Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 20, 2006, 4:03 PM   #1

Latest Walgreens ad in the Sunday paper has a 3x optical zoom Aiptek advertised for 179. If anyone wants, I could scan the ad.

Update: Here is a link to a scan of the ad.

http://dcexp.com/albums/linked/wal1.jpg
brachiopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2006, 5:29 PM   #2

excellent find, but hate to say it on the east coast it's a web special only free ship, and 179.00 so tempted to order one. called the store put on hold Lol

as I red their advertisement, and Amazon

3 meg interpolated to 8 megs hmmm the zoom-dv6 is a 6 megapixal not 8 so would it be called zoom-dv8/

sounds FISHY
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 9:10 PM   #3

I agree, although it may be yet another variant as the one on walgreens is black while the one on amazon.com is silver. This suggests that this may be the zoom version of the PVR/8800 and they may just have the true sensor size wrong. I would hope so, as cutting it down to 3MP while still interpolating to 8MP would be a big cheat by Aiptek. Of course they could just have mixed up the specs of the Zoom DV6 with the DV 8800.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 3:45 AM   #4

the zoom dv6is dark grey same color as the is-dv2 not silver all the way but of two tone
Old Aug 22, 2006, 9:09 AM   #5

I might add that I suspect that since this will be Aipteks first attempt at an auto-focus camera, that I think that it will be VERY slow to focus and be VERY contrast (light) dependent. Think back to the first digital cameras and how slow they were; it has taken years of tweaking and new chipsets to make that faster. Unless they are buying a lens assembly and chipset from someone else. The fact that Aiptek continues to advertise their cameras with misleading megapixel specs, something that is not allowed in Japan at all any more, makes me not want to trust them. Someone can buy the first one and we'll see.

brachiopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 11:54 AM   #6

Yes the inflated MP specs really annoy me and Aiptek are not the only ones at fault. Still my PVR proved it's usefullness yesterday when my little one starting walking on his own unaided. My wife used the PVR to record this event and we then sent the video clip off to friends and family
Old Aug 22, 2006, 1:29 PM   #7

I think in my eyes its gonna be on the bases of a cellphone camera/camcorder not of an digital camera lol:G

they take a good pic, my cellphone hmm is it optical or digital Lol wish I knew never said in my specs?

but I think its more like 2x or 3x and the camera a lil more
Old Aug 24, 2006, 12:49 PM   #8

I called Walgreens today, and they said they had the camera/camcorder's

in stock for shipment. They could not tell me how many they had. I am

using the DV8800 and really like it. The zoom, and not having to take

the battery out to charge it would be nice.
frizzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 12:51 PM   #9

I will wait until Target have it, as they are likely to do a promotion on it at some point which will make it a more attractive buy if you already own a DV8800/PVR.

I wonder why Walgreens of all places is getting this first rather than Amazon.com or Target?
Old Aug 25, 2006, 5:22 PM   #10

No Target yet ... just Walgreen's ($179)and aiptek.com ($199).:sad:

Specs at aiptek.com show a third resolution of 720 X 480 @ 20 fps. This isn'tshown in the Taiwan site specs for the Z100 Pro.:?
Old HACer is offline   Reply With Quote