Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 2, 2006, 9:26 PM   #21

Ahhhhh.... Home made pr0n :lol:... Ok, best way to ensure that the data that's been erased from a flash memory card is really erased is to fill it up (once formated first) with bumch of other stuff and delete that stuff again.

AFAIK, doingthat once should be enough. I'm pretty sure I've read that there's erasing software out there that to conform to some DoD standards does that kind of he procedure up to 10 times or so... Guess those DoD guys have some more sophisticated ways of bringing back erased pr0n than us army regulars :-)

[EDIT]

Just so this post of mine stays within the topic i've remembered two other thing I don't really like about the 8800 and would like to see them get improved...

One, there's no cap for the lens!? Why?! Is there any1 who can tell me if there's some other camera's one that can be usedto cover& protect the lens of the 8800?!

Two, the flash! I don't know if it's just mine, but the flash behaviour is really bad, why can't it be set to flash only once (why it has to flashthree times?!)... I kinda havea hard time explaining to ppl plz not to move before the flash flashes not once, but three times (which takes 'bout 2 seconds)?! Any chance that could be fixed in a new firmware release?!

novinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 9:29 PM   #22

what does formating it do? cause im pretty sure i erased the stuff first then pressed format by accident but either way after i erased the card numerous times, i recorded other stuff and erased that a few times also, so you think its gone ?
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 9:39 PM   #23

Really sorry, :roll:I'm a bit too lazy to google right now, but I'm sure there's a simple explanation on what a format on a flash mem card does to the card... I'm sure also there's software out there that can restore data after format's been done so... Best to fill up the card with new non-sensitive data, and then erase that data... That'll ensure that if anyone tries to unformat the card they'll be getting the data that you don't mind them seeing in the 1st place...

Any chance anyone could just answer couple of those questions I've set on the drawbacks of the 8800, plz. Just read a couple of posts b4 this one. My current 8800's firmware is version is1401, hw 00? TIA

[UPDATE]

I found nokia batteries model BLD-3that are supopse to be 3.7V (compatible with - Nokia 2100, 3200, 3300, 6220, 6610, 6610i, 7210, 7210e, 7250, 7250i phones). Unfortunatelly they're just 780mAh, any1 knows of any other batteries for those phones that r stronger!?

Old Sep 2, 2006, 11:22 PM   #24

Butter,

You basically need to find a memory card recovery program. Something like this: http://www.pcinspector.de/smart_medi...uk/welcome.htm

I just realised you said you formatted the card and overwrote it, so basically you're probably done for.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 11:25 PM   #25

no i already sent it back to aiptek i just wanted to make sure it was gone off that memory card i checked over and over and nothing was showing so i assumed the memory card was empty but now im scared because of all this memory recovery mumbo jumbo
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 11:32 PM   #26

novinski wrote:
Quote:
Why would you ever want the dv in any other color then silver?!
Quote:
er.. and why wouldn't you?!
Quote:
As for the quality of the 8800's pics&vids all I can say is you get what you pay for :roll:!
Quote:
All things considered, its pretty good for the money. You only have to go back afewyears and the internal memory alone would've cost more than the camera. In good light the photos are certainly nothing to be ashamed off.
Old Sep 2, 2006, 11:34 PM   #27

I wouldn't worry about them recovering stuff from the memory. Why would they even bother? As long as you haven't been using it for suspicious purposes or have stuff on their that would ruin your life if they ever did manage to recover it I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
Old Sep 3, 2006, 7:09 AM   #28

Answering in thew Quote

novinski wrote:
Quote:
Why would you ever want the dv in any other color then silver?!
Quote:
ANS: Silver is an excellent color for some a change is better Black is preferred for a more professional look, as well as red for the ladies.

As for the quality of the 8800's pics&vids all I can say is you get what you pay for :roll:!
Quote:
ANS: Yes We Must understand the Hybrids are made for a PC not a tv or professional world.

What I don't like about the 8800 is that cap that protects the USB & AV-IN connections, that's just terrible, holding it with that piece of plastic instead of using a plain old rubber cap (which couldn't of cost'em that much more to make, could it?!)...
Quote:
ANS: My Plasti Flap is off but the rubber is stil on. a rubber insert will tend not to stick on all the time as plastic matchs the cameras shell.

Also, but I guess this is a question of firmware there are occasions in which 8800 just locks up (usually when I mess about with its PMP function, trying to play movies on it)... Anyone figured out what should the compression settings be to get the 8800 to playa movie without those movement vector & quantization artefacts (regular compression divxmovie played on the 8800 getsblocky from the get go, guess 'cause my compression settings are just too complex for it to handle, anyone figured out what to set to manually compress movies and not use that ArcSoft converter).
Quote:
ANS: you must use Arc Converter or 3rd party sftwr. 320x240 is greyed and cannot be changed camera will function best in that resolution for playback. ( will be off synck in 640 when recording off a set top) the bit rate should be 1.5 nb as the FPS 29.97 the sound 125k the codec mpeg-4 asf. rename file CLIP0001 or higher. you will not be able to load anything other if renamedcorrectly in thecamera unless you know of tricks to do so ( hint)
One other thing I noticed, when AV-IN's connected to the 8800, and you try to plugin the headphones to it, to turn off the audio that's heard on the 8800's built-in speaker it seems that won't work if the audio input is a stereo signal (seems only one headphone gets the audio signal the other is silent, and still there's sound heard from the built-in speaker)!?
Quote:
ANS: Nice find but av in is ment for any output source to go in the camera not the reverse way you'll mute all the features and like you said one side will play. The Plug is video, audio (mono) you may purchase or modd a steriojack to a video source, and a mono audio source converting it to left and righ for an external mic. butwhy would you plug anything welse in there??

