Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 31, 2006, 1:50 PM   #1

DXG 305 360 degree view click me<<==click me

DXG 305V video click me<<== click me

Welcome to the DXG 305V, 506V review

the DXG goes by a few Well known names Hanshing, Umax, Creative, and possably other companies as well.

The DXG 305V is a 3 megapixal hybrid

The DXG 506V is a 5.1 megapixal hybrid

The DXG 506V is a 12 megapixal hybrid now.

DXG 305V home page for full details and description click me

Before we get started I like to say,The hybrid camcorders that are shown are great beginners camcorders that will get you started in photoography, and video, and keep you occupied as well as a young kid to an elderly person, they are not a Professional device or for experts. but of all general users expect the best you'll recieve the best , expect the worst you'll be dissappointed in a heartbeat,. Thank you .

The DXG 305 is a very stylish looking hybrid, has a number of colors starting out with the Main color Silver other colors are blue, red, black, Pink, lime camaflage ( green, tan army color) ( may be mistaken). The 305V comes in 2 models, and now a 3rd, 3 meg, 5 meg, and now 12 meg all interpolated and at 4x digital zoom ( software enhanced)

The Resolution FPS, and Jpeg are as follows:

Video ( resolution) 506 model films in 30 FPS all

640x480 @15 fps and can be saved in three sized files basic, normal, and fine

640x480 @ 30 fps DXG 506V model only ( RGVCAM points out)

320x240 @ 30fps and can be saved in three sized files basic, normal and fine

Stills (jpeg) 2976x2232 can be saved in 3 file sizes basic, normal and fine

2048x1536 can be saved in 3 file sizes basic, normal and fine

1600 x 1200 can be saved in 3 file sizes basic, normal and fine

640x480 can be saved in 3 file sizes basic, normal and fine

Lets get started with the review....

Section 1 details of the DXG 305V

1. Front view, and tft side view. see left pic. Here is the DXG 305V in Blue you may take note the first thing that catchs your eyes " is that the front, or back?" that is the front and the lens Cover the lens is a F/3.0, f=8.34mm writen on top on the bottom 4x digital zoom (covered for protection) Just below by the D is a red plastic led when the timer is on it blinks red. below the X is the small flash maximum flash range 3-5 feet no more face shot only below the flash is the mini usb cover underneath is the tv playback and pc hook up below the cover is your ear jack for private listening of the voice recorder, and MP3 sounds as well as your video, and still. your strap for the camcorder and lens cap.

Right side pic. Your external speaker 3 hole slot for your playback, volume is in reason. your Tft cover whic has a swival, and has YES a lit DVG will keep lit all the time to show an on preferre it to be side ways as you turn it correct to record a vid. The Mic is located on top near the back a good place I think. with7 holes always can place cotton or foam to cut wind noise there.

2.Back View, and screen Left pic first. You may note the On light is a circle led soft and will change to red for record. On top is your outer circle button 4 way, it will support the EV -2.0- +2.0 in increments of .03 lighter, and 6 darker, you may minipulate your stills , as well as your Video , your timer is set by clicking left then choosing 5 sec, 10 sec, 30 sec, click again to cancel. In still the right side is your flash seting auto on/off, this will react different in other camera settings , MP3, and voice , etc. in the center is yourrecord for video, and still, it is a spring wheel and also acts as a push button. zoom in/out. as well as clicking the menu by the side and choosing different features of the camera. below is your Playback and then your Power slide on/off. If you decide to leave the camcera on it will go to hybernate and then off if you set the constant on/2 minute , 5 minute settings. Right pic . the 1.5 inch screen is a real nice feature you may have to tilt or position over for a truer color some viewing may be off color. the lower button will turn off the icon and go to a help feature to display each button, kinda like a reminder if you wear them out . The 506V has a bigger screen , by .2 inchs 1.7 not much but a larger view is better then none. There is a ton of info to be read about the the function or features of this camcorder.

3. side view functions, and battery cover. here you have all your set feature and or functions Video, still, MP3, Voice, settings on a turn wheel ( push button N/A) your machro/! infinity) switch a 4x digitsl zoom eblem, battery cover/tripod holder. Right side picshows the 4aaa's exposed and the tripod holding a cover (tripod excluded) It is a 3 clip cover forsupport with 4 internal tabs a snug feel to the battery clips while the tripod is of a plastic thread.

4. Inner tft cover left side the sd/mmc card can b read if thecard size is correctly in its plastic cover view . this camera works well with asandisk 256. my flash A-Data 512, recommended size is 512 sd will test later for a higher size card. Right side shows that the screen is able to fully swival and fold back in the camera, the swival is a strongmetal feel on the turn, shows metal parts well , constructed , the swivl does not have locking tabs and can rotate 270 degrees, and even fold 15 degrees down.

