Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 29, 2006, 6:14 PM   #1

Is the Sony Cybershot the best digital camera/ movie taker ?

I'm looking for a camera that takes good pictures and records solid movies. I'm a leader ofa student organization on my campus and I want to capture some of our performances on video, obviously I do not have the money for a camcorderbecause I'm a broke college student. I need a hybrid, somethin takes great pictures and solid movies (Meaning record up to the size of my memory stick).

Thanks
Marvin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2006, 7:55 PM   #2

First a welcome aboard

sony Cybershot is a neat expensive toy

compare a digital camcorder to a hbrid you may want to check out a sanyo exacta c6 or its latest one's they start at around 400.00usc

but if you want to get your handsdirty the enexpensive way any brand you desire

DXG Umax,audiovox mustek aiptek digilife ispan

they willdo the same thing, work?

my suggestion to you

the cheapest model found is within a few lines down

the aiptek dv5500 at 45.00 usc 10 percent of theprice of a sony:G
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2006, 10:13 PM   #3

Sony Cyber-Shot is their generic name for a range of cameras not just one model. I am assuming though that you mean the M1?

For that price, as fishycomics said, you may want to check out the Sanyo Xacti's as they seem to have the best reputation for video quality among these types of devices.

You say you can't afford a Camcorder but for that money you can get a pretty decent miniDV that would be easier to edit. Of course their picture taking ability is usually pathetic even compared to budget digital cameras. It all depends on which is more important. I am assuming that you need both which is why you are looking at the hybrids.

The cheaper hybrids may well work for you, as long as you are aware of their limitations. You really need to try and buy one somewhere that has a good return policy so you can make sure that it will cope with all the situations you are likely to use it in. Many slam the hybrids because they expect them to behave like a $500 camera.

If you are shooting in places that are well lit, then you should be ok and the results can be quite surprising. Again you need to judge this for yourself.

When choosing a cheap hybrid make sure it can record at least 640x480 and 30fps. Some that look like a bargain may only record at 320x240 often with a lower framerate.

Good Luck!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 3:58 AM   #4

As RVGcam is saying:

I started out with a Mustek dv3000 and the frame rate was at 640x480 and 320x240 the problem was when I expanded to a larger view on a monitor I got pixalation big time

view the sample videos

I knew what I expectected and I do not slam my self for that in 2001 that hybrid costed me 300.00 let alone I needed a sd card over 100.00 and I was forced to use economy mode

today you have the world at your fingertips

go purchse one test it try it return it if you have to auction it you lose a rental fee :G
Old Aug 30, 2006, 9:02 AM   #5

3000? You sure you don't mean 300.:lol: At least I hope you do!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 11:48 AM   #6

after all my purchases yep 3,000.00 :G

yep I make tons of Mistakes thaks RGV.......

Old Aug 30, 2006, 3:16 PM   #7

First off I would like to thank you Fishycomics for your excellentreviews on the Hybrid cameras. Ive been reading your topics and watchingyour samplevideo clips.

Those hybrid cameras seemed to be priced at something I could afford. The reason why I mentioned the Sony Cybershot is because I was looking into getting a used one for a little less than half of its value...

You mentioned the Aiptek Dv5500

That sounds good because it can record an unlimited amount of video, however the problem comes down to the still images it produce. From what I've gathered the quality of the pictures are not good when printed. I wanted to create a photo album for my organization and I want some decent quality pictures...

Do you still recommend the Aiptek DV5500?
Old Aug 30, 2006, 3:21 PM   #8

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
Sony Cyber-Shot is their generic name for a range of cameras not just one model. I am assuming though that you mean the M1?

For that price, as fishycomics said, you may want to check out the Sanyo Xacti's as they seem to have the best reputation for video quality among these types of devices.

You say you can't afford a Camcorder but for that money you can get a pretty decent miniDV that would be easier to edit. Of course their picture taking ability is usually pathetic even compared to budget digital cameras. It all depends on which is more important. I am assuming that you need both which is why you are looking at the hybrids.

The cheaper hybrids may well work for you, as long as you are aware of their limitations. You really need to try and buy one somewhere that has a good return policy so you can make sure that it will cope with all the situations you are likely to use it in. Many slam the hybrids because they expect them to behave like a $500 camera.

If you are shooting in places that are well lit, then you should be ok and the results can be quite surprising. Again you need to judge this for yourself.

When choosing a cheap hybrid make sure it can record at least 640x480 and 30fps. Some that look like a bargain may only record at 320x240 often with a lower framerate.

Good Luck!

Thanks RGV for the advice, if I'm going to get a hybrid Cam I will look for one that records at 30fps.

Old Aug 30, 2006, 3:37 PM   #9

I would not recommend any hybrid at all, if you are going to be professional about it. I believe you are best off with a Carl zeius lens and an Optical zoom. the sony cybershot likeRGVcam says comes in a few styles

this is the one stuck in my mind.
I was going to Purchase tthis oneday but never did.

Pictures are of a hybrid at a regular 3 meg's and that is fine for me 4x6 photo or blown up 8x10
they do work out fine but a professional flash and optical is needed most of the time for what I think you got in store for the use of the hybrid

if you take note: the hybrid is a hand me down to the kids
get them started , keep them busy while you drive. etc. it keeps them occupied and that said its a size of a bar of soap :G
it does its trick for me I love all my brands andmodels. breaks my day up
kinda understand what I am saying.
want a gadget its the perfect toy. want professional, andmay be a Promotion its a choice you got to make