One question regarding replacement batteries. What is the greatest mAh capacity replacement battery on the market that can be found for the 8800, where?! I seem to have found some regular NOKIA cell-phone batteries (modelBMC-3) that seem to be the same size and shape, even mAh capacity, but the voltage level is 3.6V? Those wouldn't work with the 8800, right (besides, probably charging them on the charger that came with the 8800 probably wouldn't charge'em enough or would overcharge'em b4 showing the green led light, right)?! Are there any other battery (cell phone)brands (or even otherbattery models made for nokia phones)thatare shaped the same as the 8800's battery, but with bigger capacity (that would be charge on the 8800's charger fine -howbad could it beif they were to differ either in voltage or capacity levels then the battery that came with the camera)?
Quote:
ANS: Li-On -3.6vdc the best battery to fit in there is a -3.6vdc nokia rated at a higher Mah I like to say 100 mah but I believe its just a lil higher than 850.
Quote:
the Usance is a 8210 model us-p 3.7v 850 mah got just 1 volt more
Quote:
as long as no flash is used you do not need that volt.
Quote:
Now you can opted to place 6volts to thecamera and you'll start to pixalate your screen , thisis the highest you can place on thecamera.
Quote:
you may run 4.5vdc-5.0vdc usb port which is in a 120vac converted to 5.0vdc
Quote:
your battery charger is a 4.2vdc rated at 450 mah leading you to believe hey why a 850 mah battery in a 450mah charger
Quote:
what you may not notice is that AIPTEK Uses NOKIA batteries and chargers. yep that's why a nokia li-on myfriend
Quote:
you may opted for a higher mah if found nothing will happen............
TIA
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 7:12 AM   #29

Butter if you follwed what I was saying

A external would betotally erased. on the external sd card the external overrides the internal memory you cannot combine external and internal

B you'll need to do the same with the sd card out to delete the internal memory same thing you follow the same instructions

a sd card can be retrieved by software if you accedently deleted them but i think its not worth the trouble.\Best bet was to snp a shot after deletion and then re delete.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 5:58 PM   #30

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
One other thing I noticed, when AV-IN's connected to the 8800, and you try to plugin the headphones to it, to turn off the audio that's heard on the 8800's built-in speaker it seems that won't work if the audio input is a stereo signal (seems only one headphone gets the audio signal the other is silent, and still there's sound heard from the built-in speaker)!?
Quote:
ANS: Nice find but av in is ment for any output source to go in the camera not the reverse way you'll mute all the features and like you said one side will play. The Plug is video, audio (mono) you may purchase or modd a steriojack to a video source, and a mono audio source converting it to left and righ for an external mic. butwhy would you plug anything welse in there??
I would just like to get the earphone pluging in to turn off the built-in speaker (it does so when I playback recorded video, or when I turn on the mp3 player function), so why shouldusing DV-IN and pluging in the headphonesbe any different?! My guess is that this could be fixed in a new firmware release. I'm hoping there's someone from AIPTEK reading this...

Quote:
you may run 4.5vdc-5.0vdc usb port which is in a 120vac converted to 5.0vdc
Just one question about the ac to dc converter,when I plug the 8800 to a PC over USB sure it can work without a battery but I needs to be set inCamera or Diskmode and both of thoseturn the LCD display off, but I'd like it to stay on?! I'd like to buy a dc converter, but only if after connecting it to the 8800 the LCD display will stay on and not go into either Camera or Disk mode?! Has anyone tried this, could you write what happens after you connect it to the AC converter, plz!? That would be a great too for when I'm using the 8800 as asmall TV preview screen with the DV-IN (hooked up to another signal feed)plugged in. Just if only pluging the headphones would mute the builtin 8800's speaker (I then wouldn't have to mute it all the time via the remote and then turn it back up again when I see something interesting)...

:|I'm repeating myself but I gotta ask about the flash behavior once again... Is everyone elses PVR acting the same as mine is? Flashing three times when taking a picture?!?! I realize its trying to reduce the redeye by doing that but it's taking too much time to take the picture so ppl tend to start moving after it flashes the first time and I'm left with a blurry picture afterwards :-)Any chance there's a firmware version with thisbehaviour beingan optioninstead of the only non-changeable default setting!?! BTW, I can't seem to save the settings I set for picture taking? Every time I turn off and turn back on the 8800 the settings revert back to what they were before I set them up?! General settings save just fine though, it's just the camera settings that won't save?