pics i rather keep my stickers in place, but I noticed two screws that only hold the screens in place and tried that, no luck. wha next?

was it easy to takeapart, I ound the Mustek not hardbut super careful o nthose plastic joining tabs?

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 4:47 AM   #18

It is very nerve racking to take apart a perfectly good camera for the first time. First, you have to decide if there is good reason to do so. Are you going to do something to make it better, make it different. Things like that. It was not hard at all for me to completely disassemble this camcorder. You can't be squemish taking the plastic pieces off the camcorder. It is only attached with double sided adhesive tape. Just make sure you pry off carefully and slowly. You can get some double sided tape from Scotch or 3M to put the pieces back on. Under these pieces are the screws that hold the camcorder together. In the LCD screen is a magnet, that I removed, this prevents the camcorder from shutting off when you close the screen. Seeing that there is 36 wires that need to be ran between the CMOS circuit and the camcorder mainboard, I decided I will just plug a SONY superHAD micro camera to the A/V input and use the built in microphone of the AIPTEK camcorder for the audio. One thing is I wish it was stereo, but for such a cheap price that is probably asking to much. Man! I hate not having anough time doing something I love. If I could only win the lottery. If you do open up your camcorder, let me know and anything specific I can help with. Just keep having fun.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 6:22 AM   #19

Starnormad I did open and there is a thread , a video from the start to the beginning

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=92

and the swival screws were lose and got it all finished, ig I did not mention or did. I may or may not have readclearly your instructions, and missed those screws, I went back and got it done

[line]

PVR is the sterio one was on sale lastweek 99 bucks lowestprice bought 89 bucks
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2009, 9:39 PM   #20

Hello all, I know this is a REALLY old thread, but what happened from where it left off?... lol

I have the HD Aiptek which looks the exact same as this one, but hd. I bought it at walmart on clearence for $135. My only use with this camera is for a helmet cam. I have been thinking about removing the camera part of it and makinf an enclosure for them camera using it as a helmet cam. I havent takent he camera apart yet, but it probably would have the same 36 connections as the original mpvr. I was thinking about using the old printer connectors and cable. The connector has 37 pins, but havent cut a wire open to actually see if there is 37 wires inside.

My other thought was to purchase a used aiptek non-hd for cheap on ebay(already did and waiting for shipment) and take the camera apart and stuff it in a waterproof case with buttons and a screen on the waterproof case. But seeing these pictures of the aiptek opened up, i am not gonna gain much extra space by taking it apart. I also ordered weatherproof connectors for the connection between the waterproof box and my sony helmet cam. My main goal is to make a compact as possible helmet camera unit that is waterproof. Between Jetskiing, snowboarding, atving and motorcycling, it should be well protected.

Troy
Mustangous is offline   Reply With Quote