Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Ink Jet - Inks, Papers, etc.

Old Dec 2, 2006, 1:43 PM   #1

I'm working with wedding photos taken by a professional photographer and included in the package in the form of jpg files on a disk.

My problem is that some of the photos of the groomsmen (wearing black tuxedos) were taken in open shade but with more light on their heads and jackets than on their trousers.

Although the histogram still has a little space at the left side and doesn't show any clipping of the black areas, my prints show a good black with some detail in the coats, but as you look down toward the trousers, the black takes on a sort of purple/magenta tinge which becomes more pronounced as you look at areas which were more and more in a shadow (not as well illuminated).

My printer is a Canon iP6000D, the black ink cartridge is from Canon and I'm printing from Elements 3.0.

I'm using "Kodak High Gloss Premium Photo Paper", which has (up to now) worked fine when the iP6000D driver is set to "Photo Paper Plus Glossy" for it's media type.

Is it possible that another type of paper might keep the deepest black areas from turning a sort of luminous purple/magneta?

Any thoughts on this problem would be appreciated.

-------------------------------- Bill
BillP2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2006, 7:29 AM   #2

I've tried some Canon paper without any improvement.

Has anyone else ever seen this problem?

------------------ Bill
Old Dec 6, 2006, 1:49 PM   #3

While I don't fully understand what's going on here, the problem is solved for now.

Out of desperation, I tried a new black cartridge, but that didn't help.

I ran a nozzle test and found that while the black IDs along the left side of the page printed in black, the light black stripe didn't print out. (This is the first thing I don't understand. How could the ID print out but not the stripe?)

Next, I ran a nozzle cleaning and then re-printed the nozzle test. This time, the black stripe did print.

I then printed one of the photos that were showing the problem in that some of the black tux printed a good black while areas of the tux in shadows took on a sort of magenta tinge. This time the photo printed good blacks throughout the print. (I just don't understand what was causing the problem prints to have some good black and some magenta tinged areas. Does the iP6000D add some magenta to the darkest black, but the nozzel for black was semi-clogged and the black that did get through was over powered by the added magenta?)

---------------------- Bill