Conclusion

the DXG 305V Comes packed with a ton of features that will be talked about in the next few sections. the305v has a excellent choice of colors, that can be the hardest to choose from, instores you may have just one, online a few. The Looks is awesome may resemble a bar Of Soap It is compackt and easy to hold, covering of the Flash will happen, not a problem for me. No worries about the lens it has a cap. the strap is low and the mic is set high one button and aspring wheel with a notch 4aaa batteries will holdstrong keeps a center weight. The camerahaa a smooth eel like plastic metal. it is a highly recommended beginners camcorder, and some may have bad luck with th export models and find DXG a likable brand . lets move on to section 2

Section 2. Video and stills

The DXG hasacouple of modes to save the video and still they are as follows

the video File is saved as mpeg-4ASF. stills Jpeg,MP3 Mp1.0 layer 3.
Video at the highest on the 305V will play a whopping
bitrate of1336.7 kkbs, and a 11.0 fps some video may vary.

Now the important stuff is out of the way lets get into some videos

the video/stills have a file size , and quality mode as talked about at the top of the review

basic, normal, and fine . they also have the resolution and jpeg size

All my footage is of the highest quality. I'll post the other features and note if not noted its the top end stuff.

Please forgive me if youtube or I loaded the wrong video will correct at a latter time and take personal note of the quality of my videos

Video footage is of a car ride will be corrected soon as the weather clears up. to have something is better than nothing at this time

20 sec vids

1. 640x480 fine click me

2 640 x 480 normal click me

3.. 640x480 basic click me

4 320x240 basic. soon to be available

5 direct download<= click me=> password

this is a outdoor video taken Just as a street lamp goes on as well as a soler panel light the ski is still bright it is a direct download about 20 sec s long

Final VIDEO footage here is a short clip around 2 minutes

DXG305v short video clip click me

Stills

pic 1 This is ofthe highest setting to the left, and to the right the lowest as well, below is a full size at the highest, will post a full shot up if needed.

These Pics are of an white ski on a over casted day this will make the camera darker at times or too bright auto is used and a manual function may be needed

Pic 2

This is a picture just as the streetlamps turn on before dark, the first pic to the left is blurred around the trees. the camera has a half shutter if you forget about this added feature you'll come out blurred all the time to theright is the corrected still

more footage to come.

I do have footage but again will wait fora beter day. I can say all Outside shots will be the best bet, as it is overcast you may need to use the Ev setting anddrop -.03 for a natural shot, while at neutral it is bright. All Indoor shots will look very cadle like (saphire) may need a filter orsome sort.

As for the highest quality its best not to move for a good 8 sec's at low quality you may not even see the camera saving.

Note * When you have the camera out besure not to have it on machromode itwill flip up somehow.

section 3 Features and Functions

Vid features. some hybrids have simple point andshoot and cost top dollar, while the DXG 305v adds a ton of extras. we'll go through a list of them, in Vid as well as stills mainly.

As software can do the same thing sometimes it's best left for that so one you have an orginal, , and you can work off that, but sometimes you do not have the time so as the DXG 305v you can turn the cam in the on position, and hit the spring wheel you have 10 feature or functions. they are Normal sephia b & wNegitive red pink blue green yellow. In the menu you have size white balance date (video no date)

these functions are great as other cam' have a photo frame, two in one, stabilizer etc, this cam never and was out before they had these features added. soon after they became available. The DXG506V may now have these features my info is not available the moment

video has a record and play and a counter as well the amount or how many clips taken as well as the stills the res is displayed by the size 640 etc, the quality is displayed by an icon which you may need to remember or leave alone

The still was also mentioned above and as a added feature as you snap your shot most hybrids just grabs your Pic no hold button. The DXG has a half way point so you may hold on to to red lines and after you're lined up full shutter the camera will make the shutter sound if sound is on low, and show a nice yellow loading line within .90 secs and then zoom in a 5 percent Sweet.

The MP3 player has a few features as well you have the ability to read titles of the song. go up to the next or go back to the previous one. rewind and fast fwd you have a BASS, A TREBLE and VOL control while others DO NOT have this you also have single song all and random now that is a better MP3 player over most other hybrids. now while the screen is in an Open position it stays lit but in a closed position it shuts off, only the DXG logo is lit How cool is that if at night you are listening to your hybrid ? turning on its scree 1.2 secs it's on. lastly before closing notes you have a tape playing icon the text scroll accross with the name in full. the time of the song the kbps (kilabites per sec) the song time playing enough said.

voice recorder will be pritty much the same but no bass ,treble you may fast fwd and rewind and possably name your titles on a pc and replay with a file name.

Conclusion

As I skimmed through the features and functions what realy blew me away was how a simple camera can have all that bang for the Buck

full Mp3 song titles seperate bass, treble, volume. 10 modes of color schemes . and more I am very pleased to see more features that are basic and simple to thumb through , easy to find even thoughI cannot find a lcd off there is no need due to the camera hybernates one minute in and closing of the screen what more can one ask for. excellent in my eyes

Section 4Final notes on The DXG 305V

As The review is completed, here i shall say some excellent pointers , and some down sides.

