Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 3, 2006, 3:31 AM   #1

I have a MUSTEK DV4000. The microphone is very good and very sensitive. I take it to school and use the Voice Recording function to record lectures. I can sit way in the back of the lecture hall and the playback is crystal clear and loud. While other kids with their expensive REAL voice recorder had to take their machines and leave it on the front table with the professor. Ok- so that's how good the voice recording function is on the Mustek dv4000.

I just upgraded to the MUSTEK DV 12M thinking I will now have great audio AND VIDEO. I think am ok with the video quality of the dv12m (havent really tested thoroughly yet), but I think the AUDIO REALLY SUX.

What gives? I thought a newer model would mean better, not worse. If they had it right in the first place, why would they step backward.

I also purchased a Mustek PVR (or something like that) and the Voice Recording function was horrible as well. I was using it sitting at the very front row in the lecture hall and when I played back, I really had to turn up the volume all the way up (on my computer) in order to barely make out what the prof said.

My question is- does anyone know of a camera that has good Voice Recording quality comparable to the Mustek dv4000 while at the same time, I like to also be able to video record at 640 resolution @ 30fps.

Thanks for any info.
gadgetbunnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2006, 12:12 AM   #2

I think that of the hybrid cameras I've had, the Digilife DDV-920 has the best microphone. It's biased a little toward the lower frequencies, but can pick up stuff that I can hardly hear. At the same time, it is very resistant to being overloaded by loud sounds. So it faithfully reproduces a wide range of frequencies and volumes.

The most sensitive microphone I've had was on the DDV-810, but I never liked that camera.

With both the 810 and the 920, you had to be careful using them or they'd record the sound of your breathing.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 6:21 AM   #3

Sorry I cannot answer for this

I own like 12 hybrids and yes the Musteks dv200-4500(5000) are the best by far. even like sg says I owned the Ispan 920 and thesounds were never tested in my case for stadium or classes

the aipte IS-DV did pick up music outside a 1/4 mile away but still needs to be tested for XX footage if you have a footage and can explain what type ofroom you wanttested out I can place up a demo of each hybrid when I have that chance

no onewill do this for you at all But MOD FISHY that's me.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 4:10 PM   #4

I must also just say that my Aiptek 8800's microphone is more sensitive than my dedicateddesktop microphone so I tend to select it more as audio input when using the 8800 as webcam.
novinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2006, 4:42 PM   #5

GadgetBunnie I normally do not forget to give a warm welcome

welcome aboard I have been a busy person I made 4 samples of thesame video the audio is a wav of each camcorder for voice only

as you can see you have a few models I think you willnot wantto hear the lower ones

the aiptek pocket dv5300 low. the is-dv low the aiptek mpvr, PVr are the same so no repeated vids the Mustek dv3 a lil hiss and the 4500 untouchable if you want i can go to the 3500 and3000 but you know the outcome

I also have the DXG305 up and its loud So I hope I did not goof if its up it should say dxg 305v at the start only one's that i did not use its name may be the PVR

PVRhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezXV3FbHQk4PVR

DXG 305Vhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piOjtJJec64

Mustek adventure dv3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cpg8nQMJeo

Mustek dv4500 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLw3AJCdMw8

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 12:03 AM   #6

I neglected to mention that the Digilfe DDV-S670 and DDV-720 (and their many clones) have very insensitive microphones.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 2:24 PM   #7

That's the thing with Camcorder devices. They have to have a compromise between the mic being able to capture all the subtle sounds from the environment while at the same time not picking up your own hand movements and shuffling of clothing etc. especially when there is little external noise.

It's one of the problems that plagues certain models of miniDV camcorder, especially Canon's in that they have good mics but they pick up the sound of the tape mechanism as well. This should be easily solvable but they rarely put adjustable mic gains in these devices.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2006, 11:53 PM   #8

Yes, it seems the best we can hope for is that they have decent compressing microphones, which boost faint sounds and lower loud sounds.

I haven't compared the hybrids I've had as to how much internal noise they pick up. Some record loud noises whenever your hand or fingers move against the case, while others don't record these sounds. My Aiptek DV4500 loved recording the slightest touch of the case or controls. The Digilife DDV-920 and Samsung i6 are pretty good in this regard. With the 920 recording loud sounds without distortion, it comes out on top.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 6:11 PM   #9

Thankyou everyone for your inputs.

Buncha thanks to Fishy for those great sample files.

Good grief! Am so overwhelmed. So many different models number, I cant remember which is which. :?

**** Fishy,

Is there any other Mustek models with sound quality as good as the dv4000 & 4500 but can video tape at 640x480 with 30fps ???

I really like the Mustek brand, I read all the threads here and it seems with other brands, you have to do all the firmware update and you get audio synch problems. With the Mustek 4000 that I have, everything works grand, just too bad it can only video tape at 352x240. ???
Old Sep 19, 2006, 6:18 PM   #10

Alright. I have just returned my Mustek 12M.

I guess I'll go with the Digilife 920 since it has a sensitive microphone.

However, are there newer models in the Digilifeline that also has sensitive microphone?

I read somewhere that either the Digilife 1000 or 1M (I forgot which of the two) has a special sensor (ccd or cmos, I forgot which). Does that model with the special sensor has a good microphone as well???