Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 16, 2006, 4:38 PM   #1

I am looking into ordering another SD card or two and was wondering, does the speed rating of the card make any difference with these devices or is the hardware not able to take advantage of fast cards and just works at the lowest common denominator? The reason I say, is that if it doesn't then I may as well stick with buying the cheapest and not waste money on higher speed cards.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2006, 9:07 AM   #2

I'm guessing then that it doesn't? :-)
Old Aug 18, 2006, 5:24 PM   #3

The card speed can make a difference, but not in all cases. It depends on the camera (some have a faster write cpapbility than others). It may also depend on if you are using burst mode or not. You may get along just fine with a "standard" slow card if you only take single shots, but if you try to do some shots in burst mode, you may find out that the write process takes a little longer. I rarely, if ever, use burst mode, so I get along just fine with average speed cards.
propwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2006, 6:15 PM   #4

I was thinking mainly with the video but as there are only two settings, I am assuming that it wouldn't make any difference as they would have optomized the bitrate to work with the slowest cards. Otherwise they would say to use only fast cards I am assuming. This seems to be one advantage of MPEG4 over the usual MJPEG in that you can use slow cards as the bitrate is not too high.