1. The DXG 305v does not have a av in but does not stop you from converting a video outsouce into this camera. The Arc media converter
is by far an easy software to use 3 steps you're done.

conversion vid click me this vid will show exactly how to make a video as well as convert

As I converted and saved my clip to the camcorder i saved everything Not at 15 fps as the camera can handle I went a step further and saved it ast 30 fps (29.97 fps)

MPEG0001, or CLIP0001 these two renames worked for me after converting. I even tried the Aipteks main file from the MPVr and I have distortion a ton of Pixals. resolution must be at 320x240 not 640x480. So yes You may convert and watch any type of file into the DXG but cannot record into the camera direct

2. Battery life: 4 aaa's this will vary . alkaline, rechargables, lithiums. Alkalines will wear fast they are a 1.5 x4 =6 volt system,

3 still shots and vid shots. at daylight it is super hard to seewhite lettering on a light background butthe red record icon helps out, I still like to see my record time.

while the rechargables 1.2 x4 = 4.8vdc, lithiums 1.5x4=6vdc. the aa isdouble the cpacity size leaving a aaa less power or time to use. So, the camera should film a avrage 1.5 hours max on a new, freshly cahrged battery. you may modify this forextra camera or battery life. further testing is needed stay tuned for this.

As I end my review I used to own a hanshing 305V. and had troubles the Problem was.

1. Flash draw too much power, flash is useless will it ever be used?

2. sd card crash causing battery reset. 256k no higher. now a 1 gig card will play no problem, A-Data, San DISk Kingston, panasonic works for me.

So The best thing about this camcorder would be its Mp3 player then the video/stills. I would upgrade to a 506 due to the fact you will get the same features and more on the 506v. 15 or 30fps my eyes cannot tell. 3.14 or 5.1 meg its all interpolated digital zoom is all hype. and what is best this is a great starters camera. I bet you'll have tons of fun pulling it out of the pocket or purse and snapping away shots when you can leave your professional home.

Please compare this review to any other hybrid review in here, and you'll ge a positive output to any of them its a choice you'll have to make.

happy filming ...................................Mod FISHY

direct video link and footage may 2007

1. flowers , panzies http://www.upfordown.com/public/670/MPEG0055.ASF

to be continued you may post as you wish thank you

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2006, 7:02 PM   #2

Hey fishycomics, keep those reviews a coming! They are just what we need. Reviews on these devices are thin on the ground. I am in my favorite coffee shop using the WIFI on my Pocket PC so cannot view the youtube video clips but will later. My only criticism of the review was that I got a bit confused as to which features were specific to each model!

Is the 305 capable of the full 30fps at 640x480?
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 7:05 PM   #3

Regarding the samples. Everyone seems to be using yourtube or putfile, but don't these sites re-sample and re-size the videos? Without being able to see the original videos it is really hard to judge the quality. Perhaps a few words about the reviewers impression of the quality for each sample would help.
brachiopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2006, 7:24 PM   #4

RGCVcam the videos will be redone as driving and filming do not Mix.

the DXG 305V will film at 320x240 @ 30 fps [email protected] both resolutions also have a basic, normal, andfine which will be like sharpness.

the DXG 506V will do all vid in 30fps even the 12meg 305V

I believe i Corrected this on top I may highlight it so less confusion

RGVCam you get the credit forpoiting it out thank you

Brach I use Youtube over Putfile

Putfile after 6 months of unviewing I lose my Vids i had to go back in to the MPVr and watch ad redo all my Vids lol.

Now I can use Bestsharing and password Protect which I kinda control notto have it Flanted all over the net lol and allow you to direct Download for full quality?

If I do find a better site like Videoegg , and google I would post there as well.

yes most will lose res, and be switched to flash.

thanks Branchmaking oyu feel wanted you'll get creedit to as redirecting me to adding a full file link

thanks guys that means a lot to me.:|

Old Aug 31, 2006, 7:57 PM   #5

brachiopod, I am pretty sure that putfile doesn't resample as not only does the video I put up look pretty much the same as my original, but I notice that unless viewers have the appropriate codec that is needed by the Aiptek they seem to be unable to view it. This has caught me out with friends. This is the reason I prefer putfile over youtube which does seem to resample. I am of course quite willing to be corrected on this.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 2:07 PM   #6

The size is different (480), so I assumed that it had been modified.
brachiopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2006, 2:53 PM   #7

Branch

the size of the resolution? its 640x480 at 15 fps for the 305
Old Sep 1, 2006, 4:11 PM   #8

brachiopod wrote:
Quote:
The size is different (480), so I assumed that it had been modified.
You can select other sizes such as 640 underneath. It just defaults to 480. Still this is just resizing not recompressing although I agree that a size reduction will often make a video look better than it is.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 4:12 PM   #9

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
Branch

the size of the resolution? its 640x480 at 15 fps for the 305
No he was commenting on my post about websites recompressing the video.
Old Sep 1, 2006, 4:29 PM   #10

thank you

you may view on youtube but once its blown up in full yuk

Putfile allows a few size formats andone is widescreen as others are of orginal 640, etc.. as RGV cleared it up