Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 7, 2006, 12:06 AM   #1

Never mind I just saw the other thread : P !!!

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=92

I'm new here, sorry if this is not the place to put this but...

Has any one seen the packaging for the 'Aiptek DV8800'?

I was at Best Buy today to see if they had the MPVR on display so I can get a chance to play with it. It wasn't on display but they had the package and right next to it was something called the 'Aiptek PVR', they were both the same price $149.99!!! The PVR was black like the 'Pocket DV8800'. I put the packages side by side, it had the same specs as the MPVR for video resolutions and recording times but was 5MP with higher still resolutions and the one thing I noticed was missing was that it didn't say if it had 512MB DDR, it only mentioned having internal flash (I think it said 16MB). I was so tempted to buy it, but I never heard of it and even now I don't see it any where on the web, the closest one seems to be the 'Pocket DV8800', except for that it didn't say if it had 512MB DDR or not like the MPVR package did. I thought it might have been an older model to the MPVR, that maybe traded the 512MB DDR for a higher res CMOS, I was concerned for the performance of it, I figured it was the same price and it was some kind of trade off some where that I was missing or that it was a pricing error. Does that sounds like the DV8800 or is there another one that is hard to find on the web?

Briareos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2006, 3:50 AM   #2

wlcome to the site

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"you basically answered your own questions

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"rgvcam will answer this for you when he gets online

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000" theres not just an 8 megg out there there;s a 12 meg out there :G
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2006, 12:19 PM   #3

Briareos wrote:
Quote:
Never mind I just saw the other thread : P !!!

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=92

I'm new here, sorry if this is not the place to put this but...

Has any one seen the packaging for the 'Aiptek DV8800'?

I was at Best Buy today to see if they had the MPVR on display so I can get a chance to play with it. It wasn't on display but they had the package and right next to it was something called the 'Aiptek PVR', they were both the same price $149.99!!! The PVR was black like the 'Pocket DV8800'. I put the packages side by side, it had the same specs as the MPVR for video resolutions and recording times but was 5MP with higher still resolutions and the one thing I noticed was missing was that it didn't say if it had 512MB DDR, it only mentioned having internal flash (I think it said 16MB). I was so tempted to buy it, but I never heard of it and even now I don't see it any where on the web, the closest one seems to be the 'Pocket DV8800', except for that it didn't say if it had 512MB DDR or not like the MPVR package did. I thought it might have been an older model to the MPVR, that maybe traded the 512MB DDR for a higher res CMOS, I was concerned for the performance of it, I figured it was the same price and it was some kind of trade off some where that I was missing or that it was a pricing error. Does that sounds like the DV8800 or is there another one that is hard to find on the web?
The manuals for the PVR and the MPVR look exactly the same ie they make no reference to the actual model designation. The manual merely lists in the specifications for both models in a combined format ie only noting where there are differences such as the 5MP sensor and the slightly 'faster' lens ie F2.8 instead of F3.0. Also you cannot select a 1MP resolution in the PVR version, you choose from 3M/5M/8M instead of 1M/3M/6M in the case of the MPVR.

Since the rest of the specs are listed in one column and are therefore the same, I have no reason to doubt that the PVR has the same internal 512MB DDR RAM as the MPVR. So for the same price it made sense to go for the 5MP version and the photos seem quite good for a CMOS 5MP camera. A little noisy but really not bad for a cheap CMOS camera and it's not really noticeable for most purposes.

If you look at the 'Black PVR' threadI started, you will see a link to a fullsize 5MP photo I took with it when I got it. Not very exciting but it will give you an idea as to the level of detail it will produce. I only ever use the native sensor resolution as I don't believe in taking interpolated shots as originals.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote