Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 29, 2006, 8:53 PM   #1

I'm looking for a camera within the $100-$150 USD range.

This camera will be used for independent film projects so I am mostly interested in finding a model that performs best capturing motion such as runners, cars, athletes, etc.etc.

DEATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2006, 10:37 PM   #2

I'm at a loss here, I just am not sure what I should buy.
I can spend $100-$150 USD and the camera will need to be reliable for filming motion such as cars, athletes, simulated combat etc.etc.

I am already assuming I don't want to go below 640 X 480 @30 FPS.

Is there anything else I should know or does anyone know a camera that meets this criteria off hand?

Old Aug 30, 2006, 2:53 AM   #3

Welcome aboard Death........

1 a bigger viewing screen aiptek has a 2.4 inch screen

as well as others

I hear there is a hybrid I cannot remember if i posted it or someone did of a 3 incher.

the bigger the better.

640x480 are ak the hybrids they film at you want a 30 fps that's important

I also hear there is a 60 fps and jpeg motion

I recommend you do some research and all prefrence

the PDVr by aiptek or MPVr even the Is-dv are great lil ones

as well as the 12m the 8300 and 8200 by Mustek

otherwise you need to ask this in the other thread if a hybrid is not fir you

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2006, 12:15 AM   #4

At this point I'm considering the DXG-506V or the Aiptek MPVR. I'm finding out a lot of these cams don't have tripod mounts which is an absolute necessity for my needs.

My real issue is the price of these little gadgets, they are absolutely ridiculous. I have a hard time considering spending over $75 on one and it looks like the Aiptek will cost me almost double that.

Does anyone have some links I might nab the MPVR for around 100 bucks??
I saw on one thread that it had been found for $88 but that's some incredibly useless information without a link or source.

Lastly, what about these microtek Mv500's??
They appear to be the best design and price for this class and specs but almost every review I've read says the batteries drain themselves and they're just horrible cameras altogether.
Old Sep 2, 2006, 6:35 AM   #5

Death you're on a budget.

and you need to realy look and tel us al the cameras you are concidering

1 theDXG 506V

2 the MPVR

3 the Microtec M500 series

and a budget of 100-150 that now went down to 75 with a steady 640x480 @30 fps? and must have a trpiod

lets try t oanswer these questions

A. It is a Holiday Weekend your answers will come after the holidays if people truely want to help? Sorry I do my best as always . holiday or not.

B The dxg 506V http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=92

read the review it is a 305V review there is a great deal of Info in there you will notice the camera it has a tripod and can film in 30 fps @ 640x480, I will tell you this the camera is over your Budget it runs around 130-150 and can be had in an auction shipped at 80-90 bucks. one must be paitent.

the screens 1.7 incher squinting eyes, and white lettering not good to see in the sunny days the batteris are of 4aaa's and they will drain under the Hour mark, the camera has no stabilization which is A PLUS in my book, a useless flash. it will be a dissapointment for you DXGUSA>COM is a website for specs and info

bestbuy and circuit city.

The screen will mostly be of white they want you to see more of the filming and not of icons blocking your View, DXG does show an icon red circle thats good as well as a led outside, the Aiptek has the same issue but on a 2.5 " screen and a flicker flashing led nice

C the Aiptek MPVr, and PDVr wil be your better hybrids 1.5 hour battery life purchase an extra Li-on at 1 cent and 5.00 shipping or 2 more a lil extra

Yes they were available and will again be soon at 88.00 sales go on each holiday. bestbuy andcircuit city are not the places for these hybrids due to they never had them before they were being swallowed alive by target so they got people in by a lower price that's my opinion. theyeven got the PDVr at that insane price. and youcan get it at 10% off on an open Item if lucky. the review is up take your time and read it as well

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=92

the camcorder has a tripod andwhen you have the cover fully closed it will be hard to open no bigie better than the dxgwhere it is a batery cover andthe aiptek is of a metalic like inner thread aluminum I believe over plastic threads of a DXG yes a far better camera go to eby try your best to get one at 75.00 you'll be waiting

D http://www.microtek.com.sg/125-170

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...C-STREETPRICES the m300 at 70.00

the Microtek MV500 is a sure winner I totally agree it is a nice looking camcorder what I noticed is you have two video outputs avi, asf, and two battery sources a li-on oraaa (4) that is perfect have you also noticed that this is a simular Model Of a DXG. and there is another model as well called, sorry its here in the thread

159.99-125

what I found was yep someone owning one read it andbetter post for theri respons

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=92

the camera i was looking for is out of stock and will name later but back to the topic. these cameras are of the DXG family and your local radioshack had them not at a low price either at 99.00 at one time

well I believe this will get you started in your search and make you a tab more confused hope you decide on a model. remember you're budget must be open to a little higher price ranfge for something professiona, but you did have a good pic. and if one person had troubles does not mean you will.

I got a super ebay deal and I cannot complain for a few bucks yep not gonnasay which camera.............

Old Sep 4, 2006, 2:38 AM   #6

It appears I've been had!

I purchased the Mustek DV5300SE which spec'd at 640x480 @30 FPS, turns out it only records @10 FPS in 640 mode. What a kick in the crotch this will turn out to be I am certain. No way it will fulfill my needs with such miniscule frame capture.

I've found the DXG506V and Microtek MV500 both for about 100 bucks but I must be honest, I've looked the units with these specs over really well and none seem really worth more than 50-60 bucks for what they are.

I think the Microtek MV500 is probably the best choice in this class and $100 price range. I found some VERY mixed reviews but that's the case with all these cameras. Bottom line is, the Microtek just appears to be designed better. I'm a bit of a novice electronics technician..mad scientist really, and know most the time they're all the same camera internally or mild variation of the same camera.

Good news is, I found those cameras that cheap from actual websites rather than sneaky ebay sellers.
Old Sep 4, 2006, 6:13 AM   #7

If you dug deep I had posted up a topic on the 5300 or 5600se its [email protected] the 9300 is the one you're after but notthat price

I have the Mustek andI say you're better off with them

did you return this camera or gonna wait for it to beshipped?
Old Sep 4, 2006, 7:56 PM   #8

I'll be contacting them to cancel the order, I suspect they haven't shipped it yet since it's the holiday. If they have shipped it, I'll mark it "REFUSED:RETURN TO SENDER" once I receive it which won't cost me anything since it's parcel post.

Fishy you seem to be the guru on these cams.
Which in your opinion will suit my needs best?

The DXG 506?

The Microtek MV500?

The Mustek 9300?

To me the Microtek looks to be the best as far as design/appearance is concerned but that's just not enough to get my money without getting some expert opinions first......