Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 1, 2006, 3:04 PM   #1

I noticed that Bestbuy have a new black MPVR labelled PVR. The only difference is that the PVR is black which looks cool and is 8 mp (Interpolated of course). So I am assuming its the 8mp version of the MPVR I have seen on foreign sites.

Anyone have this one and can tell me if it has the voice sync issues as I think I might get this one. It's the same price as the Regular MPVR.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2006, 3:39 PM   #2

it the dv8800 located in the english site of Uk there is a member having one here you'll need to hunt him or her down. in the MPVr iste they are vrery expensive for 2m eg more with colour Ll:G
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 4:06 PM   #3

fishycomics, could you clarify that last sentence as I couldn't quite understand what you were saying
Old Aug 1, 2006, 5:35 PM   #4

the dv8800 is overseas and tawain, germany, england etc.

overseas get first pick, Usa last the MPVR is the dv6800, the updated and higher meg is the 8800 and is offered in 3 colors. the MPVR can be software writen to 12 megs if you know how to do so?

the camera can run up to 200.00 and is attempting to purchase red is for the ladies , while Black is for the men

I preferre just to keep on trucking.................

did that help a lil?

I have a private mesage I'll post up if found. 2 pages and forgot which one lol

A prsonal not the MPVr can be minipulated to 12 megapixals if know how to write elf files.. that said its just worth leaving alone and purchasing the 6 meg and decide if 2 meg's worth 50 -110 smackers more?

Rgvcam you got a budget and that my friend I feal for you. hope that cleas up a lil. WATER!................
Old Aug 1, 2006, 6:13 PM   #5

But I already said they have it for the same price ie $149! If it was $200 I would totally agree with you as it's not worth $200 just for extra MP especially as I will mainly use it for a video camera. At the same price, it makes much better sense to buy this one over the MPVR right? I just hope they don't have the audio/sync issues that the regular MPVR has. It would be annoying if they haven't fixed it by now.

I have no interest in interpolated resolution which to me is a false resolution, but what I am interested in, is that the Black PVR/8800 has a 5MP sensor against the 3MP sensor on the original MPVR.For the same price, this makes it a better value.
Old Aug 1, 2006, 6:37 PM   #6

I overlooked that. thanks for pointing it out.

3 cmos 3 ccd 5 cmos 5 ccd I see no difference. I may have noticed this when I started out the dv3000 mustek and improved up a step.

3 would be the most I'll ever use.

too much hype 16 mega pixal at 8 ccd would be just hey I wantt hat

when you decide whats best let us know.

Old Aug 1, 2006, 11:19 PM   #7

Well I went ahead and bought one! As my wife says, it looks much more expensive in black that it does in silver LOL Basically this cost me just $30 more than the IS-DV2 I took back to Target. yet has a much larger swivelling screen, can input video from a VCR etc (though I doubt I will use that feature) and has a 5MP sensor as opposed to a 3MP one.

It feels very nice in the hand although I have to say ergonomically I felt my original IS-DV was the best out of the Aipteks I have owned so far but for the price I can deal with it.

My only complaint so far is the Battery lid. It only seems to be held on by one little catch. What was Aiptek thinking?
Old Aug 2, 2006, 3:45 AM   #8

aiptek sells new ones at 5,00 per pop you should have known that with the Is-v which may have has 1 ,t he same as well.

RGVCAN

Congrad's

do some shopping on Ebay if you are serious in keeping this camera batteries LI-ON nokia 8200 are replacements

and when clearenced 7.00

bay ` prnny shipping whatever the seller charges

2 bateries and a charger will be the best deal

1 hour 1/2 at start to be exact 148 min

later on 1 hour plus 6months of constant use I have 3 batteries always carry a spare.
Old Aug 2, 2006, 9:39 AM   #9

Some quick first impressions.

The record and photo buttons are in the wrong place and should've been lower in my opinion. They seem to have been placed as if the flash didn't exist in front. What I mean by this is that they are only comfortable if you hold it in such a way that the finger next to your thumb is covering the flash. My wife commented that if it is awkward for me with my larger hands then it would be worse for her and it is slightly. When recording video, it doesn't matter as much since you don't need the flash but with photos I have noticed that if you are not careful you can get a reddish tinge at the bottom of the photo where the flash bounces of your finger due to it being too close.

Quite why they didn't just extend the SD card out to the bottom is beyong me as you have to keep removing the battery cover to remove the card which means more wear on the already flimsy tab. Both the IS-DV models do this. In the case of the IS-DV2 I can understand as it's a new model, but I wonder if the original IS-DV was designed before or after the Aiptek. If after, then I guess they realised this as well. If before then there really is no excuse for them.

The audio sync seems to be ok as far as I have tested. I mean it's odd in that when you first look at the video it does look like they are a bit off sync, but I am thinking it's psychological as I did some tests with some words and the audio does seem to match up with what is spoken or at least it doesn't go out out sync even if does look a little bit like a chinese movie!

I wondered why the odd position of the microphone at the rear of the unit until I noticed that my finger naturally seems to rest on the front near the lens where they might otherwise have placed the microphone!

I'll post more observations as I find them.

This is the make or break model for me in that if I return it then my affair with hybrids will be over and it'll be a miniDV camcorder from here on out.

The reason I want a hybrid is that messing around with a miniDV is too much trouble just for short video clips to send to friends and relatives while miniDVD are still quite expensive and have their own shortcomings.

Old Aug 2, 2006, 1:25 PM   #10

RGV........

1. MPVr is hte same as 8800? the rear rec and photo buttons are spaced the same level as the flash? correct?

if you hold the camer in your palm thumb rear on buttons, 2,3,4th fingers on top. 2nd finger just to side of mic and pinky between the remote sensor and flash or 4all 4 on top right side and left hand hovering lcd. will give a nice grip.

Left handed will grab all the lcd and the right hand on the rec buttons almost same grip.

there is real no perfect hold for large handers. (lol):G

2 sd card and batt cover.

the sd card can be placed in without a full insert of the camera that isnice , cover still closes. again 5.00 to Aiptek to get you to get extra batt covers.

If they were smarter they could have made a sd insert on the cover and had it as a lid slide down and then fold in a 90 degree

Hey If i design that i get credit?

Like I mentioned I did and made so many short clips batt in/out sd in/out still got my cover working fine.

3. aud synch. not a headache. Aiptek is not the best company nor the worst , but well maybe complaining to them (not you) our other members instead of, Pmi These issues not addressed to Aiptek go forgotton. Recieving firmware will not fix the one's on the market , when Purchasing one and finding steves forum and askingfor the File.

if one has a complaint a phone call is needed and a letter writen.

4. If all fails on your part as not liking a Hybrid. at least you gave it a try?

All these Comments sounds great. keep posting. your tests.