Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 7, 2006, 7:56 PM   #71

Outside Daytime with the Small Wonder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgTwrYO_4kU

Outside Daytime with the Aiptek DV-Zoom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhfyfdyWlJ0

I'm not entirely sure they are working yet.
Moorqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 10:19 PM   #72

Oh, that explains what that thing that I saw at Target was. it was the "Pure digital" version of the camera which got a good write up in the Wall St. Journal. Here is a link...
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B000FD8MJS

I think that there is a rebate, but if it sold for $69 I'd buy one.
brachiopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2006, 10:42 PM   #73

Those youtube videos seem to take forever before they are working. It's nearly 3 hours since your post. The first one just had just started working and the second one still isn't working.

"If you have recently uploaded this video, you may need to wait a few minutes for the video to process.".:roll:
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2006, 3:59 AM   #74

the videos work when posting place a time when posted and say it will beavailable in 15 min's or just read when heposted and realize it takes time.

the smallwonde and zoom are bad if its youtube blurring the trees and other spots itsure makes all my other cameras bett than yours sorry. but lets try to do a direct download at bestsharing.com
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2006, 9:04 AM   #75

Yeah. if those are the original quality then the video is really poor, but I've seen some samples that look better so I think that maybe yourtube is resampling them?

Interesting things... there are at least 6 versions of that camera. Some were "single use" for CVS drug stores, and people figured out how to hack most of them to open them up. They filmed at 352x240

The RCA small wonder version has 256MB RAM and uses a lower video quality than the Pure digital versionat Target that has 512MB and films at 640x480. People are saying that the Pure digital version is actually pretty good. At least one version that was reviewed by CNet has an optical zoom, not digital, just one step (they complain about the click noise when the zoom lens is switched in).

Of course, this isn't a "hybrid" but it is in the same price range.

And here is a review from PC mag of the good version that shows some video; probably resampled again though

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1962307,00.asp
Old Sep 8, 2006, 11:29 AM   #76

I'm pretty sure the Small Wonder and the Pure Digital have exactly the same specs,, although it's hard to say since they really don't specify too much. I actually own the Pure Digital model but I just mentioned the Small wonder model because it seems most people are more familiar and trusting of a name like RCA and on the surface they look exactly the same except the Small Wonder is silver. And other reviews have mentioned the Small Wonder being VGA/30fps as well. And none of them have optical zoom. On my PC the videos look nothing like YouTube, although my PureDigital did have a big fingerprint smudge on the lens which I realized after I took it. They're both pretty clear on the PC and pretty hard to distinguish. All I wanted was a nice little pocket camcorder that I could record little events with, but it just so happens that a lot of these events happen to be in my living room at night with just the light from a 61" TV and a 75 watt bulb lamp. The Pure Digital model is the only one that looks decent so far that I have found. My Xacti C6 is ok but a little blurry, the Aiptek DV Zoom is nearly pitch black and my newest purchase; the Nokia N93 is pretty dark too. And that cost $725.
Moorqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2006, 11:59 AM   #77

Yeah, I don't have either one of them, but on consumerreports.org they say...

"Both models can capture roughly 30 minutes of video and sound, depending on how much movement or image detail is in front of the lens. (The RCA comes with 256 megabytes of memory and the Pure Digital 512.)

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/e...05_comp_ov.htm

So if they both film 30 minutes the RCA version must use higher compression.

I read about the "2x optical zoom" here...

http://review.zdnet.com/RCA_Small_Wo...-31870926.html

where they say...

"...your finished video includes an audible clicking sound whenever you press the button to zoom in or out (it's a 2X optical zoom)."

They are wrong of course, as ZDNET usually is. I suspect that both cameras have 512MB too,; why have two different versions.

Old Sep 8, 2006, 12:47 PM   #78

as the topic is juping Off plese ifwe are goingto tal kabout this lets open up one that is just for this as it will bring new vomers in. I do not mind at all as we are comparing against the aiptek zoom-dv

1 it is great to own any type of hybrid if it takes a video only but as Pc mag mentions aviewfinder I think he should have said a lens he poited incorrectly. he hld back on information which he should have not.

he zooms on a street and yesquickly stops it. wonder why?

If I had thechance i would grab one for 30.00 yes and see if it has a sd card inside lol but it will be chipped in there I bet? I preferre my hybrid in a way b/c is slimmer and smaller in ways? but again an excellent camcorder. and they cater to just that and that may be a reason for a crisper andclearer low light shot as well more to the feature than a ton of features.
Old Sep 9, 2006, 4:30 PM   #79

Frizzen here, I just posted some pictures of the Moon I took last week on

"Other Phots" section. Youi might want to see them. I used my Aiptek

DV 8800 looking thru the evepiee of my 80 mm telescope. Also took video,

which came out GREAT!!. Sorry about posting my E-Mail, I just didn't

know how to do it. I am new to all of this. I willl be more careful in the future.

Enjoy reading about the new 3 X zoom. Frizzen
frizzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2006, 5:07 PM   #80

frizzen 4 your protection.

the Moon was full and yes its a excellent time to shhot some footage. but the Dv8800 failed my test big time. my camcorder was unbelievably awesome