Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 2, 2006, 2:03 PM   #11

Yes the Aiptek PVR is the same as the 8800 as far as I can tell which of course has the 5MP sensor.

I checked the firmware and it is 3104 which seems way higher than the MPVR versions I have seen listed here unless you can correct me on that.

It's still $199 on the aiptek site so I feel it was a good buy. So far I am liking it more than the IS-DV2 mainly for the fact it has a large swivelling LCD which makes a big difference.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 3:25 PM   #12

that screen is Sweet / eeasy to see sunights well better than the IS-DV2 for sure no holdinghigh or low ortrying to cover your hand over the scren.

Just it does not shut off while in record or standby.

Firmware you are the ONE! others never posted so far what they have?

3104 sounds like it's the second edition over the first. taking a wild card guess

If oversea members can confirm it or A phone cal asking for an upgrade cn confirm as well.

One last thing the mini cover that snaps on to cover the usb etc be careful its glued to the rubber band will lose part if not careful.

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 3:55 PM   #13

Now here's the thing that I wish others would confirm.

I took some video of a friend and his first response was that the video and lips are not in sync. I did notice that myself a little bit but it's odd because I in watching the video tests closely several times, it appears the words coming out the mouth do match up even though it still has the slight feeling of watching a dubbed movie.

If you don't watch the lips too closely then it's acceptable but once you see the effect it's a little annoying. It's kinda of like the dead pixels you may get in a camera photo. If you didn't notice it, the image is fine, but once you do, you can't stop noticing it, if you get my meaning.

The strange thing is that it is not as bad in some videos as others. ie in the one of my year old son babbling, it really does look like he was dubbed while on others the sync seems quite acceptable. I wonder why this is?

I am wondering if there is a slight fraction of a second delay due to the way the MPEG movie is being encoded which while not enough to put the audio out of sync, but still enough for the Brain to notice in certain situations?

It's only when you know of this and start looking for it that you become aware of it, and to be honest I may be making more of it than there is.

Do all MPEG4 devices have this problem or is this unique to the Aipteks? Has anyone noticed this on other devices such as digital cameras that record to MPEG4 such as the Samung or Casio etc.

The photos it takes aren't too bad though. I will put some up when I get the chance!

I really like this camera but am going to do some more tests. If the voice sync is worse than I think it is I will have to return it which will be a shame as I like this camera a lot more than I did the IS-DV2.

Considering the firmware number of my device, I am thinking it isn't going to be fixed by firmware and may just be a problem with the chipset itself.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 7:15 PM   #14

Do all hybrids make that annoying camera sound? I can understand why they do it on a cameraphone but it's just annoying on these devices and irrelavent. The device is not that is not that inconspicuous and after all I could just as easily take a video silently!
Old Aug 2, 2006, 7:19 PM   #15

go to settings and just place beep to off.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 8:31 PM   #16

Thanks fishycomics! It just never occurred to me that beep meant camera sound off! Finally I can take photos in silence LOL

I have put up a simple shot of a palm leaf again using the 5MP native resolution of the camera. When I get time, I hope to add some more.

I prefer pbase.com to places such as putfile.com as you can see the photo in it's full 5MP orginal size glory:

http://www.pbase.com/rgv523/image/64514744/original
Old Aug 3, 2006, 3:48 AM   #17

RGV. never knew that site existed nice find

1It is great to se the pic in full

2, and bestto see its full size as a pic.

What wood be nice , not a pro, but some water on the palm that can show its pure picture taking

to me I see grain on the pic and that may be due to one color alll together

otherwise i am not complaining an excellent pic.

you learn new stuff everyday

remember to keep the flash off by left mouse movement

anda tip I learned just not long ago. you can zoo in on playback and hit the mouse that allows you o mve around the pic.

oops ment JOYSTICK
Old Aug 3, 2006, 10:01 PM   #18

So far I am liking the PVR although that battery cover concerns me. Having one little tab holding it all on, really is an idiotic design for which there is no excuse. They should've designed it like the original IS-DV but I guess it was a friday afternoon and the designers were anxious to go home.

Also still not sure if the voice sync is real or imagined.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 3:53 AM   #19

RGVcam

read the firmware section

pychobj2001
Pm this person

he or she Claimes issues.
Old Aug 4, 2006, 3:31 PM   #20

Well I phoned Aiptek's support since I wasn't getting any replies from their email and had an interesting conversation.

The guy basically said the PVR is *not* actually the 8800 even though it seems to have exactly the same specs. It has more in common with the MPVR even though it has different firmware. I am not entirely convinced of what he said but still who am I to argue with a companies own products right?

I told him of the lip sync problem and asked if there was a firmware later than 3104 but he said they haven't got anything later form Taiwan yet and and of course you can't use the firmware from the MPVR because the hardware is a little different. He said something about they created separate firmware for the PVR from scratch rather than use the MPVR one directly. I guess this explains the much higher number.

I asked him about the Zoom dv6 just out of interest and he did say they are going to sell it soon but couldn't say when as they are still trying to get the bugs out of it and guess what? Yes one of the bugs is the audio sync! Seems they are always having trouble with this I guess.

I also said the battery cover was a bad design and said the IS-DV was better to which he added that the IS-DV had two tabs as well, so obviously he could see this point of view LOL