Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 27, 2006, 7:22 AM   #11

butter I understand your Frustration...........

1 mp3

will hold a lot more than 4 songs. you must sit down and figure out you're doing something wrong.

but hey its in your hands and maybe the sd card is perfectly in there and a pin is nottouching? I am sure you are using the correct drives

example

drive c is the pc drive d is your dvd or cd drive f is the aiptek internal and drive g is the aipteiks external

you may have drive f and g mixed up it happs?

2 the sd card is an electronic device and like most other cameras they have restocking fees or return policies

explain thesituation to the location

that you Purchase this and its your first purchase wit ha sd unit and was recommended that you get an exteded memory, and now I am returning for reasons I have no reason to use a sd card alone they wil most likely refund your money.

if not Ebay or at a job school or bulliten board will sell fast.

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 9:06 AM   #12

Hi Butter,

I hope we don't appear argumenatative. We are just trying to get a better understanding of your opinion for future reference. These things can be quite subjective.

Did you see my video clips on the forums here for the PVR which is the same as the DV 8800? I am assuming that when you mean 'it records terribly' you are not meaning the actual clarity of the video, but that it cannot handle fast panning shots etc. right? You said earlier "not really poor video, BUT more poor video recording." which implies what I said although please correct me. You also said "Like I said if your not very close and holding the camera still, your not getting a good video." which doesn't sound right. Are you sure you don't have the silver lens switch in the macro postion? (ie in the up position) since this would give a similar symptom as you describe. This is meant to record objects much closer to the camera and would make those further away blurry.

As to the mp3 problem, this sounds like you are using internal memory as 4 songs would be about right for the 16MB. This is assuming that you transferred them via the cable and did not stick them on the card of course which I would assume as you do not have a card reader. When you turn the device on with an SD card in the slot, there should be a card icon to the left of the battery icon on the display. If not, then it is using internal memory which would explain the problem you are having. I myself do not use the mp3 capability as I already have better devices, and yes one of them is an ipod although only a 1GB nano :-)

Pretty much all these devices are going to suffer similarly with regards to video recording. The best of these devices currently are the Sanyos but they of course cost a lot more.

Sorry that things didn't work out for you, but at least you tried one out and I find that you really have to find out for yourself in the end.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 10:44 PM   #13

Tell you the truth you guys have been a big help, as for the mp3 the card icon is showing up next to the battery indicator. I used the usb cord and transfered about 100 songs to the camera, and it said in the mp3 folder that all the files were transfered, so i dont know if they got lost but if so where could they have gone, im gonna still play with this to see if im not using it right, plus my girlfriend likes it and doesnt want me to send it back, but hay keep the tips and info coming THANKS
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2006, 2:56 AM   #14

Butter thats th glory of these things you get attached as you keep playing........

1. reformat the card start over if you do not mind losing all the junk...

2 if you need the stuff use a card reader open up the main folder

example

dcim. is the main folder

you'll see subfolders named here

one is the camera and the other mp3 if you do not see the mp3

A. open hte camera up go to the mp3 and try playing or hit play then go back and open it up via usb cable or card, now you have a mp3 folder there store all your mp3's there and all shall play

what happs you need this folder it may or may not say you needa folder in the book and that is your trouble
Old Aug 28, 2006, 8:34 AM   #15

Butter,

Hehe I can relate to your girlfriend not wanting you to send it back. My wife liked the look of it too when I got it and at the time I was also thinking of taking it back but I ended up keeping it, because at the end of the day it's not bad for the money. She also said it looks so much more professional in Black! :lol:

I agree with fishycomics in that you should buy a card reader. They are extremely inexpensive these days. I use a Lexar one from Walmart that cost me under $20 but you can get them even cheaper than that online.

Old Aug 28, 2006, 11:22 AM   #16

color makes a world of difference? yes

If I had a choice yes I would chosen not silver

as for the card reader or card. you'll need one as why Aiptek or other companies give you a 8,16,32, or even 64 meg of space

I believe it shares the buffer read/write as well. which is needed for the firmware around 6 meg-10 meg

it'll get you going but man hey I need more pics and vids

I should konw I had the dv3000 with no internal memory and a 32 meg card over 1 c-note a few years back. 5 years ago WOW!
Old Aug 28, 2006, 12:29 PM   #17

Well to be fair, the internal memory is only really intended to get you started. It's cheaper for them to provide a little bit of internal memory than include a memory card. Digital camera manufacturers are doing this more and more as well instead of including a starter card.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 1:45 PM   #18

aiptek gives you just a few megs to fool around with as well as others but outside sd card companies are getting their sd cards there for free as well. its a choice one must make
Old Sep 2, 2006, 7:48 PM   #19

Why would you ever want the dv in any other color then silver?!

As for the quality of the 8800's pics&vids all I can say is you get what you pay for :roll:!

What I don't like about the 8800 is that cap that protects the USB & AV-IN connections, that's just terrible, holding it with that piece of plastic instead of using a plain old rubber cap (which couldn't of cost'em that much more to make, could it?!)...

Also, but I guess this is a question of firmware there are occasions in which 8800 just locks up (usually when I mess about with its PMP function, trying to play movies on it)... Anyone figured out what should the compression settings be to get the 8800 to playa movie without those movement vector & quantization artefacts (regular compression divxmovie played on the 8800 getsblocky from the get go, guess 'cause my compression settings are just too complex for it to handle, anyone figured out what to set to manually compress movies and not use that ArcSoft converter).

One other thing I noticed, when AV-IN's connected to the 8800, and you try to plugin the headphones to it, to turn off the audio that's heard on the 8800's built-in speaker it seems that won't work if the audio input is a stereo signal (seems only one headphone gets the audio signal the other is silent, and still there's sound heard from the built-in speaker)!?

One question regarding replacement batteries. What is the greatest mAh capacity replacement battery on the market that can be found for the 8800, where?! I seem to have found some regular NOKIA cell-phone batteries (modelBMC-3) that seem to be the same size and shape, even mAh capacity, but the voltage level is 3.6V? Those wouldn't work with the 8800, right (besides, probably charging them on the charger that came with the 8800 probably wouldn't charge'em enough or would overcharge'em b4 showing the green led light, right)?! Are there any other battery (cell phone)brands (or even otherbattery models made for nokia phones)thatare shaped the same as the 8800's battery, but with bigger capacity (that would be charge on the 8800's charger fine -howbad could it beif they were to differ either in voltage or capacity levels then the battery that came with the camera)?

TIA

novinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 8:11 PM   #20

hay guys i erased all data off the memory card by pressing the delete all button and i press format by mistake, whenever i used the camera the memory card was in the slot so is there any chance that pics or video didnt get erased? I didnt hook it up to my pc and erase anything like fishy said so is the pics and video's gone, because i would hate for anything on there to be seen by anyone else?
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote