Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 23, 2006, 7:02 PM   #1

Hay everyone as you can see im new here, and i know that this has been discussed countless times. BUT i just bought the pocket dv 8800 it should be here tommorrow i paid 199.99. I want to know is this model obselete or is it fairly new and very nice, i will be using it mainly for recording video and pictures. Just wanted some feedback on this model, oh and ive been reading a lot of posts on here and to tell you the truth I UNDERSTAND ALMOST nothing of the lingo yall use, so if anyone could put it in a simple version for the "digi impaired" {how's that} i would appreciate it much THANKS FOLKS
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2006, 8:37 PM   #2

Welcome Butter

the DV8800 is a 8 meg apixal camcorder and is fairly new it is realy new to the USA while it has been available to the UK and oversewas longer.

has excewllent features same as the dv6800 but 2 meg more of cmos and megapixa

cmos is a sensor ccd is a better sensor either one is good its prefrence.

Well I'll let others Jump in to add their comment

and 150 is a normakl price today.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 11:11 PM   #3

If you look under my Black PVR thread, you will see some sample video and photos that I took. The PVR in Bestbuy for $149 is the camera under another name. I take it you bought yours off the Aiptek website, in which case you get a bunch of extras which explains the higher price.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 9:54 PM   #4

Yea I just got it today and it looks pretty good, but can i just play my videos thru my TV and record straight to a DVD if I have a DVD RECORDER ?
Old Aug 25, 2006, 9:03 AM   #5

yep sure can that's why it's called tv playback.:G

hook up the tv out to the dvd and I recommend you get a Y adaptor for the aud since it may be a single rca aud/mono
Old Aug 27, 2006, 12:14 AM   #6

WOW big waste of money, I wish Ihadbought a I-POD. This is sloppy as hell, I mean you have to hold your hand still as a statue to get a good pic and for video its even worse, if only i had known. ANYONE wanna trade for a 30 gb I-POD ?
Old Aug 27, 2006, 1:01 AM   #7

Could you expand on your explanation as to what you perceive as poor video?

Doesn't where you purchased it have a return policy? I know Aiptek.com does.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2006, 2:12 AM   #8

not really poor video, BUT more poor video recording. Like I said if your not very close and holding the camera still, your not getting a good video. And zooming in while recording, forget about it. TERRIBLE I mean i really thought that this would be a good little buy, but hay IM glad you posted because they do refund your money, hope they dont try any funny business, and its not possible to erase the memory card is it? I bought the 2gb memory card also and that would be 50 bucks that would be great to get back......
Old Aug 27, 2006, 7:17 AM   #9

butter Welcome to the electronics world

1. you r pc has a card rreader? sounds like no due to you not knowing how to erase

1. go into the camera and go to playback that's either clicking on the tft screen center button or the nemu. then hit mode

you'l be asked to delete one or all. delete all. but itwill delete only the picture and vid and mp3 and voice not the files

you need a pc to do this go into the pc and let the camera get recognised

go to the driver

and select

let it open and then go over with the mouse and delete the file done

2. optical zooming. needs a tripod the more you zoom the mor you need control. it seems you are tryingto zoom with digital, eitherdigital or optical does not matter, you'l have shakes with the stabilization with the best or worst camera

go for an Ipod justremember its nota hybridcamcorder . moreexpensive and a better toy yes but it will not improve your filmngskills.

return policies are always welcomed on the site you purchased some may restock with fees and you also may be payiing for the returns as well in shipping talk to the contact person they'll waive it sometimes good luck and sorry you're dissappointed.

as RGV. said more eplaination needed
Old Aug 27, 2006, 7:30 AM   #10

more explanation ? I dont know how else to put it to you guys, but it justs records terribly. AND you know what else, the so-called MP3 player is a dam joke. Listen to this, the MP3 player only holds 4 songs and dont ask me how much capacity i had at the moment because i said i bought a 2gb memory card and only have about 4 pictures stored so it only holds 4 songs that probably the hardest thing to get over i could deal with the not so god video and picture taking as im sure i could still use this in the future but 4 SONGS ? Thats like a slap in the face man lol, it has to go back. SO fishy are you saying that I can return my memory card as well ? Thanks for all the feedback